Ram Air and street fighter : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-9R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 2001 zx6r

Ram Air and street fighter

Ok so looking to make my bike into the sf style but unsure what to do about the ram air. what have you seen/done?

my idea was to make screens for the tubes that go through the frame and for the hose to the carbs to get threaded fittings, screw them into the side of the tubes and connect them into a Y fashion with the hose to the carbs.
borjawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 97 zx9r

on my b ninja the tubes go over the frame, and it looks pretty good with them taken off at the air box... and i know someone who put a screen over the hole at the box.. but i think there may be some drivability issues with those ram air tubes off (the little tubes that stick out of the screen in front that go back to valve cover and the carbs)
Old 03-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

In my opinion (wich is most likely wrong), as long as the two tubes (the one for the gas air ram and the two big air rams for the airbox) have the same amount of pressure i dont think it could be an issue. Alot of older bikes dont even have air ram systems so i'm guessing you could totaly remove it, of course youll loose the extra HP going at 120 km/h... As long as you dont keep one part and remove the other or they arent really unbalanced, you should be good cuz of course you wouldnt want high air pressure going in and not have more gas and visversa.

I've seen a few people drill holes before the air filter and plug the two smaller hoses (going to the carbs) in the air box. that way they still get the air pressure coming from the two front vents...

Let me know what you're going to do, i'm still not sure what ill do with mine.... Someguy from customfighters(Brockzila) just tied the two smaller hoses to the big air ram hoses, i couldnt even tell until he told me thats what he did ...

Last edited by Antoine; 03-22-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 97 zx9r

well eventually ill have mine back to normal but i was riding it around with them off. i did find thes vid on you tube that talks about moding the tubes.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
WS6

I Ride: 98 9R

Since my 98 was wrecked I don't have the fairing and was just planning to build a street fighter. In the process I've come across this site that mention how to get around not having the factory tubes in place. Also read the link on that page for more info.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/.../ventbowl.html

Red 98 ZX9R for sale. I can delivery to an extent.

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/buy-s...tml#post800204
WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

I know you can't just take them off without changing something else to compensate or the motor will fall on its face.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: 2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R

Has anyone tried this with successful results?
Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
WS6

I Ride: 98 9R

some of the guys on http://www.customfighters.com/ have. That's where I found the info.

Red 98 ZX9R for sale. I can delivery to an extent.

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/buy-s...tml#post800204
WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 2001 zx6r

I just got done with the mod. Instead of drilling holes i burned em with a sautering iron. it was a bit difficult to get the stock hose over the small 2'' pieces on the carb inlets but with some wd-40 slipped on well. Same for the 5/8 ID hose over the stock.
Now per his instructions he says he used permatex to hold the screen on. Didnt want to hurt my parts so i used the rubber piece that goes over the outer tube to hold on the mesh. I used the screen mesh for screen windows I found at Home Depot. A huge roll for $8. It is quite stretchy and makes the holes in the mesh bigger if you pull it apart. I just held it over the plastic tube and pushed the rubber piece over that. and its fine. No big holes or stretching. Also I have a K&N air filter and no stock filter to used for the tubes I made so i used the screen over those as well and used those metal band tightener things to hold it on. Took it for a ride a few minutes ago and it works fine. No speedo though so not sure what my rpms or speed are looking like. Personally the 10-15 horse gain he speaks of i havent noticed but still gotta fine tune the carbs to see for sure.
borjawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

depending on the model, there is a way to neutralize part of the ram air by adding a hose connection to the airbo (I need a new keyboard the z c button quit) anyway, we did this to my buddies 9r. Its a very simple addition. His wouldnt run without it. Really screwed the air/fuel ration up. (99) model. He says it lost a bit of power too, but never got around to rejetting yet.
tlstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement