Gen 1 Engine pull and other stuff - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I Ride: Ebony Black 2004 ZX-10R

Garage
Question Gen 1 Engine pull and other stuff

I'm currently pulling my bike apart for paint and various other upgrades, ill list my goals and progress at the end of this post.

I'm considering pulling my whole engine so that i can detail it (im OCD as hell about dirt and oil) since the previous owner didnt take very good care of it. I've done motor pulls on cars and trucks but never on a bike, which is why i'm seeking more knowledgeable guidance first. Are there any things to look out for or anything that I need to be EXTREMELY careful with, other than the obvious? Or any special tools that i'll need? If everything goes well, i may just go ahead and take the entire thing apart so i can detail it from the ground up, swing arm, frame, etc.

Also as far as paint goes, the frame and swing arm and stuff are an odd texture, is there any approach that i should take specifically? Scotch brite and stuff like that.. or is it rough enough to paint it as is and not worry about flaking? I'm not making a show bike, but i'd like to give it a face lift ya know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:54 AM

Garage
Get the manuals. Use the manuals. Get a good torque wrench. I personally would use something more durable than paint for the frame and swingarm (powdercoat). If you are going to dig in so deep use it as an opportunity to do your valve check, fix any common problems (leaking valve cover gasket, etc.) check your high speed generator, new plugs, new air filter, etc. Make sure you route your wiring and cables correctly, again use the manual and take your time and do it right. There are a couple junction boxes in the loom that are going to be covered in tape. I would recommend cutting the tape away and inspecting them to see if they show signs of degradation, then button them up and re-tape them...should be left side near sub-frame. I would be curious to hear from others as well...My .02

2004 ZX-10R
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So far i know im going to need a new valve cover gasket, the right hand side lip is torn on mine. Not really sure how you do that but okay. Im guessing that's why my cover is so oily. My biggest problem right now is the plate that sits on top of the throttle body but under the air box. I'm 99% sure that the housing for the nut is stripped because no matter what way I turn it, it doesnt back out or get tighter. Don't really want to chance grinding the head off because of common sense but im not sure what to do. I've already ordered a new plate for it, the problem is getting it out lol.

The center bolt there is my problem child.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Garage
With such a large head to work with you can't twist loose while applying upward force ala vicegrip? I would clamp on that head and literally twist and pull it out.

2004 ZX-10R
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 PM

Garage
You might want to pop out the ram-air tubes or fold them in on themselves and tuck them into the frame to get them out of the way which will give you beneficial movement of the box to help get the hardware out. They are pliable and should not be too hard to maneuver.

Also...how long have you had this bike? How many miles on her? It is currently lowered and was extended..with a shifter and a 530 chain? Looks like it was a drag bike previously? Why does it have so much paint missing on the frame in this pic? Looks like the airbox has been in and out a bunch to me...and I believe the valve cover gasket leak usually tends to be on the other side of the motor...which makes me think that your head has been opened up a bit.

I would make sure you do not have cracks on that frame anywhere. Unfortunately this was/is an issue with these bikes.

2004 ZX-10R
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 PM

Garage
No heal guard either ehh?

2004 ZX-10R
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 PM

Garage
Another potential issue with these motors are the retainers can eat themselves (crack/break apart)...if you get in the head I would check that as well.

2004 ZX-10R
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It was extended at one time, but it took it off, I HATE extensions. Honestly im not sure about all the missing paint, even the upper triple is like that. I've owned it for a little over a year now, no mechanical issues other than the norm. The shifter however is because I only have one foot and it's my right foot lol. As far as mileage, the odometer says 22k, but with the history of the bike and discovering all these things as i go, im just going to go ahead and assume that its a cluster from a different Gen 1. I have another cluster from a 3rd Gen with 4k miles on it and no damage that im going to put on at some point in time.

As of now this is my plan

-powder coat frame, swingarm, sub frame, wheels and ALL of the gold covers
- Paint Fairings
- scrub the engine
- valve cover gasket
- valve adjustment
- Cluster swap
- Smog plates
- rerouting the wiring harness
- FI bypass
- brakes
- braided brake lines
- convert back to 525 at stock length
- Try to find a cheap PC3 or IV
- Rear set swap
- possibly more

What timezone are you in? Seems like you'd be a good troubleshooting buddy lol.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicHugs View Post
It was extended at one time, but it took it off, I HATE extensions. Honestly im not sure about all the missing paint, even the upper triple is like that. I've owned it for a little over a year now, no mechanical issues other than the norm. The shifter however is because I only have one foot and it's my right foot lol. As far as mileage, the odometer says 22k, but with the history of the bike and discovering all these things as i go, im just going to go ahead and assume that its a cluster from a different Gen 1. I have another cluster from a 3rd Gen with 4k miles on it and no damage that im going to put on at some point in time.

As of now this is my plan

-powder coat frame, swingarm, sub frame, wheels and ALL of the gold covers
- Paint Fairings
- scrub the engine
- valve cover gasket
- valve adjustment
- Cluster swap
- Smog plates
- rerouting the wiring harness
- FI bypass
- brakes
- braided brake lines
- convert back to 525 at stock length
- Try to find a cheap PC3 or IV
- Rear set swap
- possibly more

What timezone are you in? Seems like you'd be a good troubleshooting buddy lol.
Central Time here

Did you say that you did have the manual? Just in case here is a link for a free download:

http://motoservicemanual.com/kawasak...nual-download/

What are you going to run to warrant a PC3 /PCV? Looks like you took off a slip-on? Are you planning on running a full system or?

Some brake info:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/brakes-fixed-60215.html

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/cbr1...als-64016.html

2004 ZX-10R
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Same here, I'm in Tennessee.

I have a PDF of it on my tablet. No point in working on anything without one lol.

I'm going to go with a Voodoo Slip on unless I can get a full system without breaking the bank.

So I got the bolt out...hahah

I ended up having to basically rip my airbox off of the throttle body. Thankfully nothing but the plate that was the problem in the first place broke and i've already ordered a new one.

Here's some pics of tonight's progress.

I had to spin the box sideways inside the frame to get enough leverage.

Here's that piece of shit.

Oops.

Here's the biggest thing that concerns me. They're so damn dirty.

And Lastly, i guess the guy before me took out the middle piece of the hose and did this shit instead of buying block plates.
I think the plug that comes off the coils part of the harness plugs into the piece that's missing because there's a plug there that's taped off.
It's the rectangular piece hidden in the electrical tape.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 03:19 AM

I Ride: 2003 ZX9 Silver

Garage
Could have a factory Pro jet kit, the way it looks with the smog lines is the way the FP kit tells you to block them off to install the jet kit. Says this is a must! Just a thought.

fahza fahza can you heeeaar me!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:59 AM

Garage
Give this a watch and tell me what you think:

I had a similar question when I saw that on mine as well. You can clearly tell which (white) plug goes to the now missing, "air switch valve"

Edit: I especially like the music LOL

2004 ZX-10R

Last edited by Analog Animal; 03-15-2017 at 12:07 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:04 PM

Garage
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 PM

Garage
aww man I have a sudden urge to go out to my garage and stare at my bike lol

2004 ZX-10R
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahzazxr View Post
Could have a factory Pro jet kit, the way it looks with the smog lines is the way the FP kit tells you to block them off to install the jet kit. Says this is a must! Just a thought.

How would i go about seeing if there is one? im not too well versed there.

Also thanks for the references.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page