BlueTooth Intercom - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

BlueTooth Intercom

Anyone had experience of these new bluetooth intercoms. http://nitro-helmets.com/product_det...product_id=234. They are called InterPhone. I have used Autocom and Starcom and have no complaints but like the idea of going totally wirefree and wireless. Price in the UK is very good at around £275.00 for two units. rider and pillion. This compares really well against Autocom etc.
Someone posted a thread here about which intercom to fit on the GTR as there is little room for the black boxes and all the addons. This may be the solution. It also works bike to bike up to 150mtrs.
I have the garmin Zumo550 GPS which is bluetooth compatible so ideal.
The only thing I have heard, and I don't know whether it applies to the interphone, is that the current bluetooth technology is not very good at handling music ie. MP3 tunes as it distorts the frequencies. I like to listen to music on long trips so would be keen to hear any feedback on this system. It is also marketed in Canada and the USA by http://www.gimotocanada.com/index.html

Chris

The biggest difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys........

Last edited by Hitman; 07-29-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 07:06 AM

I Ride: 2008 Concours14 #5361

Looks cool... but I only see one speaker for the helmet, checked accessories too... kinda tough listening to music with one speaker

Jerry

There really isn't much difference between "the masses" and "them asses"....
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Yea, Noticed that as well. Wouldn't be too hard to add another..or chop off an ear! I'm sure that Intephone will come up with a solution. They already have added a full face system with a stick on mic rather than the boom type for liftups and openface.

Chris

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 AM

Communication equipment

Though I have a wireless license, my companions don't have it.
Therefore, I think about the purchase of another communication apparatus.
I’m interested in INTERPHONE, too.

Interphone/ Bluetooth Headset //Japanese//:
http://www.rough-and-road.co.jp/HP/06vol_15.jpg

Interphone (×1): ¥28,500 (ECT) ⇒ about US$240
Interphone (×2): ¥55,000 (ECT) ⇒ about US$464
☆ECT: Excluding Consumption Tax

Cellularline/ Interphone //English//:
http://www.interphone.cellularline.com/home_eng.html

Interphone/ Video:
http://www.interphone.cellularline.c...nterphone.html

Interphone/ Instruction Manual //Italian, English, Japanese, etc.//:
http://www.interphone.cellularline.c...PHONE_istr.pdf

I want to communicate with my companions while listening to the voice guide of the GPS navigation system. 

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 03:55 AM

I Ride: GTR 1400 / ST1100

Scala Rider / bluetooth

I use a Scala rider , bluetooth with my nokia phone and zumo GPS, works realy well , but have bought a new Scala rider twin set that has intercom as well ! It hasnt arived as yet but am sure it will be fine .
You can try the web site : www.cardowireless.com
They have 3 models , 1 / standard for phone , GPS etc . 2 / same as standard but with a fm radio . 3 / Twinset with intecom ..

Cheers Holma
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 09:50 PM

I Ride: '97 YZF 600R, 2008 Concours 14 ABS

I've talked with J&M Audio on several occassions and they are in production on a Bluetooth clamp-on version of their mic/headset w/dual speakers. http://www.jmcorp.com/index.html Their Bluetooth mic/headset for the Nolan N-Com http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/blue_cord.htm is still in development and they are suppose to send me one for Beta testing as soon as one is available prior to it going full production. I'll let ya know as soon as I hear something.

"Faster! Faster! Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 08CC14; 07-31-2007 at 09:55 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM

I'm waiting on J&M Audio but had CycleBarn install the Nolan Bluetooth Headset into my Nolan N102 helmet today since they gave 15% off all my accessories for purchasing the C-14 today. Tomorrow I'll test it with the Garmin 2820 GPS and Motorola cell phone and let you know how its working.

"Faster! Faster! Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 08CC14; 08-07-2007 at 06:04 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

You guys seem to have more choice on bluetooth over in the states. In the UK we are limited to the types available for bikes. However Scala I do recognise.

What are your thoughts on the quality of MP3 music played through bluetooth headsets.

