1999 Ninja ZX9R - Dies when giving it gas - ZX Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kwacker9
  • 2 Post By ninjanut
  • 2 Post By 57x

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

1999 Ninja ZX9R - Dies when giving it gas

Hi Guys. So I got a 1999 zx9r which ran fine but seemed low on power. I rebuilt the carbs (I didn't sync them - could this be it? It ran ok though and drove fine last fall and I changed nothing concerning that) and put on a new fuel pump and filter. Now it dies any time I give it gas. It needs the choke on for it to idle. It will idle all day - until i give it gas and it dies. Bad fuel pump maybe? Would apprecaite your thoughts. The video of it is here - https://youtu.be/8Z_cE0PkeNA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:23 PM

I Ride: ZX9r

I would guess shes flooding>touch the exhaust headers with a wet finger just to suss if all cyls are firing. note which ones are cool.
Now is a good a time as any to make up an auxiliary fuel tank so you can run the engine.
With the air box removed look into the carb inlets>your looking for fuel splurges around the needle which would indicate flooding from that carb.

Did this problem happen after you balanced the carbs? Or did you balance them on the bench ?

I know you are sure the carbs are clean,as have I thought the same many times ! But it only takes a tiny shit particle on the rubber tip of the needle jet to cause flooding.

How many turns out on your pilot fuel screw ? and check the O' rings on the PFS are ok

What happens when you increase the tick over via the turn screw for the tick over ?

ZX9r B
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:56 AM

I Ride: '93 "zx7" REobtainium

if any of the cylinders are running hot, they'll glow. You'll know if it's leaned out too much on carb tuning aspect of it. Make sure you don't have any pinched fuel lines. I had that happen to me once. Then, check the fuel pump for proper operation (pump relay too).

Sir Rag Filterin', Long Ass Waitin', Assless PJ Wearin' Post Whore of ZXF
1993 "zxr750" REobtainium
1996 zx7r P1(aka Zombiehorse)
1993 zxr750 L1(Totaled/donor bike)
2010 250R(Voluntary Repo..)
1992 zx11(Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
I don't have any friends so I would have to vote,
1 - I like to do it all by myself

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K950 View Post
I would guess shes flooding>touch the exhaust headers with a wet finger just to suss if all cyls are firing. note which ones are cool.
Now is a good a time as any to make up an auxiliary fuel tank so you can run the engine.
With the air box removed look into the carb inlets>your looking for fuel splurges around the needle which would indicate flooding from that carb.

Did this problem happen after you balanced the carbs? Or did you balance them on the bench ?

I know you are sure the carbs are clean,as have I thought the same many times ! But it only takes a tiny shit particle on the rubber tip of the needle jet to cause flooding.

How many turns out on your pilot fuel screw ? and check the O' rings on the PFS are ok

What happens when you increase the tick over via the turn screw for the tick over ?
2 turns if i remember right on the pilot screw. I put in all new everything when I rebuilt them, what are you referring to when you say PFS? whats tick over? As far as balancing em I did it using a light and they look damn close is you mean synch them. Granted I should buy a synch tool, but im not sure even if the butterflies were off a little it bit would cause this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromDNAPowersports View Post
2 turns if i remember right on the pilot screw. I put in all new everything when I rebuilt them, what are you referring to when you say PFS? whats tick over? As far as balancing em I did it using a light and they look damn close is you mean synch them. Granted I should buy a synch tool, but im not sure even if the butterflies were off a little it bit would cause this.
PFS= Pilot Fuel Screw
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM

When you restart the bike after it dies, the idle is high at first, then settles. With the choke being engaged, it should stay high, not level off to normal idle speed. If you have access to a sub-sonic (or supersonic I can't remember which it is) carb/parts cleaner, run the carbs through it about 2-3 times. Then reassemble and bench sync them. Upon disassembly or reassembly, make sure the rubber top on the carb slides are not damaged. Inspect carb boots for any vacuum leaks. 2 turns out from lightly seated Fuel Screw and tune it from there. Upon reinstalling the fuel tank, ensure the fuel lines are not being pinched.

Sir Rag Filterin', Long Ass Waitin', Assless PJ Wearin' Post Whore of ZXF
1993 "zxr750" REobtainium
1996 zx7r P1(aka Zombiehorse)
1993 zxr750 L1(Totaled/donor bike)
2010 250R(Voluntary Repo..)
1992 zx11(Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
I don't have any friends so I would have to vote,
1 - I like to do it all by myself
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Ninjas View Post
When you restart the bike after it dies, the idle is high at first, then settles. With the choke being engaged, it should stay high, not level off to normal idle speed. If you have access to a sub-sonic (or supersonic I can't remember which it is) carb/parts cleaner, run the carbs through it about 2-3 times. Then reassemble and bench sync them. Upon disassembly or reassembly, make sure the rubber top on the carb slides are not damaged. Inspect carb boots for any vacuum leaks. 2 turns out from lightly seated Fuel Screw and tune it from there. Upon reinstalling the fuel tank, ensure the fuel lines are not being pinched.
I had a similar problem many years ago with my 9R. There is a rubber hose from the front of the fairing to the engine. I had neglected to attach it at both ends. Do't ask me what it is for, I just know it has to be hooked up.
92Ninjas likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:03 PM

I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

Just a thought. Did you remove or disrupt the TPS?
92Ninjas and K950 like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:13 PM
57x

I Ride: 2018 H2 SX SE, 2005 Z750S, ZX7R Superbikes

It seems to me to be an air leak. If it is only idling low with choke on you are too lean, so again, an air leak.

Another option is a fuel filter that is plugged.

Simplify things. Run a fuel IV bottle, not through the fuel pump, direct to the carbs. You do not need a fuel pump if you are gravity fed and it helps isolate it from the pump and filter. If it runs well, find out why you are not getting fuel.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
It seems to me to be an air leak. If it is only idling low with choke on you are too lean, so again, an air leak.

Another option is a fuel filter that is plugged.

Simplify things. Run a fuel IV bottle, not through the fuel pump, direct to the carbs. You do not need a fuel pump if you are gravity fed and it helps isolate it from the pump and filter. If it runs well, find out why you are not getting fuel.
Good idea. I"m thinking its the fuel pump but this should tell me. Know of a good aftermarket one? Or how to set one up?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjanut View Post
i tore everything apart. and put it back together. Coudl that be it?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes. When cleaning it. Now what?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. If you disconnected it and put it back incorrectly, it could cause the conditions you described. Use the testing procedure in the manual to make sure it is okay and set properly.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response. If you disconnected it and put it back incorrectly, it could cause the conditions you described. Use the testing procedure in the manual to make sure it is okay and set properly.
I didnt see that in the manual.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM

I don’t have a 9 manual handy but I know the TPS on my RR has a simple test to verify that it is functioning properly. The nine is different but should be a way to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page