ZX11 oil leak. Help Claude. - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 2001 ZX12R

ZX11 oil leak. Help Claude.

OK, I just replaced the clutch on my 90 ZX11. I decided to take a ride and make sure everything was good before I put the fairing back on. When I got back from about 10-15 minute ride I noticed a significant amount of oil on the bottom right side of the engine. I cleaned it really good and took another quick ride so I could try to locate to leak. At first I thought it was the pan and was planning on replacing the gasket. After further inspection I realized it was coming from a shaft on the right side of the engine. I didn't know what the hell this shaft was so I busted out the service manual. After much reading I learned it was the balance shaft. Here are some crappy pics I took with my cell phone.

So anyway, I'm guessing this shaft has a seal or something behind it. What does it take to replace the seal and stop the oil leak? The manual is not very specific. Do you think I should do the oil pan gasket too while I'm at it? I don't really want to because theres a lot of other stuff in the way of the pan that would have to be removed. Any advice? Thanks.
Tom

Quote from a Kaw mechanic (my dad)
"Great idea, buy your kid a ninja for his last birthday."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:44 PM

My bike did the same thing and fixing it was real easy. Yes there is a seal behind that lever, what happens is it works its way out over time and you can replace it or what I did was pull the lever off and drive the seal (gently) with a socket back into place. There is a seal on both sides of the motor and they both do this so if you get a leak on the other side it's probably that one as well.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:53 PM

Bad news... To replace the balancer seal, you must split the engine...

Gotcha! No sir... this is a very eay one to replace from the outside. Beside the oil seal, also get a pair of crush washers as you need to remove the banjo bolt that is in front of the balancer's lever. The best reading you can do about this is on COG (Concours Owner Group) website. Concours' engine is very similar to ZX-11's in many ways. Here's the link you want to read:
http://www.concours.org/balancer.html

NOTE: Read also the section (same link above) about adjusting the balancer as you need to do this everytime you remove the balancer's lever.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:06 PM

Oh and BTW, you should stop pinging me in the post's titles. That way, I think that anyone that can help will feel more confortable answering (and I will also feel better if I don't know the answer... )
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 2001 ZX12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Oh and BTW, you should stop pinging me in the post's titles. That way, I think that anyone that can help will feel more confortable answering (and I will also feel better if I don't know the answer... )
Sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot like that. I wont do it anymore. But c'mon, you not know the answer? seems unlikely. So anyway, I went online and ordered up some parts. I ordered 2 clutch cover gaskets, 2 oil pan gaskets, 2 balance shaft seals, various rubber o-rings and little gaskets, and some EBC brake bads front and rear. Wondering why I ordered 2 of everything? Call it a backup plan. I did my clutch the other day, but today I had to go back in because I didn't hold the clutch lever down when I assembled it the first time. Now I can tell you from experience, thats an important step. I had it all back together but the clutch had no travel left and I couldn't pull the lever in at all. So I took it apart and followed the directions this time. While I was at it I changed the clutch fluid and bled it. All easy work. And the clutch feels and works great. But back to the gaskets, when I had to go back in I really wished I had another new gasket handy. So now I'm stocking up on stuff like that. It sucks to have to stop working because you're waiting for parts to arrive.

Quote from a Kaw mechanic (my dad)
"Great idea, buy your kid a ninja for his last birthday."
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Mark the relationship between the shaft and the lever - that way you'll be sure to line the shaft back up to the right splines at re-assembly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:04 PM

I Ride: ZX-11 C1 Ninja

Kawa T do you have any good shots of the line routes? I replaced my pan and did not make a note of where things go and need some help. I have a ZX11 C1.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM

I Ride: 93 ZX-11, 82 CB900F, 79 XS650*SOLD*

Those header pipes SURE ARE BLUE!!!!

What main jet you running? Cuz, she is running lean....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:20 AM

I Ride: 93 ZX-11, 82 CB900F, 79 XS650*SOLD*

OK, nice thread, and I have to do the same thing. Balancer shaft seal is leaking...

Luckily, I ordered a bunch of seals

“Don’t try to understand women. Women understand women and they hate each other.”

- Al Bundy - Hero to all Men
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 12:01 PM

My seal poped out and when I replaced it with a new one it didn't fit very tight so I put the old one on also for a spacer, now the new one can't pop out.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:06 PM

I Ride: zx11C

So I think I am having the same problem ... but I want to clarify... When you say "right side" - so if this is a dumb question
but do you mean as you are sitting on the bike the right... clutch side is leaking ?

I have a MAJOR leak on what I would consider the LEFT side ( as I am sitting on the bike) the side of the water pump.
I cannot tell for the life of me where it is is coming from !!!!
but I have a puddle of oil on the ground after a ride ....

Help!
Todd
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:39 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxdude82 View Post
So I think I am having the same problem ... but I want to clarify... When you say "right side" - so if this is a dumb question
but do you mean as you are sitting on the bike the right... clutch side is leaking ?

I have a MAJOR leak on what I would consider the LEFT side ( as I am sitting on the bike) the side of the water pump.
I cannot tell for the life of me where it is is coming from !!!!
but I have a puddle of oil on the ground after a ride ....

Help!
Todd
Shift shaft seal is most common.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:12 PM

I Ride: zx11C

still looking on left side !!

Sorry if this is a dumb question ... but when I think of a "shift seal" I am thinking about the spline coming out of the engine where I shift gears. Is this what you are talking about ?
My leak seems to be coming from the area just in front of the water pump. I have de-greased the entire underside of the engine.
It is not coming from any of the oil lines... seems to be an area right above the oil line in front of the oil pump.

Maybe it would be best if i try to get a picture of what I am talking about... I have been under there several times. I think it is coming from a bit higher up somewhere and dripping onto one of the oil lines so it is hard to find the origination of the leak.

I am open to any thoughts or suggestions.
Todd
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxdude82 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question ... but when I think of a "shift seal" I am thinking about the spline coming out of the engine where I shift gears. Is this what you are talking about ?
My leak seems to be coming from the area just in front of the water pump. I have de-greased the entire underside of the engine.
It is not coming from any of the oil lines... seems to be an area right above the oil line in front of the oil pump.

Maybe it would be best if i try to get a picture of what I am talking about... I have been under there several times. I think it is coming from a bit higher up somewhere and dripping onto one of the oil lines so it is hard to find the origination of the leak.

I am open to any thoughts or suggestions.
Todd
There's O rings on the waterpump that could leak .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in