head bolts.. - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 01' zx9r

head bolts..

hey everyone... was just wondering if the head bolts to a 93 zx6d are the same as a 00 zx7r? and if so is it wise to use used head bolts? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:33 PM

I don't know if their the same but I'm pretty sure the head bolts are torque to yield. Meaning when you torque them down they actually stretch. Long story short, IMO I'd buy new head bolts.

Why Tip-Toe Through Life Only To Arrive At Death's Door-Step Safely?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 PM

I Ride: 98 zx-7r, 84 honda vf 750f

my factory service manual for my 98 zx7r does not say to replace the head bolts, and my friend who builds racing engines didnt say i needed to... i asked i myself am currently rebuilding my motor and the torque spec for my engine's head bolts are 33 ft/lbs... not enough to stretch the bolts past the point of no return

as far as the 00 zx7r bolts working for the 93 zx6.... who knows.... have you checked the part numbers on each of them?

Sir Airplane Greasin, Curve Carvin, Badass Mofo Monkey Whore of ZXF

98 ZX7R -
84 VF 750 F - Blown Head Gasket (in repair on backburner...)

if your not living on the edge your taking up too much space

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgreesemonkey View Post
my factory service manual for my 98 zx7r does not say to replace the head bolts, and my friend who builds racing engines didnt say i needed to... i asked i myself am currently rebuilding my motor and the torque spec for my engine's head bolts are 33 ft/lbs... not enough to stretch the bolts past the point of no return

as far as the 00 zx7r bolts working for the 93 zx6.... who knows.... have you checked the part numbers on each of them?
From what my parts guy told me, the head bolts *mine* aren't torque to yield because it was designed to be taken apart and put back together in a timely fashion for track days and such.

@zxrperf - Definitely check your SM first though.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM

dude are you on crack??? either your just paraphrased what i just said or your doing a very poor job of mocking me. either way you recently stated in your own thread that you dont know much if anything about motorcycles so why dont you leave the tech stuff to those who have been there and know what they are talking about

98 ZX7R -

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
dude are you on crack??? either your just paraphrased what i just said or your doing a very poor job of mocking me. either way you recently stated in your own thread that you dont know much if anything about motorcycles so why dont you leave the tech stuff to those who have been there and know what they are talking about
No need to get your panties in a wad. I'm not mocking you.

I'm just offering my advice to those that are looking for some. It doesn't hurt anything to have different approaches to the same problem. Yeah I said I don't know a lot about motorcycles, but I do know more then some. Unlike some people (I'm in no way implying you since you seem to be the feely/touchy type) I don't pretend to know everything about bikes, and I'm perfectly comfortable saying so. It's my opinions/advice. People take it for what it's worth. If I'm wrong, prove it. I have no qualms with learning something new. I'd rather be proven wrong, then go about my way doing it wrong.

Leave it to the people that have been there and done that? So your saying people who know what their talking about? Then why don't you do the same. All you did is look in the SM and quote your "mechanic" who builds racing engines. Yay! A fucking cookie.

I'm rebuilding my 04 636. I think that makes me just as qualified as you, probably a little under. Either way it's a public forum.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM

I Ride: zx9r E1(blew up), zx9r F1

Im rebuilding my engine and the reason guys say to replace the head bolts and I spent the money on new ones too is because from all the heat and the big torque on them they stretch out abit so the torque setting isnt as acurate as new bolts because theyve stretched just that little bit..my manual has different torque settings for new bolts or used and it says not to reuse more than once..

Sir heavy haulin', boot draggin', Nine grindin' post whore of ZXF

Controlling a Machine of Pure Violence
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind. View Post
No need to get your panties in a wad. I'm not mocking you.

I'm just offering my advice to those that are looking for some. It doesn't hurt anything to have different approaches to the same problem. Yeah I said I don't know a lot about motorcycles, but I do know more then some. Unlike some people (I'm in no way implying you since you seem to be the feely/touchy type) I don't pretend to know everything about bikes, and I'm perfectly comfortable saying so. It's my opinions/advice. People take it for what it's worth. If I'm wrong, prove it. I have no qualms with learning something new. I'd rather be proven wrong, then go about my way doing it wrong.

Leave it to the people that have been there and done that? So your saying people who know what their talking about? Then why don't you do the same. All you did is look in the SM and quote your "mechanic" who builds racing engines. Yay! A fucking cookie.

I'm rebuilding my 04 636. I think that makes me just as qualified as you, probably a little under. Either way it's a public forum.
talk about the pot calling the kettle black... wow

i call you out when your post screams of sarcasm because my post is opposite from yours and im touchy feelly and have my panties in a bunch???

98 ZX7R -

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
talk about the pot calling the kettle black... wow

i call you out when your post screams of sarcasm because my post is opposite from yours and im touchy feelly and have my panties in a bunch???
Scream of sarcasm? Because it's opposite of mine? You sir are mistaken. That was not sarcasm. I was being quite literal. I went up to the local Kawasaki dealership to buy parts (head gasket, base gasket, exhaust gasket etc..) and I inquired about new head bolts, if I needed them or not. He said no, because they aren't torque to yield. If anything I was only re-enforcing your post being right and mine being wrong. You just took it as me poking fun at you, which I'm really not. Looking at my post I guess I could see how you inferred that. Either way it's all good.

(This thread has been officially hi-jacked)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

I Ride: '97 ZX6R Turbo

The head bolts are the same. The factory would recommend using new bolts but you should be fine with used ones. Oil the threads and torque them in sequence to the specified values. This may take 3 passes in an X pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page