Oil Leak left side 1992 ZX11C - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: zx11C

Oil Leak left side 1992 ZX11C

I have posted this on an older post but I thought I might get some more responses if I started a new thread.

I bought a local 1992 ZX11. Changed the oil , fluids etc. like you would do with any normal bike that you bought. Went for a ride all was good. Actually went on several rides with no issue.
However, the last ride a went on, everything seems good. I park the bike and the next morning I come out to a puddle of oil!!! I would say 1/4 of a quart? Enough that I am using a ton of paper towels to clean it up

As a suggest by someone on the forum
- I decrease everything.
- Wipe everything down
- Use baby powder all over the engine
- Add some oil back in
I then go for a 10 minute ride. While I am stopped at stop signs etc. I look down... no oil.
I get home, put the bike on the center stand within 5 minutes. I start to smell burning oil and there is oil dripping on the exhaust (I have a Muyzzy 4 into 1 if that matters). There is not a stream of oil but a steady drip... but I cannot for the life of me tell where it is coming from !!! None of the baby powder shows any signs of oil from any of the banjo fittings. I took the clutch slave unit off so I can look at the sprocket... no oil.
The best way to describe it , it seems to be leaking from something above and behind the water pump. I cam back and had another decent size puddle.
Here is the other thing.... eventually I clean up all the oil, put a white towel down and EVENTUALLY there is no drip. If I look at the oil level , I can see it is below the fill line but maybe 1/4 of a quart of oil takes it back
to a good level. It doesn't seem to leak again unless I start it and get it warm.

I took a video of the drip ... I am hoping this link works.
Would love to know your thoughts !!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XrZh337V8UVGcXqaA

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:02 AM

If the oil filter 'O' ring is not sealing the oil can run quite a distance before it drips down. This bike also has two sump plugs, check both.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:27 AM

Water pump has O rings on housing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:05 AM

Maybe I going to ask a dumb question... But all the videos of Zx11's have the filter inside the oil pan underneath... How would oil be dripping from the filter???!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:43 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Shift shaft seal is the most common left-side oil leak and is sometimes difficult to pinpoint without removing the drive sprocket cover.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I found the left side leak !!!

Wow... after multiple degreasing.... cleaning etc.... I final dug in an took the water pump off.... AND .... There is a small hoel on the under side of the water pump
oil is leaking out of it. (attached picture)

Why would oil be leaking out of this hole?
Does that mean my water pump is bad?

Thanks for all the help so far

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zx11 water pump .jpg
Views:	27
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	10892  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Thatís the weep hole that coolant will stream out of when the pump goes bad. There really shouldnít be oil coming out of that; are you sure the oil isnít coming past that o-ring on the engine side and maybe dripping towards that hole?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:56 PM

I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

The weep hole will leak coolant to indicate that the internal seal is gone. If you are getting oil, I would bet it is the o-ring on the pump into the case is where it is leaking. Since you have the pump out, I would replace it anyways just to be sure. If your leak goes away, you know where it was. If not, you have eliminated one possibility.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:40 PM

I Ride: 05 ZX6R

What Ninjanut said.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

oil leak saga continues ... but getting close !!

Can't thank you guys enough for all the help !! I got a water pump from a friend and I got it installed... well ALMOST... pretty straight forward installation...

My only problem is the cover for the water pump has a gasket. It fit perfectly in the groove. However.... strangest thing. It shifted out of the groove and now I can get it to align correctly !!!
if I didn't know any better I would think it was the wrong gasket seal!! Has anyone ever encountered this? Do I need to heat this up or something to "shrink it back to fit??!!"

Picture attached
Thanks
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump gasket.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	10912  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:04 AM

Did you clean it with gasoline? It has swollen maybe due to some contact with solvent. Go to the local shop and buy some 'O' ring material, some super glue to join it and make another if you cant buy the correct one.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:43 PM

After ur oring swells u can coat it in grease and let it sit for a few minutes maybe an hour and itll shrink down a bit. We use the bel-ray waterproof stuff at my dealership. Works on rubber quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page