• 1 Post By 57x
  • 1 Post By 57x
  • 1 Post By 57x

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
57x

I Ride: 2018 H2 SX SE, 2005 Z750S, ZX7R Superbikes

2014 Ninja 1000 Mods

I can never seem to leave well enough alone.

Akropovic header and mid from a 2014 Z1000
Muzzy exhaust can from an 03 ZX9R (I have the header and mid for sale from this if anyone is looking. PM me)
Ivan's flash
De-smogged

I will have to cut my Akra mid pipe to rotate it down to clear my Ninja factory bags. Damn I love the sound of a Muzzy can.

I will be putting on the Slipper/Assist clutch from the 2015 Versys. I can't wait for this one. They say it is a one finger pull, you get a great slipper and it fixes the screwed up mess of the lack of oiling to the clutches on the Ninja 1000 all in one change. The only down side it I will lose most all of the engine braking, as both the slipper/assist clutch lessens this, as well as the Ivan's tune. Not a huge deal, and I will be putting on a brake upgrade a couple paragraphs down.

I have figured out that it seems possible to swap on a 2011 ZX10R swingarm on to this bike. I picked up a swingarm complete on FleaBay complete with caliper/axles/spacers/cush, found a Kyle Racing linkage, 2017 ZX10R Showa shock, new wheel bearings (25mm). I also am doing a 520 chain conversion while I am in there. The front pivot bolt and all spacers are all the same between bikes. I am hoping the shock/linkage location is the same between the swingarms. I looks at a glance, but it is hard to tell with the Ninja 1000 swingarm on the bike. I am just waiting on one more piece to confirm.

Next, I found a tore up 2007 Aprilia Tuono Factory with a blown engine cheap. I will be swapping the Ohlins/Brembo front end complete on the Ninja and later figure out how to adapt the OZ rear wheel on the ZX10R swingarm. The rake and trail on these bikes is nearly identical. I used to have an 07 Tuono Factory, and I have never been on a bike with better brakes. Scary good brakes. Now, to find an Ohlins rear shock without taking out a mortgage to complete the suspension upgrade! The 2017 Showa will have to do for now.

All of this I expect to shave a ton of weight off this heavy beast, and give it ZX10R-ish handling.

I will take some pics of the swaps as I do them.

92Ninjas and TheUX31EGuy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:14 PM

I Ride: Your sister

Garage
Can't wait to see the pics coming from this build! I oughtta get a 10R swinger for my 2012 n1k, as the little threaded things for the spools came broken off on mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehendrix View Post

-i do not wave to scooters. if anything, i aim to kick them over.
"I did the research for him and THEN he buys stuff and cancels and THEN he does the research backass halfwards." - 2fat2fly
This is my ZX-7R. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My ZX-7R is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My ZX-7R, without me, is useless. Without my ZX-7R, I am useless.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
57x

Hell, you are close enough you sould just come see mine. You will want the Versys clutch when you see what it does. What city are you in again? I am near Monterey.

Again, until I install the swingarm, it is only speculation that it will work. If the shock/linkage mounts are in a different place this will be a waste of time and money. I had many of the parts as spares for this swap including wheel bearings, so not so expensive for me.

Parts needed for a ZX10R swingarm swap:
11-15 swingarm complete including hugger/chain guard/wheel axle (front spindle and spacers are the same as yours)/wheel spacers/caliper/hangar
11-15 wheel bearings
11-15 cush drive (or any 25mm Kawi cush drive). There is no way to swap to the bigger bearing on the cush. I have several of these as spares if you decide to swap.
11-15 inner wheel spacer (between the bearings)

You can also swap to the 2017 ZX10R shock to have a shock that will actually do something. Our shocks suck!!! I will most likely have spare Kyle linkage setups, which are a god send. Not cheap, but well worth it.

I was so lucky to find a complete ZX10R swingarm with everything on it including caliper and hangar for only $100. These pieces individually would have cost way more on eBay.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
57x

I have to get that damn rear fender/plate holder off there.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
57x

It is a Kawasaki accessory. I have a spare. It's not perfect, but still in fine shape. PM me your address and I will send it over.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
Hell, you are close enough you sould just come see mine. You will want the Versys clutch when you see what it does. What city are you in again? I am near Monterey.

Again, until I install the swingarm, it is only speculation that it will work. If the shock/linkage mounts are in a different place this will be a waste of time and money. I had many of the parts as spares for this swap including wheel bearings, so not so expensive for me.

Parts needed for a ZX10R swingarm swap:
11-15 swingarm complete including hugger/chain guard/wheel axle (front spindle and spacers are the same as yours)/wheel spacers/caliper/hangar
11-15 wheel bearings
11-15 cush drive (or any 25mm Kawi cush drive). There is no way to swap to the bigger bearing on the cush. I have several of these as spares if you decide to swap.
11-15 inner wheel spacer (between the bearings)

You can also swap to the 2017 ZX10R shock to have a shock that will actually do something. Our shocks suck!!! I will most likely have spare Kyle linkage setups, which are a god send. Not cheap, but well worth it.

I was so lucky to find a complete ZX10R swingarm with everything on it including caliper and hangar for only $100. These pieces individually would have cost way more on eBay.
I'm up in Novato, one of these days I'll have to take a jaunt down to Monterey, maybe once I get my 10R up and running properly lol, or maybe on my SX.... the rear shock on my SX doesn't feel that bad, but then again I've never spoiled myself with high end suspension...

So the swingarm fits into the frame using the stock SX swingarm pivot and goodies?

Quote:

"I did the research for him and THEN he buys stuff and cancels and THEN he does the research backass halfwards." - 2fat2fly
This is my ZX-7R. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My ZX-7R is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My ZX-7R, without me, is useless. Without my ZX-7R, I am useless.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Garage
I actually really appreciate the massive amount of engine braking the SX has, I doubt I'd want to cut down on it. Saves me brake pads lol

Quote:

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
57x

I am already on my second set of brake pads, and that is just from an Ivan's tune. It will be worse with the slipper/assist clutch. I often charge deep into corners, trail braking as I enjoy these great hills here in the south bay. I think my first set was gone in 8000 miles. The Ivan's tune is the single best thing I have done to this bike. It is so smooth now.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
I am already on my second set of brake pads, and that is just from an Ivan's tune. It will be worse with the slipper/assist clutch. I often charge deep into corners, trail braking as I enjoy these great hills here in the south bay. I think my first set was gone in 8000 miles. The Ivan's tune is the single best thing I have done to this bike. It is so smooth now.
I'm contemplating an Ivan's tune, but only after I get my akra full system lol...

Quote:

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
57x

I won't tell you I got my last Akra for our Ninja 1000s for $150 shipped ........
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:59 PM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

If my riding partner in Arkansas sees this, there's liable to be another one running around. He has been torn between the N1K and the V1K. Looks like it could go all day in comfort.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
57x

My legs are just too damn short for a Versys. I mostly treat this like a sport bike or a long haul trip bike, so the Versys would not be a fit for me anyway. I like the idea of a dual sport, but the Kawi is just too damn big and heavy. There are others that do it better, like the Super Tenere.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
57x

Good and bad news. The weight savings was a bit higher than my guess. 10.5 lbs overall. I guessed 10 lbs. Granted a small amount came from the 520 conversion, but I'll take it anyway.

The wheel spacer from the 10 is 2mm longer. I need to have it cut down. The opening in the wheel for spacer is too small. I feel I can safely open it up. I am sure this will screw with wheel spacers.

Now for the harder part. The Ninja 1000 shock mounts completely different. The clevis is part of the frame on the Ninja 1000, where a separate part on the 10. The shock is 30mm longer on the Ninja.

Next, the shock is 20mm left on the ZX10R. The Ninja 1000 is 10mm wider at the lower mount, and so accordingly, all the suspension parts are as well.

