Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Indecent proposal

9K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  mattylt1 
#1 ·
:evil :evil

I don't want to jinx anything, but I just committed to buying my second ZX-9r.

Salt Lake City here I come...pics to follow on Sunday when I arrive home. :blob

#5 ·
Selling? Out of my dead hands maybe. Adding! I'll post pics on Sunday. Model is F1/F2. I fly out of SLC Saturday morning. One way. Love the frequent flier miles. I think I can make it home in one day; bike to truck, truck & bike to home. Weather looks good. That's my plan anyway. My adrenaline will probably keep me pumped to be home by ~1AM Sunday.

#6 ·
I woulda bet you were going to the F model. I've read some, but, what are the major improvements from the E in your opinion? I know slightly larger front brake, but what else?
I know there sure don't seem to be many of the f models for sale, around here at least.

#7 ·
This was my first choice. SF Craigslist, but the guy has a lien holder and sounds like he's never sold a vehicle before. It may still be a backup, but I seriously doubt it. If you wonder why the pics are from 2008, it's because he's been trying to sell it for that long. First $5,800 in 08, then $5,500 & $5,200 last year. Then $4,800 in 2010 and now $4,200.

As for advantages? I really haven't given it that much thought. I just love the way any 2000+ 9r looks and I know what to look for this time when I test ride. The transaction is 99% set in stone. We've agreed to a price already and the bike sounds like what I'm after. I've never owned a new bike and I think either of these bikes would be close.

AND IT'S GOING TO LOOK SOO F-ING COOL HAVING TWO IN MY GARAGE!!

#9 ·
+1 That's a cool collection you have there! They're beauts!

Hmm, now if I could just clone myself. :rolleyes

#19 ·
That FJ1200 is aside from the 3, V-65 Magnas I had probably one of the best all around bikes ever. Lot of power, totally comfortable, very maneuverable, and fast to boot. 93 and all I've ever done is regular maintenance and ride it never had so much s a hiccup from her if the 14 hadnt come out I might still be riden her every day.

#12 ·
That could be, but it's been a long, long time in the making, waiting and watching for the right opportunity to come along. And I did consider other bikes and models. The 9r really is me, as testament to the 21K/yr I'm putting on my e1.

#13 ·
The bike I bought was 7thGear's basically brand new 2002 ZX-9r. I made him an offer shortly after seeing him post up. He poo-pooed it at first, but I persisted and I think the 9 was a bit much for him. When we exchanged money yesterday he was going straight over to pick up a used EFI CBR-600 he had chosen at one of the dealerships. He also gave me his 7thGear login and related Gmail account, since he won't need it anymore. Don't know what good that will be, but whatever.

OMG am I ever tired and sore right now, but jazzed too. What a sweet deal.

The differences between the two aren't that great, but here's a list of what I've observed:

2002 F1 v. 2000 E1
vibrates noticeably more at all RPM, but still not bad
seems to have very good roll-on kick
bad throttle stumble on/off/on.
Lean surge is present, same as E1 before tuning it
gear changes aren't silky smooth, cannot not get it to clunk hard into first from neutral
starts easier, but runs rougher and hotter
front brake feels more aggressive
I miss the h-frame mirror bar used to rest on during long trips
I miss the passenger handles in back
looks: love the paint and reinforced rear swingarm. looks badass. may need a hugger for this girl.
got about 48 MPG at extra legal highway speeds. Not too bad.

#15 ·
ZX-9r F1 California model

The natives are restless!! Forgive my tardiness getting the pics up. Yesterday was a lonnnng marathon kind of day. :whip Very excited everything worked out.

But yes, here's my new baby. 12% of the miles the engine has, were put on yesterday riding it home. She's even prettier in person. And like I said, I've never owned a new bike and this girl feels like I just rode her out of the showroom. Everything is said to be stock and from what I can sense/tell, that's true; from the stock muffler to the stock tires. It even had the break-in sticker still on the tachometer.
:mfclap :rofl

E1 & F1 together at last

#29 ·
12% of the miles the engine has, were put on yesterday riding it home. She's even prettier in person. And like I said, I've never owned a new bike and this girl feels like I just rode her out of the showroom.
Everything is said to be stock and from what I can sense/tell, that's true; from the stock muffler to the stock tires.
It even had the break-in sticker still on the tachometer.
I know how you feel man. I got my brand new used ZX7R and sometimes i feel bad for putting miles on her. I bought it with 219.5 miles and just the other day went with a ride with a forum member, rolled over 2300.

I didnt pull off my break in sticker untill i did a jet kit. haha

The 9's look REALLY good together, and i wish you luck with the both of them. Sometimes i wish i had a bit of that kawi green..

#18 ·
ryedenhard said:
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! I cant believe they both still have the rear fenders.
Very funny! I actually prefer the E's fender as is. The F's has a much steeper angle and is 1 1/2" longer. Cutting is in it's future.
Thanks. Every diamond has flaws. I've started a list of things to check on and change, starting with setting the pilot air screws (capped) and syncing the carbs. Ugh! And the DMV :rant

#23 ·
If not for its rarity, it wouldn't be such a big deal. One of my riding buddies came by to BS and had to take a double-take. Two green MCs???

I worked on both bikes yesterday. Valves on the E1 and drilled the pilot air screw caps and synced the F1.* The F1's screws were all over the map**, similar to the E's original drunken sailor :tard settings. On both bikes I sprayed out their carb orifices, did a physical inspection and set them at 1 1/2 turns. The F1 ran well before, after all it is basically new. But now, it's that much smoother (the E still gets the nod in that department). I didn't sync the E, because it's my superstition that I want to bed the valves in for a couple hundred miles before a new sync.

Just waiting for the parts to arrive at my door. I'll post up pics of the mods and observations as time passes. I can sense already that this riding season is going to be the most memorable ever. :rofl

* Confirmed. The bike is completely stock.
** from 1 1/16 - 2 1/4 turns. What a mess!

#30 ·
nice bikes but i think you might have a problem my buddy i ride with alot and his dad have like six bikes in one garage it is a nice site good luck with them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.