The new guy - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

The new guy

Hey all! So here’s the deal. Not really a big sport bike fan. More into cruisers, and son, myself, as well as grandkids race dirt flat track. We are getting ready to build a quad for unlimited class, and picked up a 1985 ZX 900. Little bit of research I’ve done gives me the impression this bike is a classic, and given it was first Ninja ( same bike Tom Cruise rode in Top Gun), si kind of hesitant to cut it up. Any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:09 PM

I Ride: 1990 ZX-7 H2, 1992 ZX-7R K2, 1992 ZX-7/9, 2002 Ducati 900ie Supersport, etc...

Well, first a big hello and welcome.

2nd, hell no. I have a Veterans Day themed response for your question.

To put this into a perspective you may better appreciate, come back in time to 1986 when I was in high school. We just got drivers licenses and wanted to go to the CO river for spring break. Buddies flat bottom 17' had a blown engine. His older bro left for the service and left him his '68 fastback Mustang with a 390 and an AT in it... He said "do what you want". Well OK then!

The brain trust thought it a great idea to do a transplant and flog the rest of the 'stang off for a few bucks. Beer and steak bucks. A perfect cunning plan. As the saying went: "Gotta boat, you're gettin' throat" The end all be all for a bunch of teenagers. Maybe even get some college chicks to tolerate us for a bit. Maybe... NOT! But what did we know and we had so much hope.

To do this wasn't the best idea but the call of ass wasn't a call. It was a bellow that kept everyone up all night, every night beforehand. For WEEKS. But before any of this stupidity could be put into action, buddies dad, a former Marine (picture Gunny Ermey, but younger, more ripped and with far less social graces) threatened to "nut every last one of you baby dicks" if we did that.

I was a bit off-put by this so of course I told my pops who was a former Recon Ranger Sgt, and he said "I'll help". I was so stoked and thought "so great, we're going to the river!". A father and son mission!

But no so fast as I was quickly informed as to the cold hard fact he was not going to be on "our" side. Game and plan over.

Moral of story is we were told to find a better, newer motor that wasn't going to come out of something that would be (was already) deemed to be a classic. And bikes in particular have a far lower production number than any model of car so you've got the original Ninja that Tom Cruise rode...

My advice and strong hope is you keep it whole and get something else to make a frankenquad with. The ZX-9 C made far more power and is lighter too so you can make enough bucks by cleaning up and selling the ZX900R to get what you need.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:21 AM

Lol. That was great.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:32 PM

I Ride: 1985 ZX900A2/GPZ900R, 1996 ZX1100E/GPZ1100, 2016 Z800-ABS

Garage
That bike is a classic, what could arguably be called the first "real" sportbike.
I have an 85 I bought new (yeah, still got it after all these years)

Parts aren't too hard to find, if you don't mind looking about some European or Japanese sites.

Were it left to me, I'd restore it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page