89 zx1000 "Custom Build" - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

89 zx1000 "Custom Build"

Hello all, as I am new to these forums I have done other builds from bikes to cars. However I was going to buy a new bike, the zx10r. But instead I picked up an old 89 zx1000. I know most would say I am crazy but I cant complain I got the bike from my boss for 400 dollars and it has 10k on it. What a steal lol. Even though the bike is not so appealing and it has less of the gadgets then newer bikes Id like a challenge. So I have done a lot of looking and sadly haven't really found much for these bikes its like the never existed almost witch is a shame because its not a bad bike.

The plan is to provide a DIY for many things on this bike. I hope it will benefit people who have the bike but want to give it a face life in areas. First things first I want to "de fat" the bike. By doing so I'm going to remove the bulky parts like the rear sub-frame probably most of the fairings and make new more modern ones out of fiber glass and carbon fiber. Get rid of all the extra non needable parts on the front and turn this thing into a street-fighter with newer gauges and lights. I also would like to get into the rear wheel and I noticed there is talk about the swing arms ex.

So hear is a list so far fell free to add opinions and what you would think might be cool.

Rear: I'm going to replace the old zx1000 sub-frame with either a 98 zx6r sub-frame and fairings and wire the tail lights into the existing harness with adaptable turn signals as well, or go with an even newer sub-frame from an 05 zx6r obviously with the same option in the tail lights to remove the need for bolt on external ones.

Seat: I mocked some things up for this. Both the zx1000 seat on or the zx6r 98 and 05 seat can work with modification. However with that being said the zx1000 flows in front of the tank nicely as it should, as the other two would flow with the tail cowl and leave some sort of gap at the tank. I might have to just make my own custom seat but like I said if anyone has an idea throw it out there.

Swing arm: I did read that a lot of people go with the zx11 swing arm because its basically a bolt in with little to no modification. I'm not sure if it is possible to get a one sided swing arm on this bike or at least one that could allow for a minor 4 inch stretch. I am not big on the stretch part but it would look nice with the one sided swing arm. Anyone can feel free to comment on this subject because I'm not sure what all would really need to be done. As I said not to much info on these bikes.

Front end: I'm definitely changing this up I was thinking of going with the zx11 front end because it would need little to no modification but I do think a street-fighter look would be great to. I also did see that someone said an older model hayabusa front would fit with some custom made brackets.

Engine: Im going with a bore kit from the zx11. Simple and gives it a little extra power.

Exhaust: I do want to relocate the exhaust through the bake under the tail section. I know it will be hard because of the frame and swing arm being in the way. I might go with a shorty exhaust as well.

Thanks for reading ill be posting pictures regularly of my progress with detailed descriptions so everyone can maybe mod their zx1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:24 AM

I Ride: 94 ZX9

Take lots of pics and we look forward to seeing your progress!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:27 PM

Keep us posted!! The '89 ZX10 is an awesome machine, I'm weighing the options with mine on customization vs full resto. Destroyed most of my original fairings after I got rear ended in a hit an run so I'll be keeping an eye on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page