ZX Forums

ZX Forums (https://www.zxforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical & Technical (https://www.zxforums.com/forums/mechanical-technical/)
-   -   98 ZX6R.....No spark (https://www.zxforums.com/forums/mechanical-technical/31960-98-zx6r-no-spark.html)

baparish 02-14-2010 12:51 PM

98 ZX6R.....No spark

I have no clue where else to look.. The power to the IC box is good. The pickup coil ohm reading is good.. the coils read good...i have 4 different IC boxes that I have tried and get nothing...from what I have read and found is that the IC is not telling the coils to fire.. The coils have 12.5v on the red and the black and green have the same 12.5v.. I am at my wits end on what is wrong and need advice before it goes to the dealer.

zaneyzrex 02-14-2010 04:27 PM

bad ignition switch, bad ok/off switch, bad kickstand, bad clutch switch.....

baparish 02-15-2010 02:19 PM

all the switches check out good. still at a dead end...

racerjon199 02-15-2010 05:04 PM

Could be the magneto

baparish 02-20-2010 02:19 PM

something that may be an issue....the grey wire from the switch has 12.5 volts at the connector when it is unhooked from the IC box...When i hook it up to the IC box it 6.5 volts...This is very confusing to me..any help would be very helpful

nauticalmike 02-25-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baparish (Post 250438)
something that may be an issue....the grey wire from the switch has 12.5 volts at the connector when it is unhooked from the IC box...When i hook it up to the IC box it 6.5 volts...This is very confusing to me..any help would be very helpful

I am assuming that you are using a good location for your ground when taking these voltage readings. That being the case if the apparent voltage you are reading is different disconnected than it is when it is hooked up it means that 1)current is flowing 2)that there is some resistance in that circuit between the battery and where you are taking your reading. although i am new to bikes, this is a common practice with cars. When you turn the key to start the engine you will get full voltage to the ignition system through the starting circuit, but when you return the key to the run position the power is fed through a separate circuit that has a resistor in it. This reduces the apparent voltage supplied to the ignition circuit when the engine is running. I'm guesssing that may be what you are seeing.

If not then you probably have abad connnection or a bad wire somewhere inbetween the battery and the ignition circuit. It could even be the switch itself.

Perhaps someone that is more familiar with how they set up the ignition circuits on these things can confirm or deny the existance of a resistor that's supposed to be there.

ninja11zx 02-25-2010 05:34 PM

since you have 12.5 volts at the coils and 4 igniter boxes that roles out that. check ground side of coils and my guess is that it will be the pickup coil or wiring from p/u coil to the box even if it checks good. good luck.

baparish 03-01-2010 03:20 PM

I had a little bit a time to try a few things...i can get spark out of the coils when I ground them out...but when i unhook the fuel pump the coils wont fire...could a bad fuel pump relay cause this or am i still stuck searching

baparish 03-04-2010 05:43 PM

Its running finally. The 2 wires that s go to the pickup coil were reversed for some reason. Switched them back and it runs perfect now.

Calebharts 04-21-2014 09:59 AM

Same problem

I hate to bump and old thread but I'm having the same problem I have a 2000 zx6r that I parked for the winter and now I can't get a spark was wondering if was running b4 the problem happened or you got the bike like this

92Ninjas 04-21-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calebharts (Post 2772369)
I hate to bump and old thread but I'm having the same problem I have a 2000 zx6r that I parked for the winter and now I can't get a spark was wondering if was running b4 the problem happened or you got the bike like this

What troubleshooting have you done?

Calebharts 04-21-2014 10:18 AM

I've posted a new thread to try and explain more detailed

Calebharts 04-21-2014 10:27 AM