Launching your bike - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

I Ride: 07 SE ZX10-R

Launching your bike

So in an attempt to liven up the new sections, I've decided to add a thread. I've launched tons of cars at the track and got pretty damn good at it...now my skills go to waste. Launching a bike seems to be a whole new ballgame. So for those of you who drag, preferably stock wheelbase, how do you do it? Seems to me that I have 3 options.

1.) Let out on the clutch too quickly or lack the proper throttle needed. Resulting in tediously slow bogging launch.

2.) Let out on the clutch too quickly and give too much throttle. Resulting at a painfull glance to the sky.

3.) Let out on the clutch too slowly and roast my $1k+ slipper clutch. Resulting in even more debt and depression due to down time in my bike.

So lets here your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 AM

I Ride: 06 zx14

what size bike?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.c.rider View Post
what size bike?
Im on a zx-10, but I'm trying to leave this generalized for all bikes

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM

I Ride: 99 zx6r

I haven't done much track time but the best way i find to get my bike moving quickly is:
gently squeeze the front brake just enough to stop the bike rolling forwards
build up the revs to peak torque (for me thats about 9-10k)
let the clutch out so its just riding and the bike is trying to ride forwards a bit
when your ready let go of front brake and let the clutch out quick but dont just let go of it.
If you do get boggin from lettin clutch out too quick, cos your at peak torque it wont be as bad but obviously not what you want.

Then gas it.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM

I Ride: 08' ZX6R

now don't take this question off base it will vary on what you answer.....

how do you launch your car? and is it fwd or rwd

do you pump the gas?
do you get to the sweet spot in the rpm's and hold it there?

for me on the bike, best way i can say i've learned to do it is get the rpm's up around 9k ish and get the clutch to the point where it starts to grab pretty good, go about half throttle till the clutch is fully engaged and then open it up. i've only had one time that my fingers slipped on the clutch and i saw what color the sky was, initial reaction was 'oh shit' close the throttle and i slammed down on the tank, racked myself pretty good, looked retarded and had to basically get laughed at while still 'tried' to get down the track as fast as i could.

Performance:
Two Brothers Carbon Exhaust
Driven -1,+2 Sprocket Kit
MJSPerformance Header
Healtech Speado Healer
Sprint Steering Damper
Smog Block Off Plates
Healtech Xtre
Jumper Mod
PCIII

Appearance:
Polished Lip Wheels w/ Red Center Spokes
Integrated Smoked Tail Light
ZXR Mirror Block Off Plates
Billet Alluminum Foot Pegs
Brake Reservoir Relocated
Cockpit Molded Windshield
Moto GP Style Shifting
Rear Pegs Removed
Decals Removed
Mirrors Removed
10000K HID Kit
STM Spools
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlkaos View Post
now don't take this question off base it will vary on what you answer.....

how do you launch your car? and is it fwd or rwd

do you pump the gas?
do you get to the sweet spot in the rpm's and hold it there?

for me on the bike, best way i can say i've learned to do it is get the rpm's up around 9k ish and get the clutch to the point where it starts to grab pretty good, go about half throttle till the clutch is fully engaged and then open it up. i've only had one time that my fingers slipped on the clutch and i saw what color the sky was, initial reaction was 'oh shit' close the throttle and i slammed down on the tank, racked myself pretty good, looked retarded and had to basically get laughed at while still 'tried' to get down the track as fast as i could.

Hard to ride a quarter mile on black and blue babies, let alone not drop to the ground in the fetal position As far as the car question, I always feathered the clutch (unless I was on slicks at the time) at the rpm that I knew the tires could take. I've raced a slew of cars. Turbo 240's, built srt's, trans ams, evo's, 350z's, etc etc. I think launching a bike is most similar to launching the evo, without the chance of busting your ass and your bike. Too low, you bog and look retarded. Too much feathering, you fry the clutch. Do it just perfect, one step closer to having a shot transfer case I've pulled 1.8 60' footers on a 450hp fwd car on 225 street tires. Most of my hard launches were with a two-step on my turbo cars though

Last edited by killersrt; 11-04-2008 at 04:59 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 AM

I Ride: 08 ZX14 Silver

I'm no expert at the track but I've been schooled by the best in the industry and what I've been told to do is pointer finger on the clutch and roll it out when clutch is completely disengaged then full throttle gas it's just shifting after that at the "right" RPMs right meaning at the best point for ur particular bike but seat time and practice will determine that. Drag on guys!

