clutch slave cylinder - ZX Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Slorg442

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

clutch slave cylinder

i have zx7r i have a problem with the clutch slave cylinder i cant remove it for it is solid any suggestions ? it has been standing for 10 years and the clutch hydraulic oil has all gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Lots of penetrating oil and careful undoing of the mounting bolts then try wiggling the slave body.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 07:53 PM

I Ride: 1996, 2000 ZX7R

Having the same problem with a new 1996 resto I picked up. Never had any problems with any of the other ZX7R's slave cylinder's I have worked on.
Seems it had a leak, and someone decided to epoxy or glue the body to the mount. No external corrosion.
Tried Deep Creep, Marvel pen oil, WD-40 pen fluid. No go. And if I break out the torch, it will melt the surrounding paint and require refinishing.
If you figure out another method let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1996_SlaveCylinder.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	887.1 KB
ID:	11122  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:15 PM

I Ride: 1990 ZX-7 H2, 1992 ZX-7R K2, 1992 ZX-7/9, 2002 Ducati 900ie Supersport, etc...

You may want to try to use an electric heat gun too after the penetrator has gone to work on it for a day or 3.

Not as harsh as a torch and you will obviously have to clean the hell out of the slave and rebuild it once you have it popped off.

@Slorg442 above, man you've got issues. That seems more like angry girlfriend kind of stuff to me than it does "mechanic" work... Epoxy is very thermally stable and the kind of heat you're going to need will just as easily cut out the cases.

You may be down to an air chisel and a burnt offering to your Diety of choice because you're going to need all the help you can get on this one. Probably looking at having to have the surface lightly machined to get all the residual crap and any damages off so you have a clean and true leak free mounting point.

Best of luck all- I REALLY HATE that kind of crap when it happens.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 PM

I Ride: 1996, 2000 ZX7R

Problem solved. Finally after 5+ different applications and 2+ weeks of letting it soak in, finally got it to break free.
Soft hammer, worked both sides (alot, a hell of alot) back and forth and got it to rotate in the socket.
After that it was just keep going until I could spin it off. What a mess. Trashed inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1996_SlaveCylinder2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	834.2 KB
ID:	11138   Click image for larger version

Name:	1996_SlaveCylinder3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	523.4 KB
ID:	11140  
taildragger1197 and Strider like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page