Oil Pressure issues - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 636

Oil Pressure issues

Hello every one i'm lost and a bit confused on this one.
I pulled the bike apart initially just to put in new oil pump and water pump gaskets because the bike was leaking oil behind the waterpump body.
I replaced the gaskets and put the oil pump back together. Unfortunately i did not get the water pump shaft in as it should and it shattered at the first fire of the bike. Replaced the shaft with another i had in a spare motor at the house. Started the bike up built oil pressure right away after losing the oil filter to burp the system. Put the rest of the bike back together and left town for work for a week. Came back home and had some free time so i rolled the bike out. It's never built pressure since then.

i've tried burping it at the filter and the oil pressure sensor. i've tried putting the bike on its side and filling the pump with oil ( which worked on my 04 ) still nothing.

I've pulled the pan back off all pieces are still in tact and no debris in the pan. Pulled the oil cooler off and there's nothing stuck or blocking the passage.
I've gone extensively through the oil flow on the service manual and am just baffled as to why i cannot get oil to flow from the pump to the filter. The pick up is clean screen is clear with no debris and is on tight.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

03 636
04 636
13 636
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:31 PM

I Ride: 1996 ZX11, CR500, DR370

Garage
I wouldn't trust the oil light. It doesn't come on until it's too late for the engine. Buy and install an oil pressure gauge and see what it really reads. They're not that expensive, and it's a useful tool to know the condition of your engine.

If it still shows low or no pressure, I'd disassemble a spare pump and see how it works. Then compare it to the one that's suspect. that shaft may have cracked your pump housing, etc. May be time to disassemble and assess what's inside.

Best of luck and please share what you find.

Regards,
M.Rad.

"If it ain't broke-don't break it!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page