BMW have the System V helmet with a bluetooth mod which I have heard they have taken off the market due to the poor quality of the music/MP3 sounds. Nokia were supposed to be developing a new type of bluetoth which would cope with MP3 files a lot better.

Chris

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:40 AM

Nolan Communication System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08CC14 View Post
I gave up on J&M Audio and had CycleBarn install the Nolan Bluetooth Headset into my Nolan N102 helmet today
since they gave 15% off all my accessories for purchasing the C-14 today.
I learnt “N102” this spring.
However, it is not sold in Japan now.

Flip-up /NOLAN: http://www.nolan.it/catalogo.jsp?iditem=57&lng=en

I am expecting “SHOEI” to manufacture such a helmet.

Multitec /North America //English//: http://www.shoei-helmets.com/
Multitec /Europe //English//: http://www.shoei-europe.com/multitec...country_dir=en
Multitec /Japan //English//: http://www.shoeihelmet.co.jp/helline.../h_mlttop.html

I am looking forward to “HMD” of Kawasaki. 

Cf. “2007 Automotive Engineering Exposition” (#29), “Kawasaki GTR1400 and Cocours14” (p.2)
   “2007 Automotive Engineering Exposition” (#39), “Kawasaki GTR1400 and Cocours14” (p.2)
   “2007 Automotive Engineering Exposition” (#50), “Kawasaki GTR1400 and Cocours14” (p.3)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:48 AM

Okay, here's a brief update on the Nolan N-102 n-Com helmet.

The manual supplied with the Basic and Bluetooth Kits is missing some updated information which I found on Nolan's web page. Their website describes bluetooth connection for an assortment of "other audio devices" including my Garmin 2820 GPS.

First, you have to ensure you have the most recent software version downloaded into your device. In my case, I already had ver 4.10 installed. Second, you must hold down the "On" button on the headset for about 12 seconds until the headset enters "search mode". These modes are not defined or labeled anywhere but that is what I'm calling them based on my experience and what I found to be their "function". There are 4 modes, each 4 seconds apart: On; Search for other Nolan helmet (slow beep and flash); Search for other bluetooth device (fast beep and flash); and Off.

As it turns out, the manual supplied with the kits only led be to the first search mode and then told me to use a cord for "other audio devices" which really ticked me off. So, after confirming I had the right software and placing the headset in the correct search mode, I was successful in linking my GPS to the helmet and even placed a call on my cell phone via the GPS. Yeah!

By the way - J&M Audio is still in development on their version of Bluetooth headset which is being designed specifically for the Nolan n-com helmets.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 06:44 PM

Hmmm,,, so here's another note of interest on the Garmin 2820 GPS. Apparently, due to some obscure legality, you cannot receive XM Radio over a Bluetooth connection from the GPS, you have to have a cord plugged directly into the unit. I guess this keeps hackers from connecting a bluetooth enabled computer to the GPS and downloading the transmitted stream. Damn record companies are at it again. Grrrr We're back to using a cord again. I wrote J&M Audio an email this morning and will report if their unit will be the same or somehow different as soon as I hear from them.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 AM

I Ride: GTR 1400 / ST1100

Scala Rider

As mentioned before , i use the Scala rider fron cardo systems , it connects to my nokia bluetooth phone and to my Zumo garmin GPS , i can hear the voice commands from the GPS , and when the Phone rings it takes over till the end of call . They even have one with FM radio , same thing , when phone rings , the radio mutes till call ends . There is a new team set available that works as a intercom as well , and have been told that it also works bike to bike within close range . Check it out at : www.cardowireless.com
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM

Okay,,, last update on the Nolan N-102 n-Com Helmet and Bluetooth Headset. With the newest software update (7-11-07) installed, the Nolan headset links with my Garmin 2820 just fine. My cell phone links to the GPS just fine and I can place or receive calls via the touch screen. Nav voice and MP3 player in the GPS cut out during calls. Everything works as advertised. However, Garmin has purposefully designed the GPS's XM Radio transmission signal to be via audio cord only and will not be received in the helment headset via Bluetooth for legality reasons.

