2000 zx6r no spark - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 2000 Kawasaki zx6r

2000 zx6r no spark

Hey so I've got a 2000 zx6r that I've had for a year it ran fine last fall but I parked it for the winter and no icant get a spark thought it wouldn't start because the spark plugs were bad so I pulled the plugs and changed them and still no start so I checked the spark plugs and I'm not getting any spark and I'm not quite sure what to check first read a couple threads that suggested checking all connectors and one said to check the volts coming to the coils but haven't got to do that yet. Was wondering if maybe the coil sensor could be dirty and not getting the signal and I'm not 100% sure but it might have a motor from a 99 because it doesn't have the coil packs over the spark plugs but I don't know enough about the bike a to say weather or not some of the 2000 have the same setup. Also I had to store it outside for the winter so I had it under a tarp not sure if that will change anything or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I've tried getting a spark at the end of the wire tried just grounding out the coil pack and checking connectors for corrosion but not sure what switches and connectors to test thy would inhibit the coils from sparking
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 PM

You need at least 12v while cranking for spark. They will spin over fine with 11.5 v but no sparky.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisp View Post
You need at least 12v while cranking for spark. They will spin over fine with 11.5 v but no sparky.

That's odd cuz I know last fall ha a low battery and it barley cranked over but managed to fire
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quisp View Post
so if my voltage happens to drop to 10.5 or 10.8 ish what is the cause of that or what could potentially be the problem with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page