1998 zx9 wire help needed : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-9R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 1998 zx9r

1998 zx9 wiring harness help needed urgently

i got my bike with no turning signals and when i was putting on the back ones i noticed while looking for which wires to connect, there are two red wires and two blue wire coming out of the biggest connector for the taillight (where the red, blue, and black wires come from the harness) that are cut along with many others that are single wire going into smaller red connectors that look like splitters but the second wire is cut off on some of them too. can anyone tell me what each color wire is for. the only thing i am sure of is the turn signals and i think i know the taillights' wires also but there are so many extras i just have no clue. also what is the black "rubber-like" box with all the wires in one side of it i will appreciate any help!

Last edited by chrissparks51998zx9r; 06-18-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: i left some stuff out
chrissparks51998zx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX10R

the box is the ECU (computer)! as for the wires the BK/Y & Gray are right rear turn sig. and the BK/Y & Green are left rear turn. Blue/R, Red, Bk/Y are tail/ brake light.
dirty13south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissparks51998zx9r View Post
i got my bike with no turning signals and when i was putting on the back ones i noticed while looking for which wires to connect, there are two red wires and two blue wire coming out of the biggest connector for the taillight (where the red, blue, and black wires come from the harness) that are cut along with many others that are single wire going into smaller red connectors that look like splitters but the second wire is cut off on some of them too. can anyone tell me what each color wire is for. the only thing i am sure of is the turn signals and i think i know the taillights' wires also but there are so many extras i just have no clue. also what is the black "rubber-like" box with all the wires in one side of it i will appreciate any help!
I have also same problem with me. I don't know anything about automobile wirings.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 99 ZX9r

The small black rubber like box in the back by the tail light with red connector and 4 wires is the fuel pump relay. Turn signal wires would have two wires on eacj side of subframe, with bullet terminal style connectors on them
Muzzy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty13south View Post
the box is the ECU (computer)! as for the wires the BK/Y & Gray are right rear turn sig. and the BK/Y & Green are left rear turn. Blue/R, Red, Bk/Y are tail/ brake light.
Zx9s never had an ecu.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: 2005 ZX10R

ECU/ CDI samething...
dirty13south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

IC ignitor
Old 06-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I Ride: 1998 zx9r

well thanks for the help but i figured out it was just an aftermarket taillight with the turn signals you know, "built in". i guess that's an "integrated taillight", no?
chrissparks51998zx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement