smog block off plates..pros and cons..??? : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-9R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: zx9r E1(blew up), zx9r F1

smog block off plates..pros and cons..???

Hey everyone I have my zx9r E1..not s california model so I dont even know if getting these would benifit me at all....any help would be great

Controlling a Machine of Pure Violence
JonnyLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX9R

Well I'll let you know on my next ride I just removed all that stuff on mine but I did have the block off plates I just plugged the little hoses n the stock plates. So I hope to see if there is a difference.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

alright what hoses do you plug the one going towards the headlight? its been awhile since I seen my bike in once piece..Im just wondering really if its worth it to order order up the block off plates..and what gain are you supposed to get?? anyone else out there? c'mon I know theres more than just 1 member that has done this mod..

Old 05-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

All stock on both bikes here. No deceleration popping, but instead a good rumbling. Couldn't be happier. Don't have any plans to remove anything.
At the track she's outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, stock gearing & ignition. Highest observed speed: 167 MPH @ ~4,800' AMSL.
Science literate. ACA covered.
e1_ZX-9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

ahh okay so that popping I hear on some bikes is probably from that mod hey..so theres one negative to mod..

Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

The popping is a lean condition on deceleration. It typically surfaces on a new stock bike right after the owner switches out the stock exhaust for a freer flowing aftermarket exhaust. From what I've gathered, the block-off plate or connecting the two exhaust reed valves together is to prevent more air getting into the exhaust and causing the popping sound.

I think the reason my bikes don't pop on deceleration has to do with the muffler and their jet needles having been raised just enough to boost mid-range power and coincidentally eliminate the lean deceleration condition.
At the track she's outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, stock gearing & ignition. Highest observed speed: 167 MPH @ ~4,800' AMSL.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

where the block plates would go on my bike..theres a hose that comes out one and goes right back in to the other one..rainbow shape..?? u think this a cheap *smog block off* mod the previous ownder did?

Old 05-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's the way it's done. I wouldn't get all caught up in whether it's cheap, inexpensive or not. The factory put the plumbing in the way they did, to reduce emissions. Connecting the two together just prevents fresh air from being drawn into the exhaust on deceleration. This is due to the vacuum that's caused with the throttle bodies being completely closed off, allowing for the reeds to open. It should have no affect on HP, but should increase emissions and reduce the weight of the bike by whatever the weight of the equipment was; maybe a pound or two.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

gotcha ok..so if I got the plates id save the weight of the rubber hose... .004 lbs and throw someone 40 bucks after shipping hahah I think I decided on this one

Old 05-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement