No one gives the 12 props!!! - Page 2 - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 AM

I Ride: 2003 12R

Zumina's bike is what most others 12s dream of, lol.

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 AM

I Ride: Gen 2 ZX10R

It sounds like that guy you were talking to either 1) didnt ride or if he rode then 2) he didnt know about displacement and only knew what he's been told: "start on a 600 for 6 months then get a 1000" and "the 'busa is fuggin sweeeeeeet"

Arguing with fools only proves there's 2. The ppl who love sportbikes and can appreciate them gives the ZX-12 props. I most certainly did when I only daydreamed about owning a motorcycle

2006 ZX-10R

Let it do damage like they said it would if given chance - Chevelle, "Mexican Sun"
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 06:36 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

The 12R suffered two blows that relegated it to second-class status; the first was the voluntary strangulation of all hyperbikes limiting them to the 186 mph speed limit. The 12R was hyped pre-introduction to eclipse the 194 mph Hayabusa, so everyone anticipated a 200 mph machine that didn't materialize.

The second blow was self-inflicted by KHI: The introduction of the larger-displacement restyled ZX-14 which shares more than a passing similarity, motors and chassis being virtually identical.

One of these days I will happen on a nice example that needs some TLC for cheap and I won't be able to resist putting one in the garage, regardless of what else I might be riding at the time.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM

I Ride: 2000 ZX12R.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
The 12R suffered two blows that relegated it to second-class status; the first was the voluntary strangulation of all hyperbikes limiting them to the 186 mph speed limit. The 12R was hyped pre-introduction to eclipse the 194 mph Hayabusa, so everyone anticipated a 200 mph machine that didn't materialize.

The second blow was self-inflicted by KHI: The introduction of the larger-displacement restyled ZX-14 which shares more than a passing similarity, motors and chassis being virtually identical.

One of these days I will happen on a nice example that needs some TLC for cheap and I won't be able to resist putting one in the garage, regardless of what else I might be riding at the time.
I agree and disagree with your statement hammer....You are right about the press killing it but that was only over here in the states where the only noted form of recognition is drag racing. The US press slaughtered it. In the bikes defense it is a VERY hard to launch bike at the strip. The euro press where there are "REAL" riders praised it for all it was. An awesome handling VERY powerful open class hypersport-bike (2000 when the 190HP litire bikes were not around yet). The busa was good at what it and the 14 were designed for, drag racing (long and low). Just research the frame design by Kawi...It was developed for road racing(KR500??), Not drag racing. Turned out very stable though..Not to mention the "A" model 12 has to be the best looking bike made....."B" models got the generic ZX9R/6R front treatment...

The regulation was only on 2001 and up for ALL makers not just Kawi...The 2000 models are unrestricted.....I have seen many stock 12R's run 195 at Maxton...right beside the stock busa's... I always tell the busa guys that it amazes me they have to give you 100 more cc's to achieve the same power and performance as Kawi's motor....

2001 ZX11 tourer with a hint of sport..SOLD
2000 ZX12R personal sport-touring rocket has returned...

Last edited by crashtech; 02-06-2011 at 09:44 AM.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:08 AM

they ones who talk a 12r down are the ones who havent rid one ,and dont own one. out of 13 busas iv raced iv been beat by one. i tell em all bring it on stock. or im gonna bring some old kz power to the match 260 hp and a little bit of noz if needed

Last edited by kawman14733; 02-14-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: miss spelled
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Those guys are at every bike nite and local hangout all over the U.S.

I just bought my "first" zx12r ('00 A model) and my first chance to ride it was today.... and let me tell ya I never exceeded 9k rpms in any gear and this bike makes my zx11c (sold) model feel like a 500..

I loved my '91 zx11 but there two different birds......

The power just didn't stop and i never made it into triple digits on the speedo.

I think it was said best earlier "ARGUING ONLY PROOFS THERE'S MORE THAN ONE FOOL

Do what i did and remove all the factory logo/emblems and make 'em wonder what it is...

FAITH AIN'T FOR COWARDS
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 PM

I Ride: 2005 ZX12R

I love my 12 simply because I know that I'm one of, if not thE fastest bike on the road. Its elegant, comfortable, looks like a sport bike, noone knows what it is with the decals removed and you don't see many of them. That and mine producing just shy of 200whp rockets my little 165lb ass down the road quite well.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 PM

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRACING View Post
I love my 12 simply because I know that I'm one of, if not thE fastest bike on the road. Its elegant, comfortable, looks like a sport bike, no one knows what it is with the decals removed and you don't see many of them. That and mine producing just shy of 200whp rockets my little 165lb ass down the road quite well.
No doubt.

That's cool!

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 PM

I Ride: 95 Zx-11D3

Zx12's are just Sick!! Love the way they look one day i'll move up from my zx11 to either the 12 or the 14 both are just so Beast looking!

The closer you are to failure, the closer you are to victory, it all depends on how closely you walk the line. !Football For Life!
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 PM

Cool

I'll put it this way....

ANY DRAGSTRIP WILL HAVE PLENTY OF 14'S AND BUSA'S.......

BUT I LIKE PEEPS ASKING "WHAT KINDA BIKE IS THAT?"

