07 ZX6R Speedo not working. (Stays at 0) - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

07 ZX6R Speedo not working. (Stays at 0)

Hey all, I'd like to pick your brains a little. I've got an 07 zx6r with a speedo not displaying anything but 0. It wouldn't be such a big deal, but it also doesn't add to the mileage. it's been at 18135 for a thousand or so miles... I've swapped the speedo sensor out twice. Still nothing. I bought it from my uncle, and it worked until his nephew rode it and broke the chain. Marred some plastics up a little, but also the speedo doesn't display anything. Any insights as to what it might be? Checked fuses for s&g too, but they were all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM

I Ride: 93 ZX7

Re: 07 ZX6R Speedo not working. (Stays at 0)

I have a 93 zx7. Same issue. Try replacing the speedo cable it might have broke off and u just cant see it til you remove it. Happened to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Banned

I Ride: A warhorse H model ZX7, 93 ZX7/9

Check the front sprocket. Thats where the speedo sensor gets its signal from. It might be broke or bent not giving the correct hall effect.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM

I Ride: 1998 ZX9R & 2007 ZX10R

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by christikitty View Post
check the front sprocket. Thats where the speedo sensor gets its signal from. It might be broke or bent not giving the correct hall effect.

Sir Throttle Twistin, Roo racin, Outbackin Post Whore of ZXF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseld13
I can't believe pastacio nuts are legal. Phuckers are highly addictive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzxter
Soooooooo, until someone comes up with a better solution,......... crop dusting with birth control
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

07 ZX6R Speedo not working. (Stays at 0)

It doesn't actually have a speedo cable it's a sensor. As for the sprocket, both sprockets were replaced with the chain. What do you mean by a "hall effect?" I was really thinking it could be electrical somewhere.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM
EZ Rider

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
Quote:
Check the front sprocket. Thats where the speedo sensor gets its signal from. It might be broke or bent not giving the correct hall effect.
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager62 View Post
It doesn't actually have a speedo cable it's a sensor. As for the sprocket, both sprockets were replaced with the chain. What do you mean by a "hall effect?" I was really thinking it could be electrical somewhere.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I wonder if the new front sprocket doesn't have the notches for the speed sensor.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM

I Ride: 1998 ZX9R & 2007 ZX10R

Garage
or put on inside out

Sir Throttle Twistin, Roo racin, Outbackin Post Whore of ZXF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseld13
I can't believe pastacio nuts are legal. Phuckers are highly addictive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzxter
Soooooooo, until someone comes up with a better solution,......... crop dusting with birth control
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Do any of you have an example of what it should look like so that I could compare it with the one on it and see if it is incorrect or simply put on backwards.?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
EZ Rider

Garage
part #13144
see the holes in the sprocket? I said notches.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...1611#sch443047
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
part #13144
see the holes in the sprocket? I said notches.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...1611#sch443047
It's funny that you bring that web page up. I was just on there looking at that same diagram. So it's the hole drilled into it that makes the sensor work eh? Makes sense. I guess I'll just need to go and take a look at the sprocket when i get home to see if it has those holes. I've looked at it before, but it's been a while ago.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Okay. I took a gander at the sprocket. No holes. So that got me wondering, and I called up the local motorcycle shop. They mentioned it could either read off of the sprocket or the sprocket nut. So I did a google search and on zx6r forums they show little marks on the sprocket nut that are meant for the hall sensor, which i'm assuming is another name for the speed sensor. So I gotta know, is it the sprocket or the nut that the speed sensor reads off of? I see sprockets all over with holes and some without. He did mention it could be backwards and there could be a strip with magnets in it on the sprocket that could do the signals. I'm really confused here! Even his dealer book didn't show what did the actual signaling for the speed sensor.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM
EZ Rider

Garage
This is only what I've heard and not even sure how true it is.
Guys would fill in one the holes in the 14 front sprocket to throw off the speed sensor and eliminate the 186 mph limit.
Not even sure why I posted that since I could be way off.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
This is only what I've heard and not even sure how true it is.
Guys would fill in one the holes in the 14 front sprocket to throw off the speed sensor and eliminate the 186 mph limit.
Not even sure why I posted that since I could be way off.
Sounds hokey enough to work. I wish i could just talk to a kawasaki tech or something. I guess i'll just have to experiment a little bit.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Banned

The speed sensor works off of a magnetic switch. A hall effect. Now there has to be something there for the sensor to pick up the signal from. Either ribs on the circumference of the sprocket, or I have seen sprocket nuts with a square "crown" that the sensor reads from. I'm pretty sure you have the wrong nut. Can you post a pic of what you have setup as it may help us out a little bit. My money is you have the wrong sprocket nut on it and that is why it wont pick up the signal the ECU needs to send the pulse signal to the speedo head.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The speed sensor works off of a magnetic switch. A hall effect. Now there has to be something there for the sensor to pick up the signal from. Either ribs on the circumference of the sprocket, or I have seen sprocket nuts with a square "crown" that the sensor reads from. I'm pretty sure you have the wrong nut. Can you post a pic of what you have setup as it may help us out a little bit. My money is you have the wrong sprocket nut on it and that is why it wont pick up the signal the ECU needs to send the pulse signal to the speedo head.
Here are the pictures. And that isn't rust, it's grime. And i do apologize for the filth.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Banned

It's right. I would start tracking down wiring now. Mechanically it's right. is there supposed to be a magnet that screws into the sprocket nut? Or is the sensor magnetic? I don't remember. It looks like your chain is rubbing on something too.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's right. I would start tracking down wiring now. Mechanically it's right. is there supposed to be a magnet that screws into the sprocket nut? Or is the sensor magnetic? I don't remember. It looks like your chain is rubbing on something too.
Here's a closer picture.

Before I get on to electrical I have noticed a couple things that are missing. The lock ring, that I hear about a lot on videos of people trying to replace their sprockets, but also a washer type thing. If you see here on this website.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...3980#sch443577

If you look at part number 92200c, it doesn't seem that i have that part on my motorcycle. Could it be that without that washer and lock washer that perhaps the nut doesn't stick out far enough for the speed sensor to collect a signal? Any thoughts? I'm getting the speed sensor tested at the dealership on Monday, just to make absolutely sure it works, even though i've gone through 4 and they all seemed fine.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

Yeah you need the lock washer on there to make sure the nut doesn't take a vacation. It goes under the nut then you bend it over. You can test the sensor yourself though. take an ohm meter, and connect it to the wires. Then take something metal and it should cause a change in the reading. Not sure what the resistance should be but a service manual should tell you.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah you need the lock washer on there to make sure the nut doesn't take a vacation. It goes under the nut then you bend it over. You can test the sensor yourself though. take an ohm meter, and connect it to the wires. Then take something metal and it should cause a change in the reading. Not sure what the resistance should be but a service manual should tell you.
That lock washer is important yes, but what about that other washer? It's a pretty big washer...
As for testing the SS.The manual tells me i need power to test it like that, but it wants a little harness tool that makes it way easier. I can't tell if i'm ever doing it right. The guy at the dealership has the tool i'm assuming and is only gonna charge me like ten bucks. I'll just bring my pile of speed sensors down and have em check it out.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Banned

That works. Yes if you are missing the spacing washer to kick that nut out then it won't have the correct clearance and will not work. I forgot those had one cause it's been a while since I worked on one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page