Carburetor synchronization/synchronisation - 45 minute Do-It-Yourself - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Post Carburetor synchronization/synchronisation - 45 minute Do-It-Yourself

This should be relevant to carbureted engines with 2, 3 or 4 cylinders. EFI throttle body bikes, review your repair manual's procedure. For 2005-2006 ZX6 TB sync CLICK HERE. A highly recommended Do-It-Yourself, especially if you can borrow someone else's sync tool. It is really that easy.

My used ZX-9r ran poorly at purchase and I performed an eyeball sync* myself last year to smooth most of it out, but it still wasn't perfect. I decided to perform a real carb synchronization and purchased a Carbtune Pro 4 (58 GBP/$85 shipped) after reading good reviews.

Following my Haynes repair manual, I warmed the bike up (140 degrees) raising idle to 1,500 RPM, turned it off, removed the gas tank, connected the sync vacuum tubes to their intake points (below each intake boot), started the bike, sync'ed cylinders 1&2, then 3&4, then left side to right side. That took a whole 2 minutes, so for good measure I fueled the carbs up one more time, blipped the throttle to 1,800 to reseat the butterflies and repeated. The Carbtune made this work out to be child's play.**

No more ruppity-ruppidity. She purrs like a new bike, holding right at 1,100 RPM. Throttle body synchronization theory says that the engine will start easier, run cooler, be more efficient, smoother, with better throttle response & power.

04/2009 1,000 mile update I had to sync her again after some 1/4 mile runs for a Youtube short vid. Dunno why. The science holds true. She runs cool & smooth, starts easy & is a joy to ride. She's very miserly for something so wickedly powerful.
I only wish I would have done this 6 months ago.

*The science behind cylinder vacuum efficiency depends on many factors other than carb/EFI butterfly position; pilot air screw symmetry, pilot circuit clogs/efficiency, minor discrepancies in piston and ring fit, valve opening gap, valve air flow efficiency, carbon build up, temperature, oil weight, etc. Therefore, the only way to accurately synchronize the draw evenly is to use a tool that can measure each cylinder's efficiency.

** Before syncing carbs, always set the pilot air screws symmetrically. If you suspect the pilot air circuit may be dirty, pull the screws, clean the circuit plumbing, set them symmetrically, then perform your sync.

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.

Last edited by e1_ZX-9r; 05-17-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 AM

Thanks, this is a good info.

99" Ninja 7
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 AM

good post

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM

sounds pretty damn easy
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

A visual to help

I get asked occasionally on how high each bar should be, to which I answer it doesn't matter.

Assume this look at the sync tool, where the '*' symbolize the vertical bars:

..........*
.......* * *
0) * * * * sorry about all the periods, it's the only way to line things up.

.........*
...* * * *
1)* * * * sync # 1 & 2 with the screw between them

.........* *
...* * * *
2)* * * * sync # 3 & 4

...* * * *
3)* * * * sync left side (1&2) to right (3&4)

Or pictorially --
When connected to a vacuum sync tool the discrepancies become all too apparent.

before

after

A word of recommended caution. For best results, get your carbs set the way you want first. In other words, set the idle mixture screws identically and set float heights first. Then sync your carbs. Done right, your ride should be dreamy. (See picture below showing the three synchronization screws).

Alright! Trading bikes for a while was fun.I'm ready for mine back. No, seriously, get off my bike. Ahh, what a privilege it is to have such a sweet ride.
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.

Last edited by e1_ZX-9r; 01-24-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Updated my own sync screw image. The other user's PB link died.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM

I Ride: ZX-12R and Road Star Warrior

I think I need this done. Will have to become more familiar with bike/engine before doing this though...
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 AM

I Ride: 07 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Amazing how easy things are when people actually try to do something themselves. I solute you sir! My sync pro is awesome and it's worth every penny!
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 PM

I Ride: 93 zx11 turbo

probably a dumb question but are the carbs on a kawi like the ones on my old honda where as num 2 carb was the base carb ie non adjustable therefore used as a base to set the rest?

GOT BOOST?
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Always consult your repair manual for the exact procedure and tune your jetting prior to the synchronization, but chances are your four cylinder ZX-11 has the standard three balancing screws as shown <here>. And therefore the answer is no. There is no carb that is the master to which all others need to comply.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 AM

I Ride: 1999 Kawasaki ZX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_ZX-9r View Post
Always consult your repair manual for the exact procedure and tune your jetting prior to the synchronization, but chances are your four cylinder ZX-11 has the standard three balancing screws as shown <here>. And therefore the answer is no. There is no carb that is the master to which all others need to comply.
Is this the tool that I should be purchasing???

Carbtune ll 4 port carburetor synchronizer

Do I need anything else to go with this???
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 AM

I Ride: 07 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboogie View Post
Is this the tool that I should be purchasing???

Carbtune ll 4 port carburetor synchronizer

Do I need anything else to go with this???
You need the tubes to screw in the intake. I can't really see the end of the hoses. I hope they are included with that tool.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:45 AM

I Ride: 1999 Kawasaki ZX9

Let me email the guy..........
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Also look for the clear plastic restriction tube pictured below. Without it you'll have no way to get a steady reading...perhaps why this guy is selling it...'hey man, it doesn't work right....' ...No kidding. Ever try reading the assembly instructions.

The tube is cut into four equal ~1" lengths and inserted into each black vacuum tube, so it goes black tube, clear, black tube.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Thanks ... excellent tip !
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM

It takes about twice that on the 2002 zx9. The screws are at the front of the carbs and you have to take the airbox off to get at them. The middle one is a mother-*er to get at too.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:08 AM

how did you get the tubes on the carb? I had the bike apart today and the vacuum take off points are buried deep under the carbs and I have no idea how to get them attached
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

The Carbtune vacuum hoses are attached, in order, to their respective intake vacuum nipples (#92150). You remove/pop-off the existing vacuum hose, attach the Carbtune hose, sync the carbs, then reattach the existing vacuum hose to its exact intake vacuum nipple.

Picture compliments of CyclePartsNation.com

post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Yea I think I have the right hoses (3 brown hoses attached to 1 3 and 4 and a blanking bolt on no.2 but I cant get any access to them as they are really far underneath, is the zx9r different ?
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, sorry. I just assumed you had a 9. Different models will have different configurations. I know another rider had to order the 4th nipple just so he could do his. What bike do you have? I could look it up on CyclePartsNation to see your configuration.

Yup. ZX-9r is pictured above.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM

I have a year 2000 zx7r thanks for the help btw :)

Last edited by rich1988; 05-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page