Paint Scheme - ZX Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FranksWorkshop

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Question Paint Scheme

Hello, I am trying find out ,if anyone knows of a paint scheme template for the H1 89, Im trying to accomplish a near factory restoration, have to find engine main bearings first, because I am starting with the engine, a big shout out to "NINJANUT" helllllllllp,!, lol, once the engine is done I want to complete the paint scheme, then remove it wrap it up and complete the bike before it gets cold. So I was thinking of maybe a template for the lime green ,blue, and white, paint job. Ive got the Lime green color from the forum,[thank you], I am looking for the blue 36e formula ,and the pearl alpine white formula, but the most important part of this is , to get the lines rite in the rite spot and the rite width, when I bought the bike it was spray canned flat black," how could they do this" to such a jem? These lines would have to be done on a bike that has the full factory paint on it. Im just wondering If anyone has any Ideas ,other than that ,or if a template or dimensions are available. I dont have anyone near me with an 89 H1 that has factory paint on it, or Id be all over it,LOL, In any event I thank any and all who would consider helping bring this bike back from the dead. LOL ,I will post pics as soon as possible, thank all for your consideration---Frank
j.bird4 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:01 AM

You put the bodywork on the motorcycle and painstakingly match your tape lines to the factory ones from whatever pictures you can find. There is no magic or science to this, it is just time and second-guessing until you get it as close as you can. The tank of the H bikes is especially hard to get correct.

If you look at pictures of restorations on these bikes it is hard to find one that you cannot point out errors in the paint scheme from the stocker if you look really closely. Thankfully no one does and you will end up the only one that knows.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_calgary View Post
You put the bodywork on the motorcycle and painstakingly match your tape lines to the factory ones from whatever pictures you can find. There is no magic or science to this, it is just time and second-guessing until you get it as close as you can. The tank of the H bikes is especially hard to get correct.

If you look at pictures of restorations on these bikes it is hard to find one that you cannot point out errors in the paint scheme from the stocker if you look really closely. Thankfully no one does and you will end up the only one that knows.
Thank you for the response ,I would think eyeballing would get close ,that's understandable , aside of that a accurate width of the stripes would be very helpful, it would at least keep me in the general vicinity of , accurate? Any one willing to share that width information if available would be greatly appreciated ,from what it seems most of those body line stripes are equidistant , hope I spelled that rite, lol ,except for the tank deviations . Of course this would be from a factory paint job that has been preserved or still in tact, I hope this isn't too much to ask for , I am just trying to do the best I could for this little monster . Again any and all comments are very much appreciated, your views are well respected--Frank
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:38 PM

I Ride: 1996 ZX7R, 1996 ZX7RR (track)

Not that it will help you with paint but the decal package from RDDECALS provides the white stripes so it would be one less colour.
I used one of their decal kits for a black H1 I am restoring and they are very good in my opinion.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjanut View Post
Not that it will help you with paint but the decal package from RDDECALS provides the white stripes so it would be one less colour.
I used one of their decal kits for a black H1 I am restoring and they are very good in my opinion.
Howsit going, Thank You for the response , that kit for the white stripes, is that for tank included or is this just fairings ,and are they clearable? I cant figure out why some folks are calling the white on the bike, PEARL ALPINE WHITE, and the blue stripes are supposed to be a blue36e which color-rite claims they done have knowledge of ,anyway I was under the impression that the only decals are the Kawasaki ones and the ninja insignia and the zx7, I seriously thought the bike was painted that way because of the pearl alpine white information I received. Thanks for the source ninjanut, IM familiar with RD I was gonna use them on a different project ,almost did until I found originals from Italy, now that IM on the thread with you ,If we could produce engine bearings soon ,you"ll be my hero ,!!!! LOL, IM not really ready yet ,I will be IN a couple of three weeks, the 89 -90 H1-2 seems like those bearings were just made for those years, Ive got a friend that builds pro stock suzukis ,he says the bearings that are obsolete they find ones that are available on the net ,and then mill the crank to that clearance, only thing is its expensive for one then if you ride it everyday for six -seven years ,you have to keep using same numbered crank bearings on the journals that get shaved , and then the cycle continues , I was thinking of finding a full set of available bearings from a newer zx7 that have same design in fitment ,then have the whole crank polished down or shaved depending on clearances ,then you would have the engine and bike indefinitely, still its an expensive contingency. So that's why I hope to God you have a source and can save my sanity, LOL , Tell me what you think and how can I contact you directly on the forum using a new thead or post, im really new to all this ,but Im so at peace being involved with it. Again thank you, and you are appreciated, Im gonna learn how to post pics properly and do it asap, Thank You--Frank
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 AM

If you look it up on their site you can see exactly what they sell. The tank needs to be painted as the only decal for the tank is “Ninja / Kawasaki”. All the other stripes are included by the look of it.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:22 AM

RD Decals makes good stuff. I have used at least 25 of their kits. All decals can be clear coated. From factory I believe only the tank decals on the 7's had clear over them. None of the tri-color paint on the tank is a decal. You will need to match paint color. The best way to have the bike look like only 3 colors is to buy the decals then have the paint matched to the decals for color. The white is a 2 stage paint. When we say white we are talking about the off-white pearl color on the motorcycle.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_calgary View Post
RD Decals makes good stuff. I have used at least 25 of their kits. All decals can be clear coated. From factory I believe only the tank decals on the 7's had clear over them. None of the tri-color paint on the tank is a decal. You will need to match paint color. The best way to have the bike look like only 3 colors is to buy the decals then have the paint matched to the decals for color. The white is a 2 stage paint. When we say white we are talking about the off-white pearl color on the motorcycle.
Thank You, I know of RD Decals I was gonna use them for a previous ongoing project, but I found originals in Italy, so I ran with that, and matching the paint to the decals is the rite way, I will check out their site , because actually what Ive been trying to do is determine what is paint and what is not. The last time Ive seen an 89 H1 in person was in 1989,I almost bought it ,brand new at Maywood Kawasaki, I ended up with a kz 1000 78, for 500.00,that needed work, I could kick myself for that . In any event ,thank you for your response and help it is very much appreciated, --Frank
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you look it up on their site you can see exactly what they sell. The tank needs to be painted as the only decal for the tank is “Ninja / Kawasaki”. All the other stripes are included by the look of it.
Thank You for the response, and input ,I am talking with some good people about a source, they have just bought out ,a dealer that has much NOS, only thing is no-one knows whats there yet until they break it down and sift through it , they said I should call them in a couple of weeks and give them a chance to organize and list, so we see ,it could be promising. Ill give you a shout if its a go. Thank You--Frank
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:23 AM

If it is GP Kawasaki, they do not have the blue bearings. Only one of the brown.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If it is GP Kawasaki, they do not have the blue bearings. Only one of the brown.
Mr. ninjanut ,how art thou, I pulled the crank and bearings on the 89 zx7 H1 about 25 minutes ago ,it seems that lite is getting dimmer ,at the end of this trail, all my crank shells are are blue, I just cant believe it, no id on the crank ,cant find the damn symbols on the cases ,gotta wash them . but the shells are definitely all blue ones, is this possible ? I am so Pissed and disappointed, Im pulling out the factory manual, but I already know what it says , devastated .------FranksWorkshop
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
She is an 89 zx7 H1 I don't know if you've seen the other quote that was directed to you, Iam still learning navigation of this site, I pulled crank out, couldnt find any id on the crank ,and someone drew a big O at the back of the cases, don't know exactly where to find the ID mark ,couldnt see anything stamped ,just the big yellow O at back of motor ,all my main crank shells are blue, devastated ,totally ,all blue what you think ninjanut, start getting the micrometer out ,measure the case bores , main journals ,and then bearing thicknesses , I don't think t this point plastigauge is gonna help since the bearings are worn and ALL FREAKING BLUE .LOL ,This hurts
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:30 PM

