1996 ZX9R Flush Mount turn signals : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-9R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

1996 ZX9R Flush Mount turn signals

So I got flush mounth turn signals for the front, the LED ones, really nice looking, now the thing is they dont flash, they stay on, I look to see what the problem was got a few resisters from radio shack and no luck, can any one help me out trying to get it fix now here is a pic of the bike with the flush mount.

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/...flushmount.jpg
zx9rsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 97 zx9r

ahhh my bad man o\ i forgot to tell you it needs resistors... i was told you could use the radio shack ones or get a different flasher, but those methods didnt work for me. heres a link to a set where i got the ones that work for me. theres also a wiring diagram on the page as well... also you need to order 4 of these. 1 for each lamp :)
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by seex9r; 06-19-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: left something out
seex9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 2012 zx10R, 1996 zx9r

Mine are just for looks, haha.
jowek70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 1997 Kawasaki ZX9R B4 Model

Hey zx9rsurf, where did you get those flush mounts at? I've got a 97 ZX9R but have not been able to find ones that fit well because of the little lip around the opening on the fairing. Those look like they fit perfect.
MeanGreenZX9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 96 ZX9R

I got those but didnt go with the LED because I didnt want no problems...glad I did, hope you get it working.

MeanGreen I got mine from ebay there was only 1 type on there for the B series 9 that said it was a perfect fit (you can get regular or LED though.)
96ZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey 96ZX9, any way that you could point me to the seller that you got yours from? Even though I would really like to go with led ones, I don't want to have to mess with resistors or putting in a new flasher unit, so I would like to get normal ones. Do you know id they have dual filament ones so that they will act as running lights as well? Thanx for the help.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: 2006 636

looks nice
Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I Ride: 96 ZX9R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flush...#ht_3851wt_941

Theres the link, hes in canada so it takes a little while for shipping but they fit great, just tell him what color lens and bulb you want. Like i said he sells LED ones also but im with you on the messing with resistors and stuff...not for me lol.
96ZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

you know I like that option as well but the resistors were not hard to install, there is 2 wires thats it, I like the idea of just plug and go but I like the LEDs better.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rsurf View Post
you know I like that option as well but the resistors were not hard to install, there is 2 wires thats it, I like the idea of just plug and go but I like the LEDs better.
so you got them working now
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

yea they work perfect, I just drove from Boston to Maine and back over the weekend, what beast of a bike
Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, its funny how capable these old 9's are for their age....seeing taillights is rare when aboard my 9.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

I did some thinking after riding today, I may sell the bike, I am a little scare of it , today I hit 145 MPH after an R6 was pulling up next to me trying to show off, I find it hard to keep myself control when Im driving the thing its so easy to go fast, any tips for new riders who ride fast bikes.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

I Ride: 1994 zx9r b1

respect the power the bike has because the second you dont and do something stupid she'll turn around and bite you hard. Im lucky im still alive after my accident but I got too cocky with mine and mark my words, ill never make that mistake again.
Mnzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Allright, so I got my flush mounts in the mail and decided to go with leds because they last longer and are brighter. Instead of goin with resistor I decided to install a LED flashed relay since my local shop had them for cheap but now both the left and right side are flashing at the same time. What am I missing? Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZX9R View Post
Alright, so I got my flush mounts in the mail and decided to go with leds because they last longer and are brighter. Instead of goin with resistor I decided to install a LED flashed relay since my local shop had them for cheap but now both the left and right side are flashing at the same time. What am I missing? Any ideas?
That's not wrong, so long as you want everyone to know you're a hazard on two wheels!

When I see a bike with flush mount turn signals I'm always thinking to myself, why disguise from people indicators that try to broadcast your directional intentions? In daylight, I cannot see when they're on and I'm keyed up to notice, being that I'm a motorcyclist! How are cagers suppose to figure it out? Hey, it's your life. Do what you want.
At the track she's outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, stock gearing & ignition. Highest observed speed: 167 MPH @ ~4,800' AMSL.
Science literate. ACA covered.
e1_ZX-9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

i also tried using a relay which didnt work on my 97. it did the same thing i went with resistors as i linked up there ^^ before. good luck
Old 08-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

I can see what you're saying e1 but they're still pretty noticeable so I don't foresee a problem. So here is an update to what is happening. The problem was happening while I had an integrated led tail light hooked up. So I hooked up some regular bulbs flashes in the rear and put the stock flasher relay back in. Now each side flashes independently but they are just a tad slow to light up, kinda like they are fading in and out. I put the aftermarket led relay back in and now everything works fine. I will be returning the integrated tail light. I have a guy on an automotive forum that does custom led lights that I will have do a custom integrated tail light for me, but I have a feeling that once I put that in I will need to use resistor to put some load on the system to get it to work right. Crazy how complicated electrical systems can be.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

I haven't signaled a turn in 2 seasons and have been good.
Its all about the approach.
I never put myself in a situation where a turn signal will control my destiny though.
Good luck, I never even connected mine.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

To each their own and I totally respect the right everyone has to their own opinion but I feel that by not using Sig-also, either electric or hand, you're putting yourself in a bad situation. I don't trust other drivers when I'm in a car, let alone on a bike. You never know what other drivers are intending to do, but signals are an attempt to let others on the road what your intentions are and feel that they are required by law for a reason. I can count the number of times that I see signals being used inappropriately or not used at all. I see them turned on as they are changing lanes or after they've already begin a lane change or turn and and it drives me nuts. Their intended use is to let others on the road know your intentions, therefore I always signal, wait for it to be clear and then execute my lane change or turn. I feel that once you decide to get on the road with others you are obligated to act a certain way because your actions don't only affect you, but others as well. I know I got kinda long winded and I apologize but it is something I feel very strongly about. Respect to everyone and ride safe, so you can continue to enjoy riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement