Intro to Me - I am changing my oil - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: anything that moves - current 1999 Kawasaki Zx750P

Cool Intro to Me - I am changing my oil

Hi Gang,

My name is Michael and I love long walks and sunsets --oh wait wrong forum . let me try again

Yo Ho this is Captain Zalastar and I like beer , broads and bikes! yargh!

Ok well in reality I am an IT engineer in Seattle that loves to ride.
Got my first Honda Trail 70 when I was 9.
I currently own a 1999 ZX750 which I decided I would change the oil and plugs the other day as I haven't ridden it for 2 years (got married and its been in storage)
Then my wrench slipped and I accidentally removed all the Cali Smog crap

Well shoot I might as well finish painting it since its a collection of colors . I bought it for $500 and it needed a tank and was missing a few pieces of plastic

Well Hell! I am already half way torn apart. I might as well order a new radiator and paint the fan assembly Metallic Storm Grey

Well now that I have a new radiator I might as well do something that will help me on hot days if I get stuck in Traffic -
Titanium Heat Wrap over Black Ceramic Coat!

Now where did I put those radiator hoses? oh well might as well order some Red Silcone ones

Oh yeah I think I was changing the oil -
better get a chrome oil filter and button her up with some Lucas Semi-Synthetic 10W-40

It Looks like I will need to clean and sync the carbs . Its been sitting too long.
So here I have added a custom Fuel Delivery System for bench testing while I paint the Tank and Plastics

Disclaimer - Dont Try This at Home Kids

Speaking of Tanked - Just got my shipment of All Kandy Wet Wet Clear Kandy Brandywine Clearcoat /Basecoat and the new Tank is primered and almost ready
The original tank had Bondo over 2 inch deep dents. Fuel would leak right in the crotch area - Talk about Balls on Fire!

I have plenty of sanding ahead of me next week. I am also thinking of doing the Float Bowl Mod and maybe looking at Rejetting. Depends on how it runs without the smog gear and once I get the carbs to unstick

Things I am thinking of doing - (thoughts anyone?)

Polish the Frame and Swingarm
Paint the Frame and Swingarm Black or Metallic Storm Gray
LED or HID Lighting
Hotbody Undertail
well that's it for now - Hope to be a regular here as I am a big fan of the Z-Line . Next pics will be with some paint!

Zalastar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:38 AM

I Ride: a quicker bike than yours.

Garage
I would drain/flush the hydraulic brake and clutch systems while I had it apart. Maybe even disassemble and clean the master/slave cylinders. Check that the brake caliper pistons are free and the pads aren't worn too much. How old are those tires? Is that the original plastic fan on the radiator? They have a tendency to melt when they get hot (in traffic). Muzzy made a nice aluminum fan that increased airflow and drew less amperage from the electrical system. Maybe you can find a good used one if they don't make them anymore. Good luck on getting it back on the road soon.

Oh....and welcome to zxforums.com

Last edited by taildragger1197; 07-31-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't find a Muzzy fan but I found a Zx6 fan assembly on Ebay for $12 and I took the perfect plastic blades out to replace my heat warped ones and then painted my fan assembly with some GM Storm Gray Metallic.

I have actually had the bike since 2012 and had been riding around with it unpainted (after replacing the tank). I just haven't ridden it for 2 years because of life and my carbs got stuck after sitting for so long. ( I know that disgracefully lazy isnt it?)
I finally got to missing the wind in my face and got it running and then I found heaven - well ZXForums.
I saw the light and got motivated again! and decided to fix that problem and paint it finally. The clean air mod is what started all this madness and 3 weeks later here I am . Back together last night and running - well not so good. 1 and 2 are not getting the full fuel flow So I am taking the carbs off tonight and will tear them down. Its the typical - wont run when hot, sits too long and it varnished , etc. I am looking forward to seeing if its been jetted as I know that the carbs were synced once before it became mine at the locakl shop in N Seattle

Oh and the tires are brand new. I put those on when I had the front forks resealed and charged a few years back. I will probably take your advice though and flush the lines even though they look pretty clean. other than finishing it I have always taken care of it and kept it garaged.

I do have a couple questions though if you wouldn't mind?

-Now that I have done the clean air mod (pretty sure it was a California model as it had the charcoal canister and the two lines on the tank) do I need to change any of the timing or electronics? What is it called ? a 48 State CDI? Or is that just the injected models?

-What is that tube that goes from the #1 header pipe to the #4 side? Is that just for reinforcement or is it actually connecting the exhaust pipes?
Thanks for the welcome!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:09 AM

I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

You do NOT need to change anything because of the Kleen air mod.
The pipe between #1 and #4 on the stock header is a balance pipe that connects the two.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info - I took the carbs off and without thinking I mixed up the floats - whoops . Got it all back together for now and it idles much better now that its been cleaned . It still has the stock jets 170/35 180/35 180/35 170/35 so I am debating on whether to put a stage 1 or stage 2 in . I will pull the plugs once I get a chance and see what they look like. I am waiting for my vacuum gauge set I ordered off Ebay to get here before I do too much

Things to do

Kleen Air - Done
Drill /shim the slides
Float Bowl Mod
Stage 1 Jets
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:02 AM

Usually when you perform the float bowl mod as well as the Kleen Air delete, you will need to go down in main jet sizes. Check the jetting thread where members have listed their mods and jetting. It will likely put you very close if not spot on.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:45 AM

Hi Mike. What do you think of the G-Plus hose kit?

I see they are priced less than the Samco kit.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mte78 View Post
Hi Mike. What do you think of the G-Plus hose kit?

I see they are priced less than the Samco kit.
I like the hoses so far. Easy to use and came with new clamps. They were the correct size for what I ordered so overall I am happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjanut View Post
Usually when you perform the float bowl mod as well as the Kleen Air delete, you will need to go down in main jet sizes. Check the jetting thread where members have listed their mods and jetting. It will likely put you very close if not spot on.
Thanks Ninjanut , I will check them out. I am not sure of the mileage on the bike so before I start getting too far from OEM I thought I better check the valves. I popped the valve cover last night but haven't removed the stator cover yet. Probably do that tonight and see what the story is
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:45 PM

Check the cam chain guide that is supposed to be on the cover. If it is missing or damaged you should replace it. If missing, you will also need to locate all the bits.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it was just about to fall off, was cracked in 4 places, Fortunately is was still together and in one piece. This is the first time for me checking / setting the valves on this type of motor. I have done V8's before but that's about it. I have the service manual so I am going to read it a few more times tonight before I dive in.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:08 AM

You should definately replace it and check on it every time you have the cover off for valve check.
If you follow the manual for checking valves, you will be fine as it is not that difficult. If you need to adjust any, be organized and methodical and you will not have any issues. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Still haven't checked the valve clearance yet. i needed to take a few days off from the garage and refocus on work and actually feeding my body and bathing (wife's in China for a little while lol)

I covered it with a towel and closed the door but been shopping on Ebay for my next steps

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Vacuum...72.m2749.l2649

That , along with some carb gaskets and I am still looking into jetting. yes I call this relaxing / taking a break
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	10664  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in