1-3th gear rocket, 4-6th sloth - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX900e

Garage
Exclamation zx9: 1-3th gear rocket, 4-6th sloth

Hi people,

EDIT: 1st off sorry for the long post

I'm new here (as well as my 1st kawasaki) and Thanks for any help in advance! I do appreciate.

Background
I have a Kawasaki ZX900ce 2000 model, with 42000km on the clocks which i acquired very cheaply. The reason for the cheap price is that it requires alot of TLC, and i mean ALOT (but i dont mind, as its my hobby).

My problem
I took ownership, and on the maiden voyage I already discovered why it was so cheap. I started it very easily without choke and let it warm up for a good bit before I took off gently in 1st. I took it gently up to 8k+ rpm before shifting to 2nd and gave it a good knackering up to 3rd at 160km/h (mind blowing) EDIT: "at about 11k rpm". Alas, the split second I hit 4th, it lost all power, and i mean everything. I dropped to like 80km EDIT:"and roughly 4k rpm" before the engine responded, but even still, any slightest movement in the throttle and it would still (what i could only assume) flood/starve fuel EDIT: "and stagger back to 80km/h".

I downshifted back to 3rd, it splurted for a bit, and then it would take off again to 160km/h easy before dying again in 4th and same goes for 5th and 6th. I tried fiddling with the choke, as well as opening the fuel cap to check for any vacuums but proved useless either way.

SO i cruised home in 3rd reasonably comfortably, except for it seemed to miss a few fires as the rpm needle couldnt stay level and i could feel it as well.

What i have done so far.
1. Full service - new plugs, new oil and oil filter.
2. Used carb cleaner on the carburetors as they were a bit dusty from standing a while.
3. Cleared a blockage (cleared it with a gentle blow - nothing major it seems) which seemed to have prevented carburetor #2's vacuum plate from opening.
4. I checked the fuel tank after running the bike on the road to see if it created any vacuum, and it did a tiny bit on a few runs.
5. Double checked fuses - all 100%

Things yet to do:
1. Check all fuel lines for blockages
2. Redo timings on the "cams"
3. Check if all 4 sparkplugs fire.
4. Replace any gaskets.
5. Take it to a repair shop (to fix whatever, and for them to check ECU)

Please help, i know this bike can still be restored to life. I'll answer any questions as needed.

Stay awesome
Rudolf

Last edited by Rudolf Jacobs; 07-11-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:16 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Did you pull and clean the petcock?

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Hammerhead

Yeah, i checked and cleaned that earlier today still no luck. And with that, i noticed that there was a fuel overflow line which has been closed with a plug and it had some fuel in it which i drained. I took it out again without the plug just in case, but ran exactly the same.

Could it be that the K-tric unit is malfunctioning?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got my hands on the service manual and went through the entire troubleshooting area for "no power at high speeds" without any luck.

I just can't understand why the bike runs like hell up to 3rd, and regardless of at what rpm you shift, 4th up just chokes...

Back to the drawing board.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So i fixed the kawa, what a test drive :D :D :D (i chickened out when i looked down and saw 240km/h with very worn out tires O.o but what a machine!!)

The problem was a secondary air intake (which connects to the primary air intake) that opens an additional fuel jet into the carbs. It wasn't connected by the previous owner and explains why i lost all power as the carbs don't get enough fuel.

Now all i need is my new Michelins and some minor servicing still remaining on the brakes and shocks (still deciding if the carbs needs tuning though), before restoring the fairings - then it's happy riding.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:51 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Glad you figured it out. Not being familiar with that particular machine, I would never have guessed, but it sounded like a fuel delivery issue.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, it took some head scratching. But cooler heads prevailed.

At least while we were searching our butts off, we managed to thoroughly service, fix a couple of things and i got to learn the bike's tricks and styles. It was odd before we saw the missing air pipe, we did a dyno run with the carbs open, and it was running perfectly up to like 280 i think was the top speed, thats when we shifted focus from electronics and mechanics, to only air as that was the only variable remaining. The detailed service manual also made the narrowed search much quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page