Performance Upgrades : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 2003 ZX7R

Performance Upgrades

Im thinking about doing some performance mods to my 2003 but wanted some opinions first. Has anyone here used a Flo Commander or even heard of them? Is it worth $150? Im also gonna be jetting it if I decide to do any performance upgrades. What jet kit do you suggest? Im running a muzzy exhaust if that matters (dont know if its a full exhaust or just the can since it was on the bike when I got it). From what I remember reading here the Dyno Jet kit seems to be the preferred option. Also, should I try spacing the jets first? Ive read somewhere that using a number 4 washer will suffice and help smooth out the power band but I dont know how true that is. Lastly, are there any writeups with pics on jetting? I dont want to get into it with crappy instructions and get lost waiting on forum help to get my bike back on the road. Also, recommendations on a decent sync tool that wont break the bank would also help since ill want to syn the carbs after doing the jetting.

I ask a lot of questions before I start up until I feel comfortable with doing the job, I asked a ton before doing my clutch which turned out to be simple as putting gas in the bike. The next upgrade behind this one will be to start shaving weight but thats definitely down the road after I lose a few pounds first.
SpeakerBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: ZX7RR N1

The flo commander doesn't do much more beyond relocating the location that your air jets get its air from. Flo Commander says the standard location has too much turbulence for air intake... not sure if I buy that. Another advantage of the Flo Commander is its ability to remotely adjust the mixture of your carbs via the air jets. This may be useful or useless depending on how the air and fuel circuits mix (different from carb to carb) and the motorcycle application (weekend canyons or riding across a continent).

I have heard good and bad things about all the carb kits. I prefer the factory pro because it doesn't require any permanent mods to the carbs and comes with the best set of tuning instructions. The FP carb tuning pages have been sourced on just about every forum I've ever been on.

Shimming the needle will often improve the way the bike feels because for emissions reasons bikes are usually jetted on the leaner side on the bottom/mid range.

There are plenty of general jetting write-ups but I'm not sure how useful any of them will be. They won't give you the correct settings your looking for and the assembly/disassembly of the carbs is pretty straight forward. The only thing I'd suggest is disassemble the throttle housing to make removing/installing the carbs on the bike a lot easier (not everyone does this)

Unless your thinking a home made tool, you'll be hard pressed to find anything decent below $75. I've personally used dial gauges, the morgan carbtune pro 2 and the motion pro manometer. I'd get the morgan.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips man. My biggest concern is that I'll get lost during the process and my bike would be out of commission for too long with me trouble shooting ya know. Also, while making my adjustments to the carbs, what would I do to keep gas going to the bike so it keeps running? Also, any special tools needed outside of the norm as far as screwdrivers? Should I do an ignition advance while im at it? Any other mods I should do while im in there? Float bowl mod? Getting rid of the emissions stuff?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post
Thanks for the tips man. My biggest concern is that I'll get lost during the process and my bike would be out of commission for too long with me trouble shooting ya know. Also, while making my adjustments to the carbs, what would I do to keep gas going to the bike so it keeps running? Also, any special tools needed outside of the norm as far as screwdrivers? Should I do an ignition advance while im at it? Any other mods I should do while im in there? Float bowl mod? Getting rid of the emissions stuff?
Simply installing a carb kit doesn't leave much room for big mistakes. Difficult to break your bike.

Don't do anything to the intake/exhaust that is outside of what your jet kit is designed for. Ivans kit for example calls for emissions stuff to remain and a stock filter to be used. Factory Pro is designed for aftermarket filter, after market full system and emissions stuff removed. Dynojet offers kit that require various levels of intake/exhaust mods.

You can keep your bike running by hooking up some fuel supply to the fuel filter fuel line. Either get a longer fuel line and hook your tank up or get something like the motion pro auxillary fuel tank which is what I have.

The ignition rotor is in a totally different part of the bike so doing it with your carbs doesn't really save you much effort. I'm also not sure advancing the ignition requires changes in fueling. In theory the intake stroke is over before the effects of the advancer kick in?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Whore

I Ride: '03 zx9r(dead) & '01 zx7r

Nice post sixstring. I didn't know that about the various jet kit manufacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185EZ View Post
Lee in charge
K bye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Lee is now in charge.
LeeCig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, I have a muzzy can but dont have a clue as to whether or not its a full system and dont know how to tell if it is. Could you enlighten me on that? Im sure its marked somewhere but ive never bothered to look when doing any regular maintenance. Theres already a k&n filter in there so im good on that part. Im gonna take your recommendations and go with the FP kit. Im gonna come up with my own auxiliary fuel "system". I cant see buying something I wont use very often if at all when im sure I can make one that will suffice. As far as the advancer goes, I was gonna go ahead and do that while the plastics were off since itll be open season to knock it out at that point.

Hopefully im not frustrating you or anyone else with all these questions, I just want to get this right the first time around ya know.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

If your Muzzy can has 3 bolt that holds it on to the headers then you have stock headers. If your Muzzy can slips on to the headers and is held in place with springs then you have aftermarket headers (probably Muzzy).

FYI, you don't need to remove your plastics to do carbs.

I'd fit the advancer before fiddling with the carbs. That way if something feels odd it'll be easy to determine if the problem is the advancer or the jetting.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
If your Muzzy can has 3 bolt that holds it on to the headers then you have stock headers. If your Muzzy can slips on to the headers and is held in place with springs then you have aftermarket headers (probably Muzzy).

FYI, you don't need to remove your plastics to do carbs.

