Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

lost keys

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  RonaldJones 
#1 ·
I think my 2 year old son may have gotten hold of the key for my bike. I have looked everywhere.

I have searched this subject and I am getting conflicting answers. So I am asking specifically for the zx7r can I get a key made by the dealer from just my VIN number or do I need to have a locksmith make a key from scratch?:banghead

#2 ·
they should be able to cut you a key as long as your bike has never been rekeyed.

locksmith might still be cheaper though

#4 ·
I bought a ex250 with no key. The dealership way be able to get a key from the vin. But honestly most likely not since kawasaki dosent keep those records for to many years. A decent locksmith is gonna charge you at least 100 bucks. What i did was pull the ignition out and got the key code gave to kawasaki and they cut me a key with the four digit code for like 40 bucks. To pull the ignition is cake walk. Need a small chisel and hammer. Got to cut groves in the safety nuts on the bottum of the ignition and un screw takes some time but worth it.

#6 ·
A new ignition for our bikes isn't very expensive at all, and it comes with a couple spare keys. Your only real problem is the gas cap as you could bypass the ignition with a hidden toggle switch until your little man decides to give up the keys. SSR makes an awesome gas cap for our bikes too off ebay. I would just bypass it until he gives them up. Hope that helps!

#7 ·
turns out the kawi dealer near me cannot make a key from the vin. They told me it would be cheaper to go the locksmith route. They recommended a guy who has had luck with bikes and he quoted me $100 if I bring the bike to him. What a way to spend $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.