TAKE A PEEK...

PLUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOCK WHEELBASE IS FRIGGIN FUN OFF THE LINE @ 8k RPMS AND KILLER IN THE TWISTIES THE ZX12R IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

FAITH AIN'T FOR COWARDS

Last edited by Levi_ZX; 04-24-2011 at 09:54 PM.
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM

The 12 being understated is exactly what sold me on one! I love when people have to ask what just beat them!
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM

I Ride: ZX12, ZX14, C 14, Yamaha Raider, Triumph Trophy

I have a 14, and I love it, however the 12 is much more beautiful. If I can get all my bikes paid off, I will be adding a 12 to the stable in the near future. I am already looking around LOL Some bikes have "classic" written all over them - the 12 is one of them.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM

I Ride: 2008 SE zx14 STOLEN!!

I needed a 14 because it needs to be able to push my fat ass
very cool, indeed
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Well we eat the busas and the 14s at our track. Theres nothing that hangs with the A-1 12R.

post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM

I Ride: 2000 ZX12

I remember the excitement In the months leading up to the release of the zx12. It was code named 'Project 320' as in 320kph, or 200mph. I was riding a zx11 at the time, the bike which for seven years was The Fastest Bike. Kawasakis' answer to the Blackbird and Hyabusa was highly anticipated. Then in the midst of all the excitement came talk of government threats, and a coerced detuning of the zx12 prior to release. After the magazine tests in which the 12 failed to reach 200mph, it was released by some extremely disappointed Kawasaki marketing reps with no further mention of government intervention, and no hint of what had been done to the motorcycle.

I've been riding for thirty years, and I've only bought Kawasakis. I understand how their engineers think. I know the same people who had produced the zx11 would have no problem building a bike capable of 200mph. The zx12 is not only beautiful, but it is a fascinating piece of engineering.

I bought one in April of 2000, and have had one ever since. I have followed the story as it slowly came out, a piece at a time. Here is what I learned.

The 12 engine architecture matches that of the ZX6 and ZX9 of that era. This implies that the dyno curves of these engines should show a great deal of similarity. They do not. The power and torque curves of the zx12 fall off much quicker than they should, and the implied peak horsepower is never reached.

Tuners around the world quickly established that the diameter of the exhaust downtubes were restrictively small. Was this done to slow the bike down? I don't know, but I do know that few if any production bikes show as large of a power increase over stock as a 12 does by simply fitting an aftermarket full exhaust with appropriately sized downtubes.
With this simple mod, 12's were very close, but not quite at 200.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2000/...g00muzzyszx12/

A second clue came out some time later, when tuners were becoming more adept at unlocking the ECU map. It was learned that the air & fuel maps continued on for 600rpm past the indicated 11,500 rpm redline.

Back in 2000, when the 12 was released, the metallurgy and finish of its' rotating assembly was state-of-the-art. Forged this, carburized that. This, plus Kawasakis' historic preference for making more power by spinning a smaller engine faster lead me to believe that the redline of 11,500rpm is at least 500rpm less than what the engineers specified.

The final clue is that the engine air intake has a 2mm reduction in each of the four velocity stacks. Now this could be to maintain mixture speed at low rpm, but I don't think so.

I believe that if you negate these three problems, then you will have a bike that performs as it was meant to. Of course this is all speculation but I think it is pretty close to the truth. This I do know - I LOVE riding my 12, think I'm going to go out & take a spin now!
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM

I Ride: 91 zx11c

Man I wish I could have a 12r.. up in till like a year or so ago.. I didnt know much or if any about the 12r.. This bike is indeed the top 5 best looking motorcycles every built. Everytime I see one for sale I tried to figure out a way to purchase one like a creak head, I tried to figure out what I can sale to get it. lol.
One of these days I will have me a 12r.. you just wait.. I will have me one!
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:05 AM

I Ride: 2003 ZX12R

I LOVE my 2003 ZX 12R and if I could figure out how to post pics I would. I bought it last year, with 3601 miles on it, looked as if it has never left the show room, I bought it off of a family friend for 20 years and he has 6 bikes (All Kawasaki's), and he just never rode the ZX12. And now it sits in my garage on the stands still under 5K miles. As much as I love rideing it I dont have time to with my job, so it sits there and gets cleaned everytime I am home, and maybe a couple hundred miles a year.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 AM

I Ride: 00 ZX12R, 05 ZX12R, 06 ZX10R, 07GSXR 750

I sold my 05 12R about a month and a half ago and while I miss it I don't regret it. I still have my 06 10R so I'm well represented. Like mentioned before those who wax about Busa this and Busa that most likely do not ride or are very new riders. Knowledgeable riders or even enthusiasts know what the 12 is and can do. Having said that, I had the pleasure of riding an 07 Busa for about three weeks while I was selling it at the dealership I worked for and let me tell you, I thought it was a great ride. Power Commander and twin trumpet pipes and the thing screamed. And it was iridium blue so it looked better than most. In fact it was the first one I actually liked to look at.

Here's some good magazine test data I found, don't know about the accuracy but I like the results:http://www.angelfire.com/linux/ldrpg/

Last edited by Alfatango1; 05-04-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page