ZX12r newbie What should I do next - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

ZX12r newbie What should I do next

First Kawasaki and first “Big bike.”

I have started doing work myself as to avoid geting raped like I have in the past with previous bikes. My new ZX12r is great. 40,000 miles but runs better then bikes I had with A LOT less miles. It has a few issues though. Mods are Leo vince sbk carbon full exhaust. Power commander. I was told different cams but can’t truly confirm.

1. Makes a little click/clunk sound when moving forward. With Engine off, it does this as well.

2. I’m doing my own coolant change. Some purple ice, some distilled water and a cup of coolant. When I drained the coolant, some oil was in it. There is no coolant in my oil though. It was 90% green coolant and 10% oil/crud. As of now, I have some flushing agentand distilled water sitting and will cycle again a few times. It started smoking a little bit and I have no idea why. I cleaned up my engine with degreaser as well.

3. From my research on this forum it seems the valve cover leak is an issue. It the front left side. Maybe because I switched to synthetic?

3. I need a rear seat cowl and cant find one beside the ones shipped from china.

Can someone set a newbie straight? Any potential mods I should do. I want to make this bike A1 like it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:44 PM
57x

I Ride: 2018 H2 SX SE, 2005 Z750S, ZX7R Superbikes

Oil leak from the valve cover is normal. Most people over-torque there bolts and distort the cover. You can use washers after this, but you have to be really careful to not make it worse.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:16 AM

Yeah, I've had my share of wrench turning on my ZX12R since picking her up two weeks ago - some planned and some unexpected. Blew out the rear caliper pistons riding it home from the transporters location (had to source a used rear caliper and disk, refurb and reassemble), pull the tank and soak the innards with apple cider vinegar for three days (rattling around a smallish chain inside to knock loose all the corrosion from the ethanol), pull out the aftermarket 17t front sprocket and put the 18t stocker back in (speedo was thrown off big time), lube all the cables, bleed the brakes, change the oil/filter, pull the coil sticks and plugs (sticks were PITA getting out, BTW ... too bad the fuel leak didn't rear it's ugly head BEFORE i changed the plugs.. so much easier to get to with the throttle body out of the way)... and of course, the leaky fuel rail (had to pull the throttle body to get to the injectors/fuel inlet o-rings). Unable to source those so I sent the injectors out for sonic cleaning an bench testing (and new seals). Haven't ridden the bike in two weeks... and have only ridden it once (very carefully, btw, as it had ancient fluids in it).

Good times. At least I'm becoming one with the bike!

2000 ZX12R (A1) with 14k (Candy Persimmon Red)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:20 AM

Re-reading the original post, I'm not sure what that clunk is. Sounds like possible chain/driveline slop (if when in gear). If in neutral, it could be a loose rear axle nut (rear caliper could be a hair loose...). My valve cover has a small leak.. I'm debating whether to change it out as I have the throttle body out of the bike and just changed the plugs. Trying to avoid any more disassembly. Am in process of running distilled water to flush out the cooling system (going back with Prestone green and Water Wetter). Good luck, man.

2000 ZX12R (A1) with 14k (Candy Persimmon Red)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keemdream View Post
First Kawasaki and first ďBig bike.Ē

I have started doing work myself as to avoid geting raped like I have in the past with previous bikes. My new ZX12r is great. 40,000 miles but runs better then bikes I had with A LOT less miles. It has a few issues though. Mods are Leo vince sbk carbon full exhaust. Power commander. I was told different cams but canít truly confirm.

1. Makes a little click/clunk sound when moving forward. With Engine off, it does this as well.
If it's making noise in neutral, listen closely by the calipers. Perhaps a stuck piston, warped, rotor, wheel slightly out of alignment. If it's in gear chain tension, sprocket wear. If there's no maintenance history disassemble, inspect, and clean the clutch. Pay attention to proper air gap.

Quote:

2. Iím doing my own coolant change. Some purple ice, some distilled water and a cup of coolant. When I drained the coolant, some oil was in it. There is no coolant in my oil though. It was 90% green coolant and 10% oil/crud. As of now, I have some flushing agentand distilled water sitting and will cycle again a few times. It started smoking a little bit and I have no idea why. I cleaned up my engine with degreaser as well.
Hopefully not a blown head gasket. Compare compression between cylinders.

Quote:
3. From my research on this forum it seems the valve cover leak is an issue. It the front left side. Maybe because I switched to synthetic?
It's not because of the oil. More than likely it is not torque to specs.

Quote:
3. I need a rear seat cowl and cant find one beside the ones shipped from china.
Find the part# and create a search on ebay. When one becomes available you'll are instantly notified. At the time I did not think I would ever find an oem cowl but since there was no loss in trying there was nothing to lose. Within a couple of months got one. Felt like I won the lottery.

Quote:
Can someone set a newbie straight? Any potential mods I should do. I want to make this bike A1 like it is.
Add a voltage meter
If this is the A1 add a aux fan switch if you plan to ride in heavy traffic during the summer months.
Modifiy the clutch to improve oiling
Upgrade the clutch basket
Cut out the reg/rec plug

Those are the basics to make it roadworthy.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the help(I’m late I know!) new issue is swapping out my fuel pump and rectifier. Going over everything and going to put some head gasket leak seal just in case the headgasket is wearing down. The radiator may be done as well. When I have it up and running, it doesn’t over heat with the water wetter in there unless I’m sitting in traffic for a long time.

Throttle body cleaning and compression test may be out of my mechanical limit. I’m am still debating on just trying it though. This is my only bike and want to get to riding asap.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:47 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

If someone has changed primary sprockets, most aftermarket replacements do not have the bonded-rubber noise buffers on the sides and will make a rattling noise , especially with a larger sprocket. There is a cast-in guard around the countershaft and a larger sprocket increases the chances of contact and noise. No harm, just a pita.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page