'04 12 knocking on deceleration, only when hot... - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

'04 12 knocking on deceleration, only when hot...

Hi Gents

Just a quick shout for some help if possible.

I know it's almost impossible over the net, but here it goes.

When my Babe is at running temp, she has a knock, a low dull thud, only on deceleration, is this what you guys would put as bearing knock? Or is there any other possible thing you could think of?

I'm on my 2nd engine now and before I pull this 1, I'd like some opinions.

I've read all over the web, that it isn't just a matter of replacing bearings as the rod bearings ect.. will be affected and then bolt and then rod journal "trueness" will also need to be checked . Is this true?

From experience, I would like to believe that at this point no damage would have been done to the crank, if it is a bearing, but again would like opinions.

Also, a mechi has told me that the 12 has crank counterbalance weights, that if sticky/loose, could also give the same indication.

The motor is sweet other than this, no chain noise, no rattle nothing, I've changed oil and it looked good with no metal pieces, but a slight silver shimmer in the sun. I'll cut the filter up in the morrow and look closer, but so far it looks clean, shon a torch in it, all that, so far and all good. any comments or opinions, would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys, Ride safe and keep the rubber on the tar.

Sorry forgot to mention, this is when the bike is in Neutral and standing still. Not riding so it cant be chain tension or sprockets. Only thing I have not checked, is pulling in the clutch and listening if there's a difference then.

Last edited by Maddoglips; 01-03-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Forgot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

I can tell you what it isn't, wouldn't and shouldn't be related to; pre-ignition. It wouldn't be because closed throttle operation would reduce the air pressure to the cylinders. So unless your timing plate goes crazy and advances the timing 90 degrees during deceleration, that wouldn't be it.

Timing chains and counter-shaft balances may be at issue if their chains have stretched, which is probable given enough miles on the engine. The CCT chain could be checked to see which tooth it's on and reset to factory tension to give you an idea if it's the timing chain, but the best way to tell that is to actually measure the distance between the links, using the service manual's wear threshold.

How many miles are on this engine and do you know if it has been either run excessively under high load/low RPM/WOT or over-revved in its lifetime?

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX11C, 96 ZX11D, 79 KZ750B, 80 KZ750G, 00 ZX12A1

Is this just one thud, or a series of thuds?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi Guys, Thanks for the quick replies.

Motor has roughly 19000Km's which is roughly 12000Miles. It has been well looked after and regulary serviced and never abused.

The noise is a continual run down THUD THUD THUD as the rpm's decrease.

What did happen though is the A holes never set anything when replacing motor, and I had it overfill the oil with petrol. It never ran long like this, but it did run for a short while so am afraid this could've washed the bearings dry and hence now the knocking.

What are the possibilities of changing the bearings, both big ends and mains with out having to have the rods journals worked on and having to replace the rod bolts? Provided of course there's no damaged other than to the bearing shells.

Apologies for all the questions, but if I can get some other opinions things to try before ripping it apart, it may save me a small fortune as here in Sunny Old SA parts are defi not cheap.

Cheers again.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 PM

I Ride: 1998 ZX9R & 2007 ZX10R

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddoglips View Post
Hi Guys, Thanks for the quick replies.

Motor has roughly 19000Km's which is roughly 12000Miles. It has been well looked after and regulary serviced and never abused.

The noise is a continual run down THUD THUD THUD as the rpm's decrease.

What did happen though is the A holes never set anything when replacing motor, and I had it overfill the oil with petrol. It never ran long like this, but it did run for a short while so am afraid this could've washed the bearings dry and hence now the knocking.

What are the possibilities of changing the bearings, both big ends and mains with out having to have the rods journals worked on and having to replace the rod bolts? Provided of course there's no damaged other than to the bearing shells.

Apologies for all the questions, but if I can get some other opinions things to try before ripping it apart, it may save me a small fortune as here in Sunny Old SA parts are defi not cheap.

Cheers again.

clear this up .... what did you do??

Sir Throttle Twistin, Roo racin, Outbackin Post Whore of ZXF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseld13
I can't believe pastacio nuts are legal. Phuckers are highly addictive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzxter
Soooooooo, until someone comes up with a better solution,......... crop dusting with birth control
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Slim

I drained the oilld and put new filter oil ect...

I also set the TPS voltage to correct as it was reading 0. some what DC volts. I set it to 1.16VDC this bringing it back into the correct range on the fueling for the ECU.

So far, it now aint over fueling and it made a huge improvement to the smoothness and response on the throttle.

Look I guess I'm chasing my own tail here, was keen just to get some other opinions as others may have had similar experiences and it wasn't as severe as I'm imagining. I Hope but doubt it .

Any further comments welcome. I'll see if I can get it warm and record the sound and place a clip on here. That may help
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM

I Ride: 1998 ZX9R & 2007 ZX10R

Garage
on decel a loose chain can thump, causing a surging feel and a weird thump sound.
also if sprockets and chain are worn past spec.

just looking for the easy fix here ......
Is your chain in spec and properly adjusted?

Sir Throttle Twistin, Roo racin, Outbackin Post Whore of ZXF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseld13
I can't believe pastacio nuts are legal. Phuckers are highly addictive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzxter
Soooooooo, until someone comes up with a better solution,......... crop dusting with birth control
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Slim Cheers for the reply M8

Possibley thinking of adjusting the cam chain tensioner and seen if that makes a difference. Hope U got it there M8, haven't seen the actual chain or cam sprockets to check, but might just have to as thats easier than the bottom end.

The noise appears to be from the centre of the block.

Thanks again for the responses, will try and get some things done the weekend and see how it goes.

Cheers
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM

I Ride: ZX12, ZX14, C 14, Yamaha Raider, Triumph Trophy

I was just going to say the same thing as Slim1100. Check the chain tension, check the links for a stiff one, and oil it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM

I Ride: 2000 ZX12

You might want to check your counterbalancer. There is an adjustment procedure which I'll find and post.

http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/3310...-balancer.html

Last edited by Rundog; 01-07-2013 at 10:59 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM

I think counterbalancer is the important part of bike having a specific type of correction i suggest you to take a tour to a garage and find out the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page