Solo or Group? How many? - ZX Forums
View Poll Results: How many on your regular rides?
1 - I like to do it all by myself 3 17.65%
2-3 - Nothing wrong with adding some company 10 58.82%
4-6 - Let's make things interesting 4 23.53%
7+ - The more the merrier! 1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Presidenté of Whoring

I Ride: 2002 ZX9R

Garage
Solo or Group? How many?

I did a quick search, only found a thread about MCs. Found a thread about wearing leathers on the street, and plenty on bike nights. Ok, I'm drifting...

You guys like riding solo or group better? Solo is self explanatory, so I'll elaborate on the group part. Do you have a set group of friends? Do you meetup with new groups from meetup.com? More importantly, what I'm looking for, is how many in the group would you prefer to ride with? 2-3 others? 4-6 others? 7+?

I've actually went on one ride with a guy I met from meetup. He was quite a bit more skilled than I (no surprise ). He said he had been to a few of their regular, every weekend rides, and when he showed up and saw a bunch of older men in full leathers, he knew he was in for it He was actually a pretty sensible guy, and I guess in that respect I got lucky. He didn't try to leave me, and we had some nice conversation at the end of the ride.

Recently, my g/f's cousin got an 01 zx7r (so glad the gxxsr deal fell through). I just figured he was a squid from the shit talking and wanting a gxxsr. I've been on a ride with him and his mom (as the whore thread got a glimpse of). Today, his mom backed out while him and I hit my favorite hometown twisty. He kept plenty of distance, never tried to fly by on the straights, and all-around rode respectively. I was pleasantly surprised. The ride with all 3 of us didn't leave me too confident. Not sure how I like his mom's riding techniques.

Discuss.

BONUS
I remember a ride a couple of years ago when my old boss got his 636 (I think) and let me go scoop up his soon to be sold 250 on a ride of ~7 bikes IIRC. We met up with a bunch of dudes on some pretty flashy bikes. We take off down some twisty roads and stop at the bottom about halfway through the good part to regroup. The flashy bikes weren't too happy with the road choice. One of the guys actually said, "Man, I didn't know you guys were going to RIDE. I thought we were going to cruise around town. I'm not tryin' to end up on Spike TV." So we split up in a fast group and a slow group. I knew I could ride better than the slow (flashy) group, but hadn't ridden in a while. Took the 2nd spot in the slow group. By the time I got a spot to pass, the fast group (6s, 7s, and 1ks) was about a mile ahead. When we got to the end, I had that little 250 up to the tail of the fast group. Made me proud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

A lot depends upon circumstances, but rides of more than about 6 bikes are a pain in the ass unless everyone knows the destination(s) and no effort is made to keep the entire group together.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 AM

I Ride: 2013 ZX14R, 2017 Z650

Garage
I'm up for all. I've led large groups, gone on my own, small groups. Doesn't phase me any.

Sir Jersey Shore Guido Lippin, Unnatural Gassin, 6R Snow Blowin Whore Of ZXF
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 AM
sénior BBQ Master

I Ride: the wife sometimes for no reason

It can be a pain to keep 6 bikes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
It's like riding on a leaf blower
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
OK boys n girls. Time to grow up.
Afterall, this is a sophisticated motorcycle forum,
No more jokes, silliness, or boobs.
Got it?
"Sir Cactus Growin', Litre Totin', Beer Sluggin', Post Whore of the ZXF"
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 AM
VP Whoring

I Ride: to your mom's house

Usually it will be 2-3 of us, then when bike nights start up it will get higher. Sometimes it will be 6-10 of us... Of course were not out really riding on those nights. We just cruise up and have a quick beer.

Vice President of Whoring

-- Sir Smelly Crotch Rocketin, Pinky Breakin, No Bathin Ninja Whore Of ZXF --

I pull more tail than a retarded kid at a petting zoo
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 AM

I Ride: 05 636

I said 2 or 3, but it is kinda 50/50. I either ride with one or 2 other buddies or I ride alone.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Forum Leaders

I Ride: 2008 ZX-10R

I've done all of the above and I like 2 or 3 people that I've ridden with before and I know their skill. I hate having to worry about other riders while I'm trying to pay attention to riding myself.

It's always fun to go out and enjoy the toys with some other friends it makes it a bit more exciting. But too many can become chaotic.

From my experience, usually the more people you add to the group the less real riding you actually do and it becomes more of just a cruising around session. Nothing wrong with that its still somewhat cool to be involved in but I'd rather be out riding my sport bike in a sport fashion.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM

I Ride: zx6r -monster edition

i said 2-3 because that is all i can normally muster for a ride. all my riding friends have families, work or other things tying them up. but im sure as the weather clears they will be out. I suppose i could ride with one of the local clubs, butthey are normally doing things i'd perfer to not partake in on city streets...aka stunting, racing and what not.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM

I Ride: ZX-14

2 or 3 skilled riders at the most for me. The last time I rode with a large group taught me a lesson, don't ride with large groups!

