2000 ZX9 battery wont charge : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-9R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

2000 ZX9 battery wont charge

I'm new here. Howdy from Texas. Problem: New battery, fully charged, bike starts fine, rides great until I stop after riding for an hour or two. When I try to start it again after resting for a spell(15-30 min) bike won't start. Obviously the charging system is coo-coo. What do I need to do aside from taking my baby to the dealer mechanic and getting raped? Is this problem I can fix myself with moderate mechanical skills or what. Forever 2 Wheels
migjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: '98 ZX9R

Get a Haynes manual. Then go to RadioShack and get a digital multimeter. You can try to fix this yourself :).

It sounds like something's dodgy w/the charging system... from memory (sorry, I don't have my Haynes manual handy), here's what I'd do:

-- get multimeter.
-- take off seats so you have direct access to the battery.
-- CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS to the battery. (Sometimes the obvious is overlooked!) Check your fuses while you're at it.
-- measure the voltage at the battery. It should be @12v-ish.
-- start the bike.
-- measure the voltage at the battery. W/the bike running at idle, it should be @13.5v.
-- run the idle up to 5000rpm and measure again. It should be btwn 13.5v and 15v.

If the voltage is out of range, suspect the voltage regulator. In my experience, alternators don't go out very often, and voltage regulator/rectifiers DO go out. The voltage reg/rect is an easy thing to replace (but we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it!).

Let us know how you get on w/that, and we'll go from there.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: '98 ZX9R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
-- run the idle up to 5000rpm and measure again. It should be btwn 13.5v and 15v.
Actually, according to Haynes, this should be 14.5v, +/- 0.5v, at 4000RPM.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 98,99,00,01,02and03 zx9r

if you havent done anything yet 99% of the time it will be the stator. it is on the left side of the engine. behind a kind of oblong cover.
BSSJZX9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanx much for responding. Believe it or not a mechanic at the local dealership told me the same thing. He even told me how to test it voltages and all. Must have been my lucky day or he must have asked "What would Jesus do?" Iwill try to test the stator this weekend when I see my "baby". I'll let you all know what happens. Later, GATOR
Old 04-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

problem solved

I tested the charging system per Haynes and it was the regulator rectifier. Replaced it and now I tearing it up without fear of a dead bike after a short ride. Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement