Am I nuts for wanting to drop $400-$2500 on my zx11 in repairs? - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
//z

I Ride: 91' ZX11

Garage
Am I nuts for wanting to drop $400-$2500 on my zx11 in repairs?

I absolutely love my zx11 but it's going to need some major work. All the issues keep piling up on it. The engine will have to be dropped to repair the shifter forks and possible 2nd gear. I just let it sit for 2 weeks and now the damn thing won't even start. It also developed an oil leak. Everyone I asked said I'm insane for putting this kind of a money in a 90s bike. I miss riding it every day. I literally just picked up an r1 before it stopped running. I love the R1 but I think I like the zx better. My zx11 is highly modified so it's bound to run not as great. I tried looking for other zx11c's which were also modified like mine but I only came across one but he wanted 5 grand for it while I only paid $2500 for mine. I've been contemplating doing the work myself but then again, I've never doing something this extreme and I don't want to mess around with transmissions and have the thing lock up on me. My heart says yes but my brain says no because that money could go towards anther bike in the garage haha. I don't ever plan on getting rid of it. The shop I'm taking to is where it was modified. I figured that if they built it, they can repair it. It's a decent drive away but it'll be worth it. They're booked up for a month so I have time to make a decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 AM

I Ride: 2014 ZX-14r, 1984 Honda Sabre v65

Opinions are just that, so since you're asking...

Before I bought my 14r, I bought an '84 Honda Sabre v65 off CL for $800. Thing was a POS. but I knew I could bring her back to life since this was one of the bikes I grew up riding. I've probably dropped about $2500 into the bike and it still needs a good $500 on various items. But it's close to road condition.

In my case, I knew I wanted a bike to restore to either keep or sell to someone that would enjoy the fruits of my labor. Cool thing is now I have the 14r to just hop on and ride in a moments notice while the Sabre is still my side project.

Important thing to note is that I'm mentally OK with the Sabre sitting on the side collecting dust until I get it finished. But I'm also very happy to have a bike to ride that doesn't need a lot of attention.

So in the end, it's up to you amigo in how you want to proceed :-)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:09 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

To become a millionaire restoring motorcycles, start with two million.

If you have $2500 in it and drop another $2500 bringing it up to top shape, it will be worth as least as much as the one the guy wants $5K for. Look around and see what $5K will buy and I think you;ll be repairing your 11.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
//z

I Ride: 91' ZX11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungles View Post
Opinions are just that, so since you're asking...

Before I bought my 14r, I bought an '84 Honda Sabre v65 off CL for $800. Thing was a POS. but I knew I could bring her back to life since this was one of the bikes I grew up riding. I've probably dropped about $2500 into the bike and it still needs a good $500 on various items. But it's close to road condition.

In my case, I knew I wanted a bike to restore to either keep or sell to someone that would enjoy the fruits of my labor. Cool thing is now I have the 14r to just hop on and ride in a moments notice while the Sabre is still my side project.

Important thing to note is that I'm mentally OK with the Sabre sitting on the side collecting dust until I get it finished. But I'm also very happy to have a bike to ride that doesn't need a lot of attention.

So in the end, it's up to you amigo in how you want to proceed :-)
Did your Sabre have eletrical issues or cam issues? I have a 1985 V65 Sabre. Mine was also out of the game for awhile since I had eletrical issues with mine lol. I had to buy a secondary sabre for 200 dollars which was low slided just for parts.

Yea I still have other bikes to ride besides my zx11 so it's not an urgent issue. I DID just buy a brand new bike in January and I bought a 98 r1 3 weeks ago. I think it's time to stop buying stuff and fix what I already have. The zx11 does look pretty though just sitting there lol.

I don't have $2500 just sitting around so I think I have to cut a few project cars loose. I like cars, but I'd rather have a nice bike then cool cars lol. Plus if I had $2500 sitting around, I'd probably just buy anther bike haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
To become a millionaire restoring motorcycles, start with two million.

If you have $2500 in it and drop another $2500 bringing it up to top shape, it will be worth as least as much as the one the guy wants $5K for. Look around and see what $5K will buy and I think you;ll be repairing your 11.
haha yea all those bike's got a lot of money dumped into them in that price bracket. If I'm going this far, I wonder if I should just strap on a Mr.Turbo kit..... I don't think 130rwhp will do it for me anymore The ZX11 my most favorite out there. I like supersports but I think I like bigger bikes like this and the zx14 since I don't put my knee down in every single corner.

I guess this is what I get for having a strong interest for 90s bikes.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:17 AM

I Ride: 2014 ZX-14r, 1984 Honda Sabre v65

The Sabre had electrical issues but this turned out to be the fuse box which I got off eBay for like $45. Previous owner had a switch wired right into the battery for the headlight and that was an easy fix.

Engine bogged a lot but I tore apart the carbs and rebuilt them with bigger jets since I got the MAC 4-1 exhaust. I also had to remove the nest in the air cleaner. And literally there was a rat/mouse nest in the air cleaner. What a mess. Re-adjusted the cams, changed all the cables, gaskets, brakes, replaced the front head which was fun and just recently did the fork seals.

She needs the forks back on and some paint but running like a champ now :-)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 03:32 PM

I Ride: ZX14-R: Former bikes --> 2001 929RR, '04, '06 & '08 1000RR and '08 GSXR 1000

If ya got it why not. Go for it !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
August 2014, April 2015 & August 2017
Ride of the Month Winner
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:20 PM

I Ride: 2015 ZX10R 1990ZX11

Garage
I replaced the ignition system on my zx11 with a Dynatek because Kaw discontinued the parts. I had to rebuilt the alternator because a new one is huge $$$, then the regulator died. The wiring on the bike is sketchy at best. When I threw the drive chain off (no fault of the bike), I had enough. I rode this bike for 25 years, with 111,000 km. It will cost $2500 to rebuild engine, update brakes (these bikes never did stop well), upgrade suspension and wiring would add more cost. I just paid for a new 2015 zx10r today so now zx11 will just go into a glass box cause it's worth nothing (lots to me). Kaw said they will give me a better deal on zx10r WITHOUT a trade in...lol
I'm looking forward to some reliability. I'll miss my old 11, I had it for a huge part of my life and I'm not keen on abandoning it. Maybe turn it into a drag racing bike?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:33 PM

I Ride: 96 zx11

do u or anyone u know have any parts for a 96 zx11?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Most likely to get banned

I Ride: lookin for a new one

Do it... you wont know how much it means to you until you put the effort into it... I miss my Zx11-D and wouldnt mind getting another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post
I blame Squidge too.

That guy is a dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
Big Russ is right
Sir Heavy Duty, Modern Day Warrior Whore of ZXF
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:02 PM

I Ride: 96 zx11

What is the issue with the transmission?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:08 PM

I Ride: 93 ZX-11, 82 CB900F, 79 XS650*SOLD*

The ZX11 is an awesome bike and very unique IMHO. Still get compliments to this day, and I paid $4000 for mine 7 years ago.

73,000 miles on her and she still is going strong..... to me she is worth every dime I have spent on her.....

“Don’t try to understand women. Women understand women and they hate each other.”

- Al Bundy - Hero to all Men
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 PM

Have 87,000 plus on my 96 and still love it. 15 Triumph Street Triple RX and 03 ST4S sitting in garage.

Paul

96 ZX-11 Dark Green
76 KZ900LTD B1
03 Ducati ST4s
15 Triumph Street Triple RX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page