Whore God
Captain lunatic Knee Draggin, Lesbo Dunkin Post Whore of ZXF

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino

I Ride: 08 zx14, 96 cbr 900rr

Garage
I think 4-6 is a good group number . Too much more than that and its a pain. I don't mind riding by myself either , it just depends.

Sir 14 Thrashin, Sometimes Peg Scrapin, Electrocutin Greasmonkey Whore of ZXF
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 10:12 AM

I Ride: Sportbikes

I voted 2-3.

Ripping through the canyons in close proximity I did with only 1 guy ever until he perished a couple years ago snowmobiling. Knowing his moves on the street and track was like gold. He new my ride style and I new his. I've boogied in larger groups that were invite only but it just wasn't the same. The riding styles were more sporadic than smooth.

As far as touring, once again 2-3 people. Keep things intimate.

www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Stoner #27
Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:27 AM

I Ride: ZX-14

Hell I don't even like riding side by side with most people! A lot of people just can't keep it straight!

Whore God
Captain lunatic Knee Draggin, Lesbo Dunkin Post Whore of ZXF

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 AM
VP Whoring

I Ride: to your mom's house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman14 View Post
Hell I don't even like riding side by side with most people! A lot of people just can't keep it straight!
That's a guy I ride with, the red Honda in my videos. He will just randomly switch sides of the lane, or swinging the bike side to side without noticing his surroundings. I've had him brake real hard in front of me randomly.

Vice President of Whoring

-- Sir Smelly Crotch Rocketin, Pinky Breakin, No Bathin Ninja Whore Of ZXF --

I pull more tail than a retarded kid at a petting zoo
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM
#1 BMW Traitor

I Ride: 2014 BMW HP4 Competition; formerly '12 ZX10R '05 ZX6R 636, '02 ZX9R, '96 ZX9R, '92 ZX7, '91 600R and '90 EX500

Garage
selected 2-3 as thats most commonly available. I do quite a bit of riding by myself but have ridden in bigger groups as well. My most enjoyable rides usually involve another guy that is slightly more skilled and he typically sets the pace through the high speed twisties allowing me to chase his pace. Not only have those been the most fun but have also helped me improve my technique and confidence

Sir ZX10 Flashin, No Boobin, Evil Linkin, Mile High, Good Guy Whore of ZXF
JUNE 2013 ROTM
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicNinja85 View Post
That's a guy I ride with, the red Honda in my videos. He will just randomly switch sides of the lane, or swinging the bike side to side without noticing his surroundings. I've had him brake real hard in front of me randomly.
Sounds like he needs a swift kick in the nuts. Lol.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 PM

I Ride: 2013 ZX14R, 2017 Z650

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownz28 View Post
Sounds like he needs a swift kick in the nuts. Lol.

Agreed

Sir Jersey Shore Guido Lippin, Unnatural Gassin, 6R Snow Blowin Whore Of ZXF
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicNinja85 View Post
The first time he did that to me would be the last. One of my friends brought his nephew (1000RR Honda) on one of our little weekenders. He was a good kid (actually a cop in Tennessee) but didn't have much riding experience. He kept up ok on the straights but would lose ground in the turns. No way I would have let him in front of me for long, because you never know what a noob might do. He got a pretty good lesson that day and knows he has a bit to learn, so he'll be alright.

Back in the day, one guy in our regular group always did the kind of crap described in MN's post. We always tried to get him drunk because he would let his girlfriend pilot and she was a better rider than he was.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Presidenté of Whoring

I Ride: 2002 ZX9R

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Back in the day, one guy in our regular group always did the kind of crap described in MN's post. We always tried to get him drunk because he would let his girlfriend pilot and she was a better rider than he was.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
EZ Rider

I Ride: 2014 ZX14R

Garage
I don't have any friends so I would have to vote,
1 - I like to do it all by myself

December 2011 ROTM winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by massa222000 View Post
YOU'RE F - KING AWESOME!!!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Banned

I Ride: 99 ZX9R

I've rode in great big groups of 15+ before. But it was more like 2 or 3 smaller groups just riding all at once. The more experenced pack, the moderate pack and the newb/slower pack. We always knew where we was goin, waited for everyone at all stop sign/lights. And when someone was leaving, we made sure at least 2 people knew so no one thought someone went down. Haven't had a bad experience yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page