I might need to reconsider the whole XM Radio thing and go with good old fashioned FM. :) Scala Rider would be a good choice.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Just got a reply from InterPhone on their bluetooth headset.
I asked if they were planning to upgrade their hemet system to stereo headsets
Reply Reads

There are no plans for this, for the following reasons:
1. We believe that there is a real 'road safety issue' with having both ears occupied with ear-pieces
2. It would reduce battery life (by about 20-25%)

Better throw away my earplugs then.....and it is a shame that the set will only work for 5 hours talking and 525hours on standby on one charge!!!!

Seems a bloody lame excuse to me for not making it stereo like every other headset intercom on the market..

Chris

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Finally bought a set of the Interphone bluetooth headsets. But sent them back for a refund as they don't do everything I want to achieve. Bluetooth Technology beiong what it is, I presume, as well as I have linked them to the Garmin Zumo and there is another problem due to Garmin software/Firmware.
The headset works well as only a Rider - Pillion intercom. Only problem is battery life which if you left the units on would only last about 2 hours before a recharge was required. Better to switch the units to standby after you finish talking then battery life would be about 6hours. It was a bit of a pain having to switch the unit on, and call your pillion or vice versa, before you could talk. 8 - 10 seconds of fairly fiddly button pushing and listening to varying sequences of 'beeps'. The pillion could call the rider as well like this but by then you had already passed the hidden patrol car
They work well as a Bike - Bike intercom over quite large distances up to 3/4 milebut battery life suffers even more using this function.
The are great for rider-gps-phone. Battery life is much better used this way. as they are quite economical paired with the gps. 7 hours or better.
However forget using them for gps-phone AND pillion which is what most want to do.
You have to switch between gps and pillion and back if you want to talk to the pillion. you can't have both functions. the unit disconnects one or the other and it is a real pain especially when driving to re pair the gps to the headset. The pillion cannot hear the gps directions or the mp3 through the gps (zumo) or the phone. if you are listening to gps guidance etc teh pillion has to tap you on the shoulder to request a conversation. You have to call them, which disconnects the gps pairing. then after you have finished talking to your pillion you will need to disconnect from them and re-pair back to your gps...PHEW .
Both units sent back for a full refund even though they were previously fully installed on two helmets. So that was a plus in their favour..unconditional no quibble guarantee.
I have now got the Autocom Pro system which works brilliantly. I even get full stereo mp3 via the garmin zumo. an most importantly so does my pillion.
I really wanted to go WIRE FREE but that is not possible with today's technology??

Greg (08CC14) Does the Nolan N-Com system offer all the above or not.
How do you cope with intercom etc with your pillion as well as music and gps etc.?

Chris

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:31 AM

I Ride: Kawasaki 1400GTR Diablo Black

I used bluetooth via a Caberg Justissimo helmet which can be fitted with a bluetooth unit. I found music handling poor. I too have a Garmin Zumo 550 which I now connect to a Starcom digital comms system and have fitted a wired headset in to my Caberg lid. Music handling is now much improved compared to the bluetooth system. I achieve bike ti bike via a Kenwood radio.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Hi Chris, I haven't tried using the Nolan setup with a pillion sync'd yet. My wife just found the helment she wants and I foolishly didn't buy it at the Seattle Motorcycle Show two weeks ago. Now I'll have to wait until its stocked somewhere. I also haven't tried bike to bike as not too many people have Nolans. For me however, everything sync's, works well with the exception of lack of dynamic range while listening to MP3s and XM radio does not broadcast via bluetooth. I have not had any problems linking or getting disconnected from my GPS. I tried one stereo bluetooth dongle but my helmet would not sync with it. I'm going to try Sony's version next. From what I've read, my wife should be able to listen to whatever I'm listening to and talk to me as well. She can also plug into the back of my helmet for intercom only and then listen to her own MP3 player. Other than that, my helmet battery lasts about 2 weeks of commute - 25 minutes each way, 5 days/week. 200-250 minutes? I'm happy with it.

Wife's new helmet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page