ECU Flashing - ZX Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By PhukDD
  • 1 Post By PhukDD
  • 1 Post By TheBadOne

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

ECU Flashing

So Iím getting a slip on and k&n air filter this weekend installed in my 2019 ZX6r. I already have a FTECU tuner on it running the unrestricted tune. Question is how do I tune it for the new exhaust and filter? I donít think it will be 100% necessary to have a tune but I think it will run a little lean and I want to smooth it all out. Do any of you know of a map I can just download and install or do I have to sit there and play with it and basically make my own map? Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:16 AM

I Ride: ZX7R

Garage
Hello j.bird4

The best option it to get a wideband lambda and make some measurements during WOT pull and some mid range throttle in and out actions. Basing on those AFR result, it should not be a tricky thing to adjust your map. I would strongly recommend not to use "ready tuned map" - in most cases they're quite crappy.

BR

Kuba

I may make You feel... but I can't make You think!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

ECU Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadOne View Post
Hello j.bird4

The best option it to get a wideband lambda and make some measurements during WOT pull and some mid range throttle in and out actions. Basing on those AFR result, it should not be a tricky thing to adjust your map. I would strongly recommend not to use "ready tuned map" - in most cases they're quite crappy.

BR

Kuba

I have never hear of a wideband lamda. Iíll have to google that one. But that you for the info.

Ok I just googled it. I see itís a gauge. So does it go in place of the O2 sensor? Do I ride with it on? Again Iíll have to google how to use it but your seem knowledgeable. Thanks again.

Last edited by j.bird4; 06-15-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:58 AM
sťnior BBQ Master

I Ride: the wife sometimes for no reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.bird4 View Post
I have never hear of a wideband lamda. Iíll have to google that one. But that you for the info.

Ok I just googled it. I see itís a gauge. So does it go in place of the O2 sensor? Do I ride with it on? Again Iíll have to google how to use it but your seem knowledgeable. Thanks again.

In my case the wide band is bigger than the stock O2 sensor so I had a bung put on the mid pipe. I installed the Woolich system with the log box to disable the stock o2 and process the AFR results for the bike.
j.bird4 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57x View Post
It's like riding on a leaf blower
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
OK boys n girls. Time to grow up.
Afterall, this is a sophisticated motorcycle forum,
No more jokes, silliness, or boobs.
Got it?
"Sir Cactus Growin', Litre Totin', Beer Sluggin', Post Whore of the ZXF"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhukDD View Post
In my case the wide band is bigger than the stock O2 sensor so I had a bung put on the mid pipe. I installed the Woolich system with the log box to disable the stock o2 and process the AFR results for the bike.

Oh I see. I can disable my o2 sensor also and I can just replace it with the one from the kit. Sounds easy. Do you have your gauge where you can see it while riding or can I tune without riding?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:01 PM
sťnior BBQ Master

Quote:
Oh I see. I can disable my o2 sensor also and I can just replace it with the one from the kit. Sounds easy. Do you have your gauge where you can see it while riding or can I tune without riding?

yes and no. Either log the data while riding or dyno tune and process the data in real time. Either way the Woolich software analytics tell you what you need to do and then you reflash the ecu...takes a few minutes.
j.bird4 likes this.

Quote:
Quote:
Got it?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 AM

Garage
Quote:

Hello j.bird4

I would suggest to use some simple wideband lambda like for ex LC-2 from Innovate Motorsports (I'm using old LM-01 still and even nowadays it's quite accurate and usefull). For a simple tune like adjusting air fuel ratio after basic mods like exhaust, intake filter, you don't even have to use a datalogger, running few full throttle pulls on 3rd or 4th gear would be engough. Just remeber at which RPMs bike runs lean or rich - really it's not a rocket science. A rule of thumb is to run 12,5:1 - 12,8:1 at WOT.
If you got option to disable your stock sensor in a bike for tuning, that's huge advantage - in this case you can put wideband in place of stock sensor. I'm pretty sure they will have the same thread - general standard it M18x1,5 with 22mm hex for a wrench.
More advanced level is to properly tune acceleration enrichment, but I don't expect that exhaust and intake will make a significant impact for acc enrichment. But it's worth to check it. I've saw engines tuned perfectly on full throttle, but havig really poor throttle response due to lean ares at throttle fast opening.
Once you will get a lambda and you will run few tests you will see that's pretty easy and fun to make some adjustmenst on your calibration.
Today I will take a look on FT ECU software, hopefully it will start without hardware, just to check what options are available in this software. But keep in mind that you're a lucky one using FT ECU (real calibration change) not a PowerCommander (which is a piggiback tool, trying just to fool your ECU instead of proper reflash).