I have already moved the shock mounts on another bike, so strongly considering going forward.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
57x

I am planning to move the shock mount on the ZX10R swingarm to align to the frame location. Much simpler, and helps clear other parts. This will allow me to use an Ohlins ZX10R shock with a few other mods to the frame.

Some new toys to be added to this bike in the near future. I found an 07 Aprilia Tuono Factory with a blown engine, and the bike had a light low side. No major damage, most repaired and I really don't care. What I do care about is the Ohlins R&T forks, Brembo brakes, OZ wheels, etc. I am planning to paint the wheels black since I am on a green Ninja 1000.

Who would have though it???? Aprilia uses the same stem length and same bearings as the Ninja 1000 (also the same as a ZX6R, etc.). The offset of fork to stem is the same as well. The entire front end is a bolt in operation. I had an 07 Tuono Factory a few years ago and the brakes are the best I have ever had. Super light OZ wheels. I just have to adapt my ABS/KTRC exciter ring to the front wheel and mound the pickup.

The rear wheel fit right in the ZX10R swingarm using the Tuono left spacer and the ZX10R right spacer. This is with using the Tuono Brembo rear caliper and hangar. Everything lines up perfectly. I now need to adapt the rear exciter ring and pickup, change the caliper slider block location and cut the Tuono right spacer to the ZX10R length since it has a different OD for its bearing.

Exciting times ahead!!!!

I got the Tuono for a song, so I know I can sell off the frame, swingarm, Ohlins shock, bodywork including headlights, key switch group (these bring big bucks as the ignition, ECU and Key are programmed together) and other misc parts. I am sure I can easily break even or more, keeping all the suspension parts, brakes and wheels for my toy! Plus I can use the Akra cans on my girlfriends Ninja 1000.
Zed Kable likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:01 PM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

You're vying for Sleeper of the Year with 2Fat's 12R turbo.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Kinda what I was thinking as well. I am still way down on power of what the "other" liter bikes have, but I figure I will pull way north of 20 lbs from this bike, probably closer to 30. 145rwhp is no slouch for any bike, but with this suspension, brakes and wheels it should handle great and still be comfortable for the long haul miles I do from time to time. I am on track for being north of 20K miles for this bike this year. Not bad for owning it for two years. It only had 1500 miles when I picked it up.

Three more things that are fun.

1) The Ape had a remote camera with a tiny lens that can be hidden anywhere on the front of the bike. It runs on a continuous loop. With being quite discrete, it will be quite helpful if anyone pulls an asshat move, and doesn't realize I am recording at all times.

2) The Ape had Oxford heated grips. I would never spring for a set of heated grips, but I will take them for free.

3) I had a really nice black Pro-Taper bar that I was planning to use for the Z750S Frankenstein bike. The Ape uses the same dimensions for the bar and is gold. Not only do I get the chance to get rid of the ugly gold bar, but the Pro-Taper bar I have has a 25mm higher rise, which I have been wanting a little more bar height anyway. The Z750S has gold forks and lots of other gold parts, so good fit for that bikes also.
Zed Kable likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
This is my main daily rider at this point. While I am quite happy with the bike, why not make it better? I love playing with upgrades, especially if I can do it and break even when I am finished by selling off what I don't need. I thought about getting a 14 when a great deal came up that fell through some time back. I think I will just make this mine!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
57x

A little progress. I love how the black looks on these wheels. Fresh seals and oil in the forks, as well as a ring to track movement. I also got the Braketech rotors on. I will probably upgrade the sprocket carrier as it saves 1.5 lbs. I am also now looking for a sprocket as I figure I will only be able to do 60mph with the 49 tooth sprocket from the Tuono. I should have the Angel tires on early next week.

I sourced the front and rear exciter rings for the newer Tuono and they fit fine. Of course, both are a different diameter from the Kawi. I will get busy merging the two front together and the two rear together. Not an easy task as they need to be on square as well as be perfectly round. That task will take the longest.

keepitgreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page