Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

2017 zx14 R piston/wall destroyed?

5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Jacob Elizabeth Bruns 
#1 ·
I bought the bike brand new put 5k miles on it, and this is what happened to my piston and the wall they cannot find the cause of it any ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
If the flash and all voids the warranty, they’d have no reason to warranty the problem. The fact they “blamed it” on the tuning means they know about the mods and if this were common, you’d hear more about other instances. I think we’re making some unsubstantiated assumptions somehow.

#18 ·
The dealer is doing the work under warranty and probably have no obligation to explain the cause. Maybe they don’t know or don’t care to know or know and don’t want to say.
I think calling all dealers incompetent is a bit harsh and a general statement. I had warranty work done many years ago and the dealer simply explained what work they did and what the warranty on that work was. They never explained what the cause was.

#19 ·
Same thing with my 14R. My motor spun 2 rod bearings. After fighting with Kawasaki for 4 months, neither the dealership nor Kawasaki could give me an answer of WHY it happened, i found out the answer on many zx14r forums. Kawasaki denied the warranty because they couldnt find the issue. Covered the rebuild as good will since. I have owned 6 kawi’s.

#20 ·
What was the answer to spinning 2 rod bearings?
The 2007 had some #3 rod failures and nobody really had the answer.
Suspected loss of oil flow either from bike laying on it's side or wheelies due to the oil pick up in front of motor
Never confirmed though

#24 ·
Never raced my bike. Just highway pulls and it still failed at 3880kms. Had the dealership install the ape cover when they rebuilt the motor. That was fine but then the cct wasnt holding the chain slack and was causing alot of noise. It was about to jump a tooth at any time so i installed a manual cct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.