I'd fit the advancer before fiddling with the carbs. That way if something feels odd it'll be easy to determine if the problem is the advancer or the jetting.
I can't remember if my can is held on with springs or not so I went to the pics on my phone. No springs. :( Is the factory pro kit still a good choice or should I look elsewhere since I don't have a full exhaust setup? I'll try to look at where the can and headers come together tonight when I get home to see how they bolt up.

I'll probably hold off on the advancer since they seem to be hard to find. So I'll get the jet kit and get it dialed in before I worry about the advancer.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 ZX7

Quote:
I can't remember if my can is held on with springs or not so I went to the pics on my phone. No springs. :( Is the factory pro kit still a good choice or should I look elsewhere since I don't have a full exhaust setup? I'll try to look at where the can and headers come together tonight when I get home to see how they bolt up.

I'll probably hold off on the advancer since they seem to be hard to find. So I'll get the jet kit and get it dialed in before I worry about the advancer.
A thread that I started a few days ago was asking a variation of the same question. The answer I got was essentially that a jet kit won't give you more power but will smooth out your power delivery. If all you have is a bolt on muffler, you probably don't need a jet kit. I have the same setup as you and it runs fine.

As for the advancer, it'S easy to install and as easier to find than you think. There's the Factory Pro +4 model that's hard to find anywhere but there's AdvancerMan who makes a +4 advancer for a very reasonable price on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZX7...ht_1621wt_1035

I bought one and I'm waiting for it in the mail any day so I can install it.
djimass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djimass View Post
A thread that I started a few days ago was asking a variation of the same question. The answer I got was essentially that a jet kit won't give you more power but will smooth out your power delivery. If all you have is a bolt on muffler, you probably don't need a jet kit. I have the same setup as you and it runs fine.

As for the advancer, it'S easy to install and as easier to find than you think. There's the Factory Pro +4 model that's hard to find anywhere but there's AdvancerMan who makes a +4 advancer for a very reasonable price on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZX7...ht_1621wt_1035

I bought one and I'm waiting for it in the mail any day so I can install it.

I guess I wasn't looking to add horsepower per say, I'm just looking for a bit more oommmph ya know. I'll give the advancer a try first since it's the easiest and cheapest method to get a better response.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 ZX7

Quote:
I guess I wasn't looking to add horsepower per say, I'm just looking for a bit more oommmph ya know. I'll give the advancer a try first since it's the easiest and cheapest method to get a better response.
The two cheapest ways to add "oomph" would be to change your sprockets (I went -1 front/ rear) and the advancer. If your chain is new-ish (mine has 2000kms), then you can just change the sprockets. If not, it's advised that you change the chain as well which makes the operation a lot more expensive. Then again you could be lucky like I was last summer and find a brand new EK x-ring chain for $48...
djimass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djimass View Post
The two cheapest ways to add "oomph" would be to change your sprockets (I went -1 front/ rear) and the advancer. If your chain is new-ish (mine has 2000kms), then you can just change the sprockets. If not, it's advised that you change the chain as well which makes the operation a lot more expensive. Then again you could be lucky like I was last summer and find a brand new EK x-ring chain for $48...
A little over 1k miles ago, I changed the chain and sprockets and went with a -1 +2 setup. I just feel that this engine has more in it than what it's giving me even though it's quite quick. Maybe I'm just too damn big for the bike, who know's. lol I'm gonna order the advancer now and see if that changes anything. From that point, I might opt for a full exhaust and then jetting. If I'm still not happy, I'll try to lose some weight(me personally, then the bike). If none of that works, I'll just go get a zx14 and call it done. lol Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

I Ride: 2000 ZX7R

You already have a full exhaust.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

This is what a slip on looks like.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

I Ride: 2002 ZX-7R; 1998 ZX-7R; 2005 MV Agusta F4 1000S 1+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelKnauber View Post
This is what a slip on looks like.

That looks more like a 'bolt-on' as opposed to a 'slip-on'.

Slip-ons use springs to hold the canister in place rather than bolts and the muffler slips over the mid-pipe into place.

That's what I like about you, Turbo. Instead of looking to external factors you consistently look to yourself to provide the improvements first.

"I can't corner the way I want to, I'll improve that."

"My bike feels heavy, I'll lose weight."

In a day and age where everyone's playing the blame game and looking for excuses it's refreshing to see a little discipline, determination, and self-efficacy.

ZX7RJoe
Turbo329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Sorry, I meant "bolt" on. I just meant not a full exhaust.

A standard zx7r exhaust looks like this. So he definitely has an aftermarket header to go with the muzzy pipe. His really looks like every muzzy full system I've ever seen.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Oh, I must have misunderstood the difference between them. lol Awesome. I've already ordered the advancer so after that get's here I'll determine whether or not I want to jet it. Thanks again for the help guys, pics always help me a lot more than words no matter how helpful the words are. lol
Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Got a couple things in. I'm gonna install these probably next week since at that point I'll have time to do it.

It's a zx10 throttle tube and a +4 advancer, and Pete threw in a kit kat with the advancer. lol If these don't provide that little extra I'm looking for, I'll go ahead and order a jet kit and carb sync tool(might try building my own since they seem to be really simple devices).
Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

I Ride: 2002 ZX7R, 1994 ZX7 (Sold)

Quote:
Got a couple things in. I'm gonna install these probably next week since at that point I'll have time to do it.

It's a zx10 throttle tube and a +4 advancer, and Pete threw in a kit kat with the advancer. lol .
The Kit Kat mod is no joke. Best bang-for-the-buck mod you can do to a 7, hands down.

ZX7RJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Another thing that is great value for money is throttle cables. Makes your bike feel newer somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement