Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Shifting problems 08 zx10r

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Highlife305 
#1 ·
Bike sat for 3 months finally able to ride it again and the other day I noticed it was really hard to shift out of 3rd gear up or dwn so I shifted into fourth with my hand and 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 with my foot no problem but 3rd is really hard and you really have to kick it into second I have no clue why it’s doing that please help

#4 ·
Bike has never been crashed it is in good condition other then that problem I’m having with the shifter it has about 23,000 miles bought it with 18,000 I know the owner he’s actually a good friend of mine bike has never had problems just recently I changed the stator and rectifier but that’s it

#5 ·
When you changed the stator/rectifier, did you remove the shifter/linkage?
If it ran fine before, transmissions don’t fail while sitting. Also, have you changed the oil recently? Some bikes shift better with different oils but it seems strange that it would only be one gear change.
I would guess that it is something simple like the linkage.

#6 ·
No I didn’t mess with the shifter I rode it one night it rode great n the next day I tried to ride to a friends house and noticed the problem right away I have rode the bike once after it happened n now it’s reading random gears on the dash when in fourth and third seems to be getting worse shifting up or down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.