EU approves new technology to limit top speed - ZX Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hammerhead

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

EU approves new technology to limit top speed

Saw this on the Internet news. The EU has approved new technology to limit the top speed of cars. Could motorcycles be next? If implemented, this could mean the end of sport bikes. At least in Europe.
The current top speed limits of 186mph(300 kph) were put in as a result of some very provacative ads by Suzuki showing their hayabusa nearing 200 mph. Instead of new laws, the Japanese manuf. agreed to voluntary limit motorcycles top speed. However this new technology would be a serious blow to sport bike riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 PM

I Ride: 2003 ZX7R-Green..

Seems to me that if the limit is made via a mechanical method. It might keep it under control. For a while.
If done via electronics, the brains of the tech world will have solutions for a price.

Makes our stuff more valuable if they did limits.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

2003 ZX7R - Green, named Katie
1998 ZX7R - Endurance body, named Frenchie
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:00 AM

I Ride: 'o5 Widowmaker

They're already arresting citizens for jokes, and they just broke the internet. It should come as no surprise that the authoritarian busybodies in the EU are moving on to speed controls. I'm amazed they haven't forced everyone onto public transportation already.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:59 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

I hate to break this news flash but not all sportbikes are about pushing 200mph. In Europe, there are tons of small-displacement sportbikes that don't even flirt with triple digits, much less 186+

Sportbike sales are already in the toilet worldwide and manufacturers are scrambling to create new classes and displacements of bikes to keep people coming into the showrooms. Nobody has to kill sportbikes with speed laws, they're dying on their own. Or slowing down.
keepitgreen and Necron9d9 like this.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:41 AM

I Ride: '96 Gpz1100, Ď11 Voyager, 07 ZX14

Garage
speed limits?

all those EURO scooters revving at the red lights, like angry bees.

the ZX14 has enough HP for moi. just gotta do one top speed run. somewhere
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:32 PM

I Ride: 1990 ZX-7 H2, 1992 ZX-7R K2, 1992 ZX-7/9, 2002 Ducati 900ie Supersport, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
I hate to break this news flash but not all sportbikes are about pushing 200mph. In Europe, there are tons of small-displacement sportbikes that don't even flirt with triple digits, much less 186+

Sportbike sales are already in the toilet worldwide and manufacturers are scrambling to create new classes and displacements of bikes to keep people coming into the showrooms. Nobody has to kill sportbikes with speed laws, they're dying on their own. Or slowing down.

Sad, sad, sad, but all totally true.

OEM's have gotten themselves into a hell of a pickle with the performance wars and the complexity, outrageousness, and the costs (purchase, insurance, repairs) associated with that. Most people are terrified of what a new bike can do- 600's even let alone the Thou+ models. We love it as we also just happen to be freaks, but there's not as many of us left or coming in to replace those that moved on to cruisers or touring bikes or whatev.

They're trying to get new sportbike guys in with smaller cc's that are worth riding and a resurgence of the 750 ballpark sizes. Makes me miss the '90's 400s and why the hell the big 4(ok- 3) ever stopped making 750s baffles me. Very few can use/want/need more than 150 hp - so why not build an 800 or so under 150hp with far less required gizmos. Cheaper, more accessible, more analog, plus gives THE MAN less to worry about and motivation to screw with us too.

On the plus side though, in the US the riding population nationally has actually grown to an all time high from sales of used bikes to new owners, so there's hope and a silver lining to that... OEM's need to closer match what people want and need on the cost/performance continuum. I love what they've achieved personally, but "WE" aren't the only target audience that needs to be pleased. Some interesting quick reads for those inclined:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...old-ownership/ and:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...floor-you.aspx
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
They're already arresting citizens for jokes, and they just broke the internet. It should come as no surprise that the authoritarian busybodies in the EU are moving on to speed controls. I'm amazed they haven't forced everyone onto public transportation already.
This all about exercising control over citizens, nothing to do with safety, nothing to do with sport bikes or fast cars. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 20 years or less the EU does force everyone, except themselves of course, into public transportation. I often wonder when the people will say enough and get rid of these tyrants.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
I often wonder when the people will say enough and get rid of these tyrants.
Roughly 243 years ago. (i.e. more than enough time to forget)

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:10 PM
PoS

Garage
To be exact, the technology in question is Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA), already in use in many crs on the market. The purpose is to let the driver know when they're exceeding the current speed limit. Obviously it's a step towards cars that will not exceed the speed limit, but as for the coming regulation, speeding is still possible.

The technology will not be implemented to motorcycles at this time. According to the European Riders' Federation (FEMA), the commission is aware of the problems regarding to motorcycle control when it comes to ISA-style systems and they're working actively to ensure that if/when they're implemented to bikes as well, the system will not disrupt riding and cause dangerous situations.

A pun walked into a bar and killed ten persons.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoS View Post
the commission is aware of the problems regarding to motorcycle control when it comes to ISA-style systems and they're working actively to ensure that if/when they're implemented to bikes as well, the system will not disrupt riding and cause dangerous situations.
So they think. Whatever the problem, liberty is the answer. Period.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoS View Post
To be exact, the technology in question is Intelligent Speed Assistant (ISA), already in use in many crs on the market. The purpose is to let the driver know when they're exceeding the current speed limit. Obviously it's a step towards cars that will not exceed the speed limit, but as for the coming regulation, speeding is still possible.

The technology will not be implemented to motorcycles at this time. According to the European Riders' Federation (FEMA), the commission is aware of the problems regarding to motorcycle control when it comes to ISA-style systems and they're working actively to ensure that if/when they're implemented to bikes as well, the system will not disrupt riding and cause dangerous situations.
So much ado about nothing, tongues set a-clicking.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page