BR

Kuba
j.bird4 likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

ECU Flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadOne View Post
Hello j.bird4

I would suggest to use some simple wideband lambda like for ex LC-2 from Innovate Motorsports (I'm using old LM-01 still and even nowadays it's quite accurate and usefull). For a simple tune like adjusting air fuel ratio after basic mods like exhaust, intake filter, you don't even have to use a datalogger, running few full throttle pulls on 3rd or 4th gear would be engough. Just remeber at which RPMs bike runs lean or rich - really it's not a rocket science. A rule of thumb is to run 12,5:1 - 12,8:1 at WOT.

If you got option to disable your stock sensor in a bike for tuning, that's huge advantage - in this case you can put wideband in place of stock sensor. I'm pretty sure they will have the same thread - general standard it M18x1,5 with 22mm hex for a wrench.

More advanced level is to properly tune acceleration enrichment, but I don't expect that exhaust and intake will make a significant impact for acc enrichment. But it's worth to check it. I've saw engines tuned perfectly on full throttle, but havig really poor throttle response due to lean ares at throttle fast opening.

Once you will get a lambda and you will run few tests you will see that's pretty easy and fun to make some adjustmenst on your calibration.

Today I will take a look on FT ECU software, hopefully it will start without hardware, just to check what options are available in this software. But keep in mind that you're a lucky one using FT ECU (real calibration change) not a PowerCommander (which is a piggiback tool, trying just to fool your ECU instead of proper reflash).

BR

Kuba

Kuba
Thanks for all the info. I new from the start that I didnít want a Power Commander. I no itís a great product but like you said I didnít just want to fool the ECU.
Anyways I think Iíll try to get a wideband and see what it can do. The only part Iím a little confused on is this is what is looks like when I pull it up.

I see the RPM range but what the numbers on the top?
Tell me if this is wrong but when I make adjustments I find out where the AFR is off at a certain RPM range I just add more fuel to that RPM range. Little each time.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

I forgot when you talk about Woolich what product are you referring to? I was just thinking of getting something like this.
I didnít see anything like that on woolich website. Tell me again if this is the wrong product. Sorry to keep asking so many questions. I know tuning can be as simple or as hard as you make it. Iím just trying to learn the basics.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:42 AM
sťnior BBQ Master

That would work too. log-box-mitsubishi-zeitronix-zt-3-wideband-package.you plug in a laptop to read the data.

Quote:
Quote:
Got it?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Kuba
Thanks for all the info. I new from the start that I didnít want a Power Commander. I no itís a great product but like you said I didnít just want to fool the ECU.
Anyways I think Iíll try to get a wideband and see what it can do. The only part Iím a little confused on is this is what is looks like when I pull it up.

I see the RPM range but what the numbers on the top?
Tell me if this is wrong but when I make adjustments I find out where the AFR is off at a certain RPM range I just add more fuel to that RPM range. Little each time.

Hello j.bird4

The number on the top are showing enigne load. As you can see on opened ignition map, on Y-axis you got RPM values, on X-axis ther is a load as a TPS (throttle position sensor) value.
Keep in mind that Fuel Maps are often calibrated as RPM vs MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) and RPM vs TPS (throttle position sensor)
If you can open the Fuel Maps and make a screenshto, I will be able to explain you more about it.

BR

Kuba

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM

Hi. They run extra rich anyway to compensate for when people add filters and exhaust and so they dont go pop when you try push that little motor to 300kph. Unless a full race motor has been built only really the timing needs to be adjusted as the ecu reads a/f ratios and adjust accordingly within its range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page