The crankcase markings are at the front of the upper case on a ledge in the centre. If nothing stamped, that is “none” by the manual. Attached are photos of my one motor and the manual pic.
Also, I am still looking for the bearings but got a little sidetracked. Will PM you if/when I locate them. If you have no marking on the crank or cases, it is blue bearings unless the crank is worn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F67CA8BF-EFAB-4E3B-8CB3-BE3A8F0EA7A9_1564176570621.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	931.0 KB
ID:	10428   Click image for larger version

Name:	1CC761CE-C81E-40E4-BE33-8ECEF0629AB8_1564176584029.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	729.0 KB
ID:	10430  

Last edited by ninjanut; 07-26-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Case Markings

Hello NN, I get what your saying and I do have the factory manual ,but heres the thing , I only see one marking on the front of top case,and its an" O" on rite side of top case,-and the crank only has one marking on 1st counter weight, it has the no.1 stamped and opposite sideof counter weight has a B or an 8, So according to the book there should be 5 stampings , I don't know if the indications Im looking for will be one marking or 5 ,one for each journal on crank and case, or 5. If I can figure out how to send pics Ill show you what I mean ,because the existing marks coincide with book but there is only one on crank, and one on top case , this is the other dilemma ,ill be back on forum this evening , thank you for the input NN as always you help is appreciated .----FranksWorkshop
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:24 AM

There will be 5 marks (or no mark) on the crank and 5 marks (or no mark) on the case.
If you have only one mark on the case, it will indicate that one journal has different bearings than the other four with no mark.
If you have only one crank journal with a mark, it will indicate that only that one has a different bearing than the ones with no mark.
This seems odd as I have only seen the variations noted in the manual. Is it possible that someone wrecked a crank journal and had it repaired and this one has a different bearing. All the H engines I have seen (I have 4 right now) have had either no marks or #1 on them but all 5 the same.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Hello NN, Today Iam starting to disassemble my other spare motor, so far there is only one mark on the cases, and its in the same location as the other cases both zx 750fe which are 89s ,the mark is a 'O' at the rite side of top case, haven't gotten to the crank yet ,to see what it says ill, probably know a couple of hours from know Sorry it took so long to respond Ive been a little busy at home, phone is smashed ,and the usual to do lists ,Ill message as soon as I find out the crank Id , I hope this gets better LOL., Thank You for responding ,as always your help and comments are appreciated.---Frank
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:30 PM

The bearings in there are all blue and none of them are any good? Was the motor that neglected? Mine are complete tear downs but the bearings are okay. Ideally I would just replace them but if I cannot locate new ones, I will reassemble with existing.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Well I wanted to try to get as close as a factory restoration as possible, that was the goal, the bearings that exist in both motors are ruff, I can get about 6 or7 92028-1445s [blue], but cant find the 92028-1442[blue],other half, at this point my only option to get to as close a factory rebuild is ,measure all my case bores, compare them with the manual, then take crank journal measurements, then check black and brown shells measurements [different bearings],I think the brown and black bearing shells are thinner of than the blue ones , gotta measure em, ,if all else fails ,icould get a different crank or different engine block so it will accommodate black or brown bearings ,last resort build up crank and re-cut to brwn or black bearing specs, frustrated, ,ill keep you posted, I think even FALICON wont touch the crank if more than2 journals have to be welded and cut ,because after ,welding and cutting ,sometimes the crank will crack after they attempt to re -true them,due to distortion from the welding process.,we see what happens .
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:46 PM

I tore down one of my motors, checked parts visually and then measured all the journals. Everything was within spec so I will be rebuilding using the existing bearings. Not perfect situation but I am very confident after tearing it down and checking everything out that it will be a durable build.
I am ideal world we would replace everything but in reality we can recondition a motor and make it reliable without replacing every part. JMHO.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Just tore down a 1990 H2 motor (blue bearings) and plastiguage shows they are well within spec. Have to replace bolts and nuts, unlike the H1 motors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page