First ZX12R - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

First ZX12R

I sat on my first ZX12R today, and even though it was a little rough looking, I was very impressed, it was a 2000 model and it had 16,000 miles and the dealer wanted 4500, a little steep for the shape, but a very comfortable bike for my size. I can't wait to get one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 PM

I Ride: 2000 ZX12

Take your time & shop around. Some very clean, low-mileage examples show up pretty often at good prices.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM

I Ride: 07 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundog View Post
Take your time & shop around. Some very clean, low-mileage examples show up pretty often at good prices.
I don't know what part of the country you're in but out here in PA we see them VERY rarely. i did find a local one for 4500 though w/ 800 miles on it.

07 Escalade
07 Sixxer

Quote:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 PM

From time to time you'll see an extremely low mileage bike. That may or may not be a good thing, depending on how it was stored. Don't limit your search, I shipped my bike from Texas. It was worth it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Here's a real nice one for the same price

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/3256480886.html

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Here's a real nice one for the same price

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/3256480886.html
22K ON IT! No way man, that's not a reliable bike anymore. I don't care what argument is brought up, 22k on a bike is equivalent to 150-200k on a car. And someone with a ZX12R didn't buy it to stay at 4k rpms constantly. 4500 is insanity for a bike w/ that kind of mileage. 3500 makes sense but even then, steer clear because even if it was maintained flawlessly, it's a liability now no matter how you look at it.

07 Escalade
07 Sixxer

Quote:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakypete77 View Post
22K ON IT! No way man, that's not a reliable bike anymore. I don't care what argument is brought up, 22k on a bike is equivalent to 150-200k on a car. And someone with a ZX12R didn't buy it to stay at 4k rpms constantly. 4500 is insanity for a bike w/ that kind of mileage. 3500 makes sense but even then, steer clear because even if it was maintained flawlessly, it's a liability now no matter how you look at it.
That statement has no truth whatsoever.. I have 29k on my zx11 and I still race all the time to 175 mph boucing off redlines and do wheelies and typical hooligan stuff with it never had an issue. I have buddies with over 100k on their bikes and never had to tear them down. One of them has 146k on his honda v65 magna actually and never done more than an oil change or valve adjustment. Bikes will last just as long as a car if you do regular routine things to keep them in top shape.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartleRacing View Post
That statement has no truth whatsoever.. I have 29k on my zx11 and I still race all the time to 175 mph boucing off redlines and do wheelies and typical hooligan stuff with it never had an issue. I have buddies with over 100k on their bikes and never had to tear them down. One of them has 146k on his honda v65 magna actually and never done more than an oil change or valve adjustment. Bikes will last just as long as a car if you do regular routine things to keep them in top shape.

you're completely oblivious...a car and a motorcycle have no relevance whatsoever. The only equivalency is wear and tear. Please tell me a production car motor that revs to 16k and is about the size of some car batteries?

07 Escalade
07 Sixxer

Quote:

Last edited by Sneakypete77; 09-27-2012 at 09:16 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
you're completely oblivious...a car and a motorcycle have no relevance whatsoever. The only equivalency is wear and tear. Please tell me a production car motor that revs to 16k and is about the size of some car batteries?
Your right I've never seen a car "motor" short of the smart car that is the "size of a car battery" but then again, no high performance motorcycle has an ENGINE that is that size either. Unless were talking electric "motors" instead of fuel powered "engines"?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM

I Ride: 02' Zx6R

My zx6r has 25k miles and only had a slight hiccup with spark plugs valve adjustment and some new lines no big deal still screams down the road. I met a few guys that have 40k on their bikes. We r talking sport bikes not no cruiser bikes either . Sounds like to me you are one of the guys that sells the bike every couple thousand miles gained to get a different bike. Causing a flux with sales with motorcycles. That's just my thoughts on that. Happy riding on a zx12!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM

