1Likes
  • 1 Post By lil.del

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

2000 ZX6R Wont stay running... Stuck

Hey new to the forums :)
Im completely stuck. Heres the situation:

Bike: 2000 Zx6r

The bike was running great. Went for a run one day and the idle started going funky. I thought the carbs might be in need of a cleaning so I took it to a mechanic to get a service done. After 3 weeks of trying, we still cannot get the bike to work right. She will start but not stay running when warmed up. The things we have done so far:

1. Cleaned carbs and synced
2. Changed CDI
3. Replaced Pulse Coil
4. Adjusted idle
5. Tested to Voltage to the Throttle Position Sensor (5v)
6. New Gas
7. Checked Engine Compression

The fuel seems to be getting to the carbs, the bike almost sounds like it may be flooding out. Once going if you keep the throttle in she will go steady, but release and it idles fine for a few seconds, then dies out. Once warm it will have a hard time starting again if at all. Let it cool down and it will go again with the same effects. It seems to run fine when moving, but slowing down and stopping she will die if I dont keep revving.

Any ideas on what to try next, im really at a loss.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM

I Ride: 2001 kawasaki zx9

I have the same prob i have a 2001 zx9 and it seems like its flooded but it will turn but wont stay started. its been two days and wont start period.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:27 PM

I Ride: 1990 ZX750F4

Sounds like what is going on with my 90 750 Ninja. Ten to Fifteen miles into the ride and idles like crap and stalls when you stop. Very sluggish when you take off. Can't wait to see what is suggested.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

New symptom!

Gas in the oil when it was drained.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM

I Ride: 2001 kawasaki zx9

Got her going! Mines changed sparkplugs and vacum line running better than ever. Maybe u could try it best of luck
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM

jerrico,
I haven't looked at the vacuum lines yet, thanks for the head up. I was thinking maybe clogged or varnished pilot screw or jet. Great you got her going. Give her a good flogging.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Rein, any luck?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

An Update :)

Well I decided to go ahead and strip the carbs off my bike myself this time rather than take the shops word for it. i soaked them, cleaned all the jets, checked to floats and put it all back together. Also found that my petcock tube in my gas tank had been actually not be attached and thus no filter directly on the tank. So I put the tube back on the petcock, replaced some fuel lines, cleaned the gas filter, put the carbs back together and put some seafoam in the gas when I gassed up the bike. Changed the oil (gas was in previous oil) and started her. To my surprise she went on the first go.

Im Guessing it was a carb issue after all, one of the vacuum hoses was a little dirty, and I think one of the needle valves may have been sticking. As of now she runs fine though. Will go for a few runs this week to see if everything is still going well with it.

Ill keep this updated incase I actually havent found the culprit :)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Well Bike ran fine for a day then went back to the original problem.....

I stripped the bike down to the carbs again and noticed the 2 on the left were leaking some fuel.... Im guessing over gassing is an issue here. The float boal orings seem to be fine so i dont think fuel is comming from the float bowls.... Where else could the gas be leaking from? I can see it dripping on the adjustment screws.... I removed my gas tank and used a make shift gas feed, The pump seems to be pumping the fuel no problems. Added some seafoam to the gas and the bike runs great with everything hooked up, except those two carbs seem to be leaking...

No ideas.... guessing the carbs need to come apart again. Thats tommorows job i guess. Any suggestions where i should be lookin for these leaks?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 AM

Here's an off-the-wall possibility. There is a little hose that is some kind of pressure feedback that connects the front intake RAM ducts to an interior air system. It's the centre hose shown in this picture of the removed air ducts:

Check that that hose is connected and not blocked.

If it's not connected, the bike will start and run under light load, but will stutter and die under power.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:41 AM

I Ride: '01 ZX6R

more things to check for these symptoms.

1) stator
2) regulator

Flat Black 2001 ZX6R (with Cali emissions )
* 15/45 Supersprox setup
* Custom shorty Yoshimura RS-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman14 View Post
If a bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush, then a hand in the bush, is worth dinner and a movie!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Took the carbs apart again...
Seems the seat orings are in pretty tough shape. Will try to replace those today. Dont know if this may be contributing to the issue.

Will Also check the rectifier/front intakes and stator to see if any of those are the culprit.

Will post an update later :)

Thanks for the suggestions, feel free to post more if you have any ideas.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to ask :)

Anyone know exactly what size/make the orings are for the seats?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 AM

I Ride: ZX600-F3 Ninja ZX-6R (1997)

Check bikebandits.com they'll tell you what size

"If war is hell... You'd better take a bigger pitch fork than the devil..."
U.S. Georgia Army National Guard - I'm an MP baby

Add me to Facebook hope to ride with yall soon
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Doesnt say the size on any of the sites, or in the service manual :(
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Okay well the bike is running now :)
Idles @ 1300 and stays running strong.

It ended up being a seat oring detereorated :) On test ride number 5 and it seems to be panning out.

Thanks for the help everyone, hope a few other people may have gotten some help from this along the way.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 10:57 AM

I got a 2000 zx6 and when i first start it for the day it runs great but after i ride for a mile it bogs down and seems like it's running on 1 or 2 cylinders and i have to keep giving throttle to keep it running but if i let it sit for a few hours it's fine again till i try to ride i cleaned the carbs and changed the plugs and didn't help when it first started i could hold it at 2000rpms and it would eventually straighten out and run good for about 5miles but now once it bogs down it won't straighten out unless i let it sit for a few hours
oldmanwolverine likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil.del View Post
I got a 2000 zx6 and when i first start it for the day it runs great but after i ride for a mile it bogs down and seems like it's running on 1 or 2 cylinders and i have to keep giving throttle to keep it running but if i let it sit for a few hours it's fine again till i try to ride i cleaned the carbs and changed the plugs and didn't help when it first started i could hold it at 2000rpms and it would eventually straighten out and run good for about 5miles but now once it bogs down it won't straighten out unless i let it sit for a few hours
I'm having the same issue. Would like to find out what's going on

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page