Muzzys M-14 megaphone exhaust, lowering links, adjustable stand, 6 blade aluminum fan, fender eliminator, BMC race filter, Dyno jet power comander, -1 front +2 rear Vortex sprockets, EK 530 gold chain, Galfer stainless brake lines, Roaring Toys swingarm extensions, Chrome wheels wraped on Corsa 3's

Rest In Peace To My Fallen Warriors Gone But Never Forgotten. One Love, Heavens Newest Angels.
Andres "Andy" Camacho III 6/9/06
Jason Santos 6/15/08
Daniel Benvenutti 7/15/08
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:10 PM

I Ride: 08 ZX10R

i have grew up around drag racing and have a zx10r myself my best advice to you is to hold the clutch however u fell comfordable some people use thier whole hand and some use one two or some times three myself once u get find out what fingers on your hand give u best control start sliding the clutch u didnt really have to change your clutch the zx10 already has a great slipper clutch from the showroom start at atleast 4,000 rpms since u are a begginner on the bike and i just cram the throttle from the line and let my clutch hand do the work at stock wheelbase i have been a 1.67 60'' leaving at about 5,000 rpms but your clutches should last pretty long
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM

I leave at 6k RPM. First two fingers on the clutch. The other two holding the grip. With pratice, you should be out on the clutch and full throttle before the 60 foot mark. I've pulled 1.46 60 ft time using my method.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 AM

I Ride: 1993 zx7r

launch a 4,000 and soon as the last amber comes on start leeting out the cluth and roll on to the throtle you should be wide open throtle a split seconed after your cluth is completly out or alittle bit before 60 ft!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino

I Ride: 08 zx14, 96 cbr 900rr

Garage
I just hold the rpm constant on the line(in the case of my stock wheel base zx14 about 4k rpm) and let the clutch out quickly till I get the clutch handle about half way out. this gets the front tire a couple of inches off the ground, then when I'm comfortable that I'm not going to loop I let the clutch out the rest of the way slowly while giving it the gas slowly. I've used the same tecnique on my 900rr and every other bike I've run. the smaller the bike the faster I get on the gas and let out the clutch (after the initial wheel pop that is). The real key here is to get the feel for that initial clutch dump practice till you get the front wheel a few inches off the ground, this provides the maximum weight transfer so you can really get on the gas afterwards. I hope that made sense.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 06:32 AM

I Ride: 2009 ZX-6R

Does anyone hold the brake like someone suggested?
-Cody

Always assume car drivers are blind, drunk or blind drunk and are liable to pull the biggest numbskull ****ups imaginable right in your path.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino

I Ride: 08 zx14, 96 cbr 900rr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
-Cody
I don't use the front brake while launching but that doesn't make it wrong , its just my personal preference. Launching a bike well takes practice and some trial and error. If you have one, practice on a dirt bike thst way if you loop it you just buy a back fender. Of course on a dirt bike you usually launch in second gear and there is a lot more slip in the dirt so it gives you more time to let off the gas.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
-Cody
Holding the brake is just one more thing to think about when launching. I don't use it. You'll be able to keep the bike stationary in the beams without it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 PM

I Ride: 2011 ZX14, 99 ZX9, 06 Busa, 06 Boulevard

I stage at 6,000 then pin the throttle as soon as I leave. Clutch hand does the rest of the work. Pull low 1.4X 60ft. times using that method on a 64" bike (ZX14).
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 AM

I Ride: 1998 ZX9R & 2007 ZX10R

Garage
I slip that clutch like theres no tomorrow ..... then full throttle asap

Sir Throttle Twistin, Roo racin, Outbackin Post Whore of ZXF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseld13
I can't believe pastacio nuts are legal. Phuckers are highly addictive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzxter
Soooooooo, until someone comes up with a better solution,......... crop dusting with birth control
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:35 PM
IDD

I Ride: 2004 ZX10R

You guys using Kevlar clutches or mostly stock?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 01:53 PM

Anybody running a stretched swing arm? I'm using a 8-12" evil swing arm set at 10" stretch. Would your launching technique be the same?

2009 ZX 10R Special Edition, PC V, 8-12" Evil Swing Arm @ 10", shortened kickstand, Akrapovic exhaust, K&N filter, SpeedoHealer, reverse shift, nitrous and air shift.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 01:49 PM

I Ride: 2005 ZX-10R, 2012 ZX-14R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxokie View Post
Anybody running a stretched swing arm? I'm using a 8-12" evil swing arm set at 10" stretch. Would your launching technique be the same?
Bikes are different, especially big bikes compared to liter bikes. What are you geared? How much do you weigh? The money spot for rpm's on a stock clutch for 10's is between 8000-9000rpms. between 8000-8500 is where your peak torque is.

"Live to die happy" Matt Hoffman

My Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4S...yMffEH7y8vq02g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page