I put 87k on my 900 Ninja, 107k on my 90 ZX11, 75k on my 1st ZX12, etc. Down to how well the bike is maintained.........
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry but I'll have to second that bullshit call. 20K on a liquid-cooled bike is about the equivalent of 40-50K on a car. Try getting one of those for 35% of the new price.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
ZX-12R motors don't rev anywhere near 16K and are bigger than 4 of the largest car batteries I've ever seen, so again, b.s.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
I put 87k on my 900 Ninja, 107k on my 90 ZX11, 75k on my 1st ZX12, etc. Down to how well the bike is maintained.........
I have to agree with this 100%. I know of more than a few sportbikes with over 80K on them.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 AM

2fat, Good to hear from ya! Can't remember if the last time was right after I had my accident in 2006 or before, but glad to see you're still flying...
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 AM

I Ride: 2000 zx12R, 1991 ZX-11 C (Sold), 1987 ZX1000R (totaled)

Quote:
Don't get all bent out of shape because people aren't agreeing with you. The fact is your statement doesn't have much merit.

I've got 29K on mine and it runs just fine. Loads of people have put upwards of 50K and 60K on their bikes and they still run fine.

Had a friend with almost 70K on a 92 ZX11 and he drag raced that thing every other weekend. It finally died when in a wreck with a car. Otherwise it would have still been going.

" Sir Network Makin', Multi-Quote Breakin', Jersey Shore Whore of ZXF

~~~ To speak before you think is like wiping your ass before you shit! ~~~
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Garage
Quote:
2fat, Good to hear from ya! Can't remember if the last time was right after I had my accident in 2006 or before, but glad to see you're still flying...
Thanks. I'm still here living the dream.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him --- better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

My Turbo ZX12R Build:
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

https://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 AM

I Ride: 2005 ZX12R

Quote:
You're blowing smoke up this guys ass there stig.. If you actually buy a bike to "ride" it then the miles will start to add up. 20K on a bike is nothing, and as always maintenance is always the determinating factor to how long anything last. I have a friend that rides his busa daily and it has 180K on the original motor and its still reliable for him. I commute mine any day its not raining and I'm coming up on 20K and it feels as it were new. If your going to offer any mileage advice, you could say the "average" mileage of crotch rocket style bikes don't usually have 20K+ on them because their owners crash them prior to them ever reaching that mark.

Here's a pic of my buds Busa with 180k+ miles on it...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Presidentť of Whoring

I Ride: 2002 ZX9R

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRACING View Post
You're blowing smoke up this guys ass there stig.. If you actually buy a bike to "ride" it then the miles will start to add up. 20K on a bike is nothing, and as always maintenance is always the determinating factor to how long anything last. I have a friend that rides his busa daily and it has 180K on the original motor and its still reliable for him. I commute mine any day its not raining and I'm coming up on 20K and it feels as it were new. If your going to offer any mileage advice, you could say the "average" mileage of crotch rocket style bikes don't usually have 20K+ on them because their owners crash them prior to them ever reaching that mark.

Here's a pic of my buds Busa with 180k+ miles on it...
Old thread resurrected, but very nice. 180k Wow. It does definitely come down to maintenance and service, along with replacement of worn out parts. It isn't very much different than cars. A long time car collector from an article that I can only remember reading said, (paraphrase) "If it breaks, fix it. Use OEM parts." That is truly the secret, taking care of a well engineered machine. When they designed it, they knew what would work best with the other components designed for the machine.

Of course, aftermarket parts come along and improve the performance and longevity of the OEM parts, but they are only improving on the first design.

I've seen it said more than once on here, take care of her, and she'll take care of you.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 AM

I love these types of threads. They show people's true colors and how they treat their bikes. I'm a bit old school, back when the cleaner and more stock your bike looked as it got older, the cooler you were. Now it's all about mods or making street fighters, stretching them 10 feet so they don't turn anymore, etc. to each his/her own really. But scheduled maintenance and just respect of your property can lead to any Japanese bike lasting well over 100k. Bmws are similar. They don't even break in until 20k. Normally don't have to crack the engine open until 100k. Obviously every mechanical object can fail, especially with these cheap Chinese parts these days. Italian bikes are the exception. They are similar to Italian cars. They're built to be driven, but not cheap to maintain, and reliability is an issue as the miles add up. I just picked up my 7th bike. She is my 2nd ZX10R. She is an 04 with 27k on her. I got her cheap since she needs some TLC. But she runs strong! Maintenance is key!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page