fine tuning zx9 00-01 carbs : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-9R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 2001 zx6r

fine tuning zx9 00-01 carbs

Ok so looking to fine tune each carb but i cant find the mix screw? if i have to take off the airbox to tune that wouldnt make sense since it wouldnt be breathing through the filter. also how can i do plug chops easily? cause taking off the tank on the side of the road and such would be a pain. Is there another way to tune through out the different rpm ranges?
borjawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

I don't recommend and do not know of anyone who can 'fine tune' from the side of the road, so all of your questions related to that I'm going to say 'do not apply.'

The procedures for fine tuning any carburetted bike, as far as I'm concerned, are listed in every one of my signatures...links to links to pictures to how-tos to history to results, etc. DO NOT follow my jetting verbatim, rather follow the methodology to find what works for your application and your requirements.
At the track she's outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock. Highest observed speed: 167 MPH @ ~4,800' AMSL.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
e1_ZX-9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

my issue is not how to tune but where to. I dont see a mix screw on the carbs. and its been a while since i put them on lol so i dont remember where they are. On the 98-99 manual it shows where they are but i dont see them.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

never mind i think i found my answer on another post you had http://www.zxforums.com/gallery/show...&size=big&cat=

i was looking at the side of the carb for the mix screw seems its on the bottom. silly me.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Glad you were able to find the crumb trail in the links.
At the track she's outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock. Highest observed speed: 167 MPH @ ~4,800' AMSL.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

ok question. Ive learned when adjusting/tuning mix screw to start with one carb until its set then move on. Basically turn in or out to find highest idle then reset idle to 1000rpm and go to the next carb and so on. then sync the carbs. Ive messed with two of the carbs and see no change on the tach when turning the screw in or out. I have a k and n filter stock exhaust 1.5 turns out.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Setting them individually is more technical than you need to be. I think the gist of the process of determining where idle no longer increases should be performed with all four set evenly, then start the engine and observe RPM.

In retrospect, that was easy to determine in my case because I had the assistance of mountains. As I rode up, idle RPM would drop. When I rode down, it would increase. I tinkered until I found out where the RPM varied the least. At 1 5/8 it was very good, but still increased quite a bit at lower altitudes. 2.0 it was awful, idle speed went up dramatically as I went down in altitude and fuel consumption became unacceptably high. 1 1/4 was too low and caused the engine to starve at high altitude, but was great for low altitude and 1 1/2 made all riding pleasurable with the least amount of variation in idle RPM. It just so happens that the F1 finds 1.5 turns to its liking as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

So you're saying to sync the carbs then do the adjusting i mentioned? I believe I've already sync'd them. Is it possible/easier to adjust each individually with the sync gauges attached?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Keep moving. You've set the idle mixture screws evenly; check. And synced; check. Very good.

Are you riding the bike afterwards and recording how she starts and rides?

Continue on.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

starts up fine. If cold with choke easily, without when cold got give it gas and hold til it warms if i did do it that way. But i let it warm up with choke. Starts up warm without. Ive just done the airbox mod for my SF conversion so gotta get a speedo hooked up to see how its doing. From a stop its a little hesistant but not real bad. its about 90%-95%.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

That's the way a healthy carburetor equipped engine is suppose to start. Neither of my bikes can hold 1,100 RPM idle until they've come up to full operating temperature and have been ridden for a couple of minutes.

As warmer temps come, she'll take less and less choke to start cold. EFI bikes and cars start very differently, having their computer management systems do all the work for the rider.

You're on the right track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement