Need help figuring out how previous owner ghetto rigged my front forks up - ZX Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Question Need help figuring out how previous owner ghetto rigged my front forks up

Hello, new to the forum. I bought my '98 ZX-9Rc1 November 2016 and it has been my main form of transportation until just recently I bought a used Toyota Camry which has enabled me to put the bike into the shop and finally begin to address some of the issues that the previous owner decided to curse this bike with...

Main issue that has been bugging me is how he had the front forks set up. They appeared to be sitting low in the tripple's and at first I assumed that it was because the P/O was a shorter fellow and I guessed that perhaps this set-up allowed him to maybe get a better reach to the handlebars..lol...idk, that was my first theory. Whatever the reason for the strange positioning of the top of the forks in the tripple clamps/handlebar clamp I want to change it back to the way it was from the factory... I have a feeling this f**ked up set-up has altered the handling characteristics of my bike and I hate that thought...

Here's some pictures I just took to hopefully give you a better idea of what it is that I have been trying to explain... So first picture you can see right away that the top of the fork tube is sitting way low in the bar clamp, both left & right fork tubes were mounted low like this... You'll also notice that the bar clamp itself is upside down... still not sure why he did that....

In this next picture it shows the left fork after I took the handle bar off and also loosened the tripple clamps a little too much which caused the fork to shoot way up into the tripples... this is a result of my wrenching... to begin with both forks were looking like the right one was in the first pictures... See the red circle? I cant seem to get that thing to move... it's like 4am and I cant make alot of noise right now without pissing family members off so im not sure if I took a hammer to it if it would move or not but ive been reefing on the thing and hitting it with the aft end of screwdrivers etc and it wont budge... it also doesnt look like this piece even came with the bike from factory... gets me wondering what or why the hell the previous owner went to all this effort to F**K up the front end of this bike.... Later today I will retrieve my mallet from my friend who borrowed it a minute ago and then I will really be able to pound on it, but does anyone have any idea where that piece came from? Will I be able to pound it off? I hope so and I would think that it would be possible.. Removing that piece will be essential to restoring the proper set-up to this front end.

And last but not least a side shot of the babe..

Any insight into the problem I am facing will be much appreciated. Thanks for your time!

- Steve

Last edited by Steve98zx9R; 02-14-2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Readability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:54 AM

I Ride: '07 ZX-14

Normally those clip-ons would be below the top yoke. Short or not, it looks like the tubes were slid up to give something for the bars to hang onto above the yoke. The way they are loooks sketchy and not very secure.

Sliding the tubes up in the yokes quickens steering and if done to extreme, could cause instability at speed, which could be dangerous. Return them to the stock position (top of the tubes even with the top of the top yoke) and either mount the clip-ons as they should be or get some different bars.

It may be a pig, but it's a pig with a rocket in it's ass!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I am a little confused by how you say the clip-ons should be mounted beneath the top yoke because the service manual for this year and model keeps showing the clip-ons mounted directly ontop of the top yoke.. not beneath.. Maybe someone could chime in and clear up the confusion...

The way I thought it should be was clip-ons mounted directly on top of the top yoke and to have the fork tubes sitting flush with the top of the clipons.. like in the pictures from the service manual above..

Edit**

It's almost like the previous owner installed something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENMAR-Kaw...-/251210488629

They are handlebar risers, i just found them on ebay, they bare a striking resembelance to the piece on the fork that I highlighted with the red circle in the original post

Last edited by Steve98zx9R; 02-14-2017 at 09:07 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 PM

Then possibly the forks weren't altered at all, the PO just slipped risers under the bars without moving the legs in the yokes. Your manual should tell you. More recent KHI "clip-ons" are cast lugs that bolt directly to the top yoke and do not grasp the fork leg.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
Then possibly the forks weren't altered at all, the PO just slipped risers under the bars without moving the legs in the yokes. Your manual should tell you. More recent KHI "clip-ons" are cast lugs that bolt directly to the top yoke and do not grasp the fork leg.
Yup, thats exactly what it was. Stupid risers. It took some fine hammer work but I finally got them off. Put the clipons n all the handlebar stuff back together and what a differance, wowey. Since I bought this bike I knew something felt not quite right, im not exactly a short guy at 6'3", so getting rid of those risers has made the bike feel so much betterer. Thanks for your input, cheers

| 1998 ZX-9R | G.P.R. Exhaust Slip On |

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:45 PM

Glad you got it sorted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the ZX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page