Gen 1 ZX10R bogging down in WOT - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Gen 1 ZX10R bogging down in WOT

Hey guys,

Got a interesting scenario here. Just wanted to confirm this seems like the best route before I dynotune my zx10r.

I have an 04 ZX10r that was purchased from a friend that had no concrete info on the bike (really good deal). From the sounds of the bike and just looking it seemed one of the previous owners put a lot of money into this bike 6" stretch, full brocks megaphone exhaust, GPR, PC3. The bike had been sitting for awhile before I got it so I did the needful fluids,plugs,chain etc...Fired her up and she sounded great. I'm a youtube mechanic, but honestly it sounded built. Once I threw some pivot pilot 3's on there I did some test rides and noticed that the top speed was around 100-115mph. When I was at WOT it would completely bog down and lose all power. I assumed PC3 was to blame. Disconnected it and did another test ride. Still bogging down...so I went fuel pump. Still bogged. Then I contacted Brocks exhaust and got a new map made and flashed the PC3. Still bogged and didn't want to go past 105mph. I finally got tired of messing with while the season was dwindling away and took it to a shop to be professionally diagnosed as there was some other issues as well. At the shop I had the clutch replaced, coolant swapped to engine ice, and the bogging issue looked into it. I also didn't mention my suspicion about the bike being built to see if they came to that conclusion as well. First thing he did after having the bike was ask how much whp it was producing as they figured it was built as well from the sound and test ride (It goes to 100 VERY quickly), but ultimately said the issue was that because it was built that the back pressure from no baffles was the culprit and that I need to order a baffle from Brocks and then get it dyno tuned as it needs an APR of 14:1.

Just looking for second opinions before I get it Dynotuned, but definitely will order the baffle in the mean time.

Last edited by Ben Blankenstein; 09-17-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Looks like we are in the same boat. I was looking into this issue myself. I have a zx9r that has the normal full yoshi exhaust, K&N filter, jetted carbs. My bike pulls stupid hard through all gears at WOT but once it gets around 90-100 falls off hard. I’m just confirming with someone on here it might be the needle position or the fuel pump.... which mine is disconnected because it caused more problems then good (especially starting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page