2000 ZX9 battery wont charge - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

2000 ZX9 battery wont charge

I'm new here. Howdy from Texas. Problem: New battery, fully charged, bike starts fine, rides great until I stop after riding for an hour or two. When I try to start it again after resting for a spell(15-30 min) bike won't start. Obviously the charging system is coo-coo. What do I need to do aside from taking my baby to the dealer mechanic and getting raped? Is this problem I can fix myself with moderate mechanical skills or what. Forever 2 Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 PM

I Ride: '98 ZX9R

Get a Haynes manual. Then go to RadioShack and get a digital multimeter. You can try to fix this yourself :).

It sounds like something's dodgy w/the charging system... from memory (sorry, I don't have my Haynes manual handy), here's what I'd do:

-- get multimeter.
-- take off seats so you have direct access to the battery.
-- CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS to the battery. (Sometimes the obvious is overlooked!) Check your fuses while you're at it.
-- measure the voltage at the battery. It should be @12v-ish.
-- start the bike.
-- measure the voltage at the battery. W/the bike running at idle, it should be @13.5v.
-- run the idle up to 5000rpm and measure again. It should be btwn 13.5v and 15v.

If the voltage is out of range, suspect the voltage regulator. In my experience, alternators don't go out very often, and voltage regulator/rectifiers DO go out. The voltage reg/rect is an easy thing to replace (but we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it!).

Let us know how you get on w/that, and we'll go from there.

"I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said." - Donald Rumsfeld
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:41 AM

I Ride: '98 ZX9R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
-- run the idle up to 5000rpm and measure again. It should be btwn 13.5v and 15v.
Actually, according to Haynes, this should be 14.5v, +/- 0.5v, at 4000RPM.

"I believe what I said yesterday. I don't know what I said, but I know what I think, and, well, I assume it's what I said." - Donald Rumsfeld
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 PM

I Ride: 98,99,00,01,02and03 zx9r

if you havent done anything yet 99% of the time it will be the stator. it is on the left side of the engine. behind a kind of oblong cover.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanx much for responding. Believe it or not a mechanic at the local dealership told me the same thing. He even told me how to test it voltages and all. Must have been my lucky day or he must have asked "What would Jesus do?" Iwill try to test the stator this weekend when I see my "baby". I'll let you all know what happens. Later, GATOR
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

problem solved

I tested the charging system per Haynes and it was the regulator rectifier. Replaced it and now I tearing it up without fear of a dead bike after a short ride. Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page