Zx9 carb question : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-9R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 01 zx9 99 zx9

Zx9 carb question

I have a 99 zx9 and a 01 zx9. I was wondering if the 99 carbs could go on the 01 so I can keep riding while I jet out the 01 carbs. Also wondering what size carbs are on both of them? Thanks fello zx9 ers
99 kawasaki zx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Not easily at all, stick with the original ones or you will waste a bunch of time on the other carbs.

No need to do this anyways, jetting your carbs should take an hour on a bad day. Its very simple, what jet kit did you buy? Please tell me you bought Factory pro and you didnt buy dynojet? Just curious but why are you needing the size of the carbs? I will have another 98 zx9r in for a dyno tune here shortly, in which I have to rejet, I could always measure those carbs for ya, but curious why?
719-648-6520
www.Jackelmoto.com
The_Jackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX10 C2 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 kawasaki zx9 View Post
I have a 99 zx9 and a 01 zx9. I was wondering if the 99 carbs could go on the 01 so I can keep riding while I jet out the 01 carbs. Also wondering what size carbs are on both of them? Thanks fello zx9 ers
from a zx9 man the C models are very diff from the E models OK
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was thinking about putting pod filters and taking off the air box and putting stage 3 jet kit in the carbs. I haven't bought any jets yet. Thanks for telling me not together dyno jet cause those were the ones I was looking at. I would need to know the carb size if I put pod filters on there.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

An hour is quite a bit optimistic for installing a jet kit on these bikes. You might be able to do it in under an hour after some practice and only if you're changing jets. If you're messing with needles you'll probably need closer to 3 hours the first time and after practice you might get it close to 1 hour, and you'll get practice carb kits are rarely a one time deal. The only jet kits I'd consider for your bike are Ivan's (only if you have a 4-1 exhaust) and Factory Pro.

As others have said, although the C and E model carbs are the same size (40mm) and spacing they are quite different, but the F's and C's are similar. E's and F's have similar cams, timing, and port design. If you set up a C set like an F set they'd probably work, but that seems like a lot of trouble when you can just jet the E model carbs correctly.

Do not remove the airbox and put on pod filters! The ram air on these bikes is extremely effective and you'll lose a lot of free HP on the road for a possible increase on the dyno.
maut9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Where should I get them from? Should I just get stage 1? What is the best kind for the 01 with a full muzzy exhaust?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Factory pro and yes the 1.0 ... "CRB-K67-1.0" is the sctual part number you would want. Comes complete with instructions too, if you are mechanically inclined this is no big deal and very easy.
719-648-6520
www.Jackelmoto.com
Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

is that the part number for the 01 carbs?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Quote:
Originally Posted by maut9r View Post
...Do not remove the airbox and put on pod filters! The ram air on these bikes is extremely effective and you'll lose a lot of free HP on the road for a possible increase on the dyno.
About 8 HP to be exact.

This magnification of the dyno chart shows the difference between dynoing a ZX-9 with ambient pressure (lower line) and then stuffing 30 millibars of wind into the intake system-a gain of eight horsepower (from 123 to 131 at the peak). The manometer shows that the ZX-9 reaches 30 millibars of airbox pressure at 150 mph. - SportRider.com
At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, & otherwise stock.
Science & OODA literate. ACA covered.
e1_ZX-9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I Ride: 2008 CBR1000RR, 2000 ZX9r sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jackel View Post
Factory pro and yes the 1.0 ... "CRB-K67-1.0" is the sctual part number you would want. Comes complete with instructions too, if you are mechanically inclined this is no big deal and very easy.
Quote:
is that the part number for the 01 carbs?
I think Jackel must have thought you wanted a jet kit for the 99 carbs, the p/n for the 01 is CRB-K88-1.7-RK and here is a link http://www.factorypro.com/

I ended up finding one cheaper on ebay.

Quote:
I much prefer being on 2 wheels, more maneuverable and quicker than the pack so I can snake through the stupid. --Shifty1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
So EZ, a caveman can do it.
rileydeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

I can match or beat any prices you guys see, if your intrested.
719-648-6520
www.Jackelmoto.com
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Nal

I Ride: in my dreams...

so what's wrong with the dynojet kit?, I just installed one on mine the other day
XBOX LIVE = NALSS9R
Nal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

When I bought my bike the previous owner had put a dynojet kit in it. When he did he did not install the plug that plugs off the main air jet restrictor. Of course they figure the main jetting with that restrictor installed, so without it the thing would have had to be running lean. I have read elsewhere that it is a common mistake to leave the plug out because it would be hard to undo and people don't realize how important it would be to the way they have the fuel curve figured. Anyway it took a fair amount of reaserch to figure all that out and when I did I also found out a lot of people liked the Factory Pro and Ivan's kits better. I went with the Factory Pro and the thing has a ton more power especially above 8 grand. Of course that has to be partially because of the plug being left out of the Dynojet kit.

Quote:
I much prefer being on 2 wheels, more maneuverable and quicker than the pack so I can snake through the stupid. --Shifty1
Quote:
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Also I liked that the Factory Pro kit comes with new redesigned emulsion tubes and new size 40 pilot jets. I really liked what they had to say about the redesign on the emulsion tubes (plus it is something that wears out) and I think the size 40 pilot jets are key to eliminating the surge. Even though it may have hurt the fuel milage just a touch.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Nal

I don't think it should be tha hard to take off using a screw kinda like with the mix plug, just thread in and pull, but I won't know until it's tried, lol
XBOX LIVE = NALSS9R
Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nal View Post
I don't think it should be tha hard to take off using a screw kinda like with the mix plug, just thread in and pull, but I won't know until it's tried, lol
I agree, but you know how some people are and the silly shortcuts they take

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Nal

good point, lol
XBOX LIVE = NALSS9R
Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

i found out when i was syncing my carbs my number one carb is spitting fuel out of the front( the part you would see when you take off the air filter) so i think my float wont close off. im going to pull the carbs off tomorrow and see if the float has the ring on the rubber part. any other suggestions?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

jackel how much for the jet kit i need for my bike???
Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
..any other suggestions?
Yeah you should definitely inspect all the float needle and seat parts very carefully, but also I would go with a new fuel filter and flush out all the lines. Tiny particles of dirt can also cause the floats to stick.

Check some other threads in here on cleaning carbs if you get a chance. A lot of good info and something you will see repeated over and over is that a lot of people ended up pulling the carbs apart more than once because what they thought was clean really wasn't quite clean enough.

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement