zx7 bolt on swing arm extension help... : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 08 Yamaha R1 Raven /95 Ninja ZX7 (Sold)

zx7 bolt on swing arm extension help...

I posted this elsewhere but seems more fitting here.

I was told a 96-03 extension kit would fit on my 95 zx7. I am setting up a modified 95 zx7. I see a ton of kits for 96-03.

What swing arm extensions are compatible with my bike? I was also told a gsxr 750 swing arm extension set would also work. Any truth to what I am hearing?
jmilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

The spacer block section is the same 93+

Josh

1966 Honda CM91 friggin' Chick Magnet
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
The spacer block section is the same 93+

Josh
I kind of thought that but was not sure. So a kit for a 96 should work? It includes the extension, hardware, chain, and extended brake caliper bar.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

The rear brakes are different between the 93-95 and 96+... You'll need to figure out that torque arm.

Josh

Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

One last odd question. The supplier I'm looking at has kits for the zx6 and zx9 of 96+

Which one should I go with?

And I really appreciate all the help. One kit comes with a bracket that mounts the caliper to the swing arm, eliminating the torque bar. Would that be a bad idea?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have no clue on 6 or 9. The 9 swingarm is similar to the 7, but I'm not sure just how similar.

Getting rid of that torque is a good idea either way.

Josh

Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I have no clue on 6 or 9. The 9 swingarm is similar to the 7, but I'm not sure just how similar.

Getting rid of that torque is a good idea either way.

Josh
I was going to guess the 9 would be more appropriate, although maybe they are the same? I guess the only issue would be the brake caliper. I heard also (and you said) the spacer blocks are the same.

Just a hunch, but the supplier sells a kit for the gsxr 600/750 and its the same part number. A buddy of mine has a extension set on his gsxr 750 (1995) and it looks identical to mine. Too bad he is deployed right now!

Thanks man, I wonder if the 600 and the 750 had the same swing arm....
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

where did you find the 96-03 kist for a zx7 i am looking for one and i always see zx6 9 and 10
smalltalk8186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltalk8186 View Post
where did you find the 96-03 kist for a zx7 i am looking for one and i always see zx6 9 and 10
It is for the ZX6 and a kit for the ZX9. I am trying to figure out which one to go with.

I know they make a kit for the GSXR750, and I heard it does bolt up to my 95 ZX7. BUT I do not want stupid suzuki writing all over my swing arm....
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I guess to be on the safe side I might have to go with the Suzuki gsxr 750 set... And return it if it doesn't work...
Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
57x

I Ride: 92 ZX7R, 94 ZX7R, 99 ZX9R, 09 ZX6R, FZR400RR SP, Aprilia Futura

94-97 ZX9R swingarm is nearly identical to the 96+ ZX7R. It is somewhat of a hybrid of the 91-95 and the 96+. The ZX9R blocks are the same as the ZX7R. I have used a ZX9R axle on a ZX7.

You will have to probably make a new brake strut arm so that it is long enough to reach the new axle location.
57x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

I Ride: 98 ZX-7R ( two of them )

I have two 98 ZX-7's
My black on black bike is running a 97 ZX-9 rear rim . The brake is different. The 9 has a caliper located above the arm and the stock 96+ ZX-7 caliper mounts below the arm.
Also the ZX-9 Rim has a differnt rotor side spacer than the Stock 7 spacer. ( the 9's spacer is wider. )
You can check out www.exoticcycle.com for your extensions. ( thats where mine are from ) Johnny can help you out with your needs.
And just so you know these links Have ZX engraved at the front of the extension and ExoticCycle ebgraved on the tops. ( NO SUZUKI STAMPED ANYWHERE. lol )

The ZX-9's arm is the same as a stock 96+ 7 . The axels are identical with the exception of the spacer on the rotor side. My black bike is all stock ZX-7 other than the rim and brake hanger and caliper. My axel is from the stock 7 rim.
Don't forget to add in your extended brake line.
You can make your stock line work with a 6" stretch , but it is not the best option in the world. Anything over that, forget it, your'e pressing your luck.
Also you will need to look into a set of lowering links, or the bike will sit really high up in the air. And if you carry a passenger be aware that the bike will sit way closer to the ground if you do lower it more than 2".
There are a few places offering shocks that are shorter , with stiffer springs to give you the factory ride. However the cheapest one ive found so far comes from www.roaringtoyz.com and its around $490.
Just some of the things I learned the hard way when I first started to lower mine.
Hope that little info can help you out.

Paul

Last edited by EVIL7TWINS; 03-27-2012 at 01:19 AM.
EVIL7TWINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks a TON! I ended up getting in touch with Exoticycle and they are going to fab me up a brand new set specifically for my bike specs.

Thanks again
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

I Ride: A warhorse H model ZX7, and a whole lot of stuff

Is that Sally's bike how I saw it last? Looks good don't it?! You ever get those plugs put in?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

From my experience with my last stretched zx7r they do mot make a direct bolt on kit for it. I ordered the zx9 extensions and the swingarm needed to be slightly grinded for them to fit. I looked everywhere for a direct bolt on kit but never seen one. I would recommend getting the brake bar eliminator instead of a extended arm.
MrEnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilch View Post
Thanks a TON! I ended up getting in touch with Exoticycle and they are going to fab me up a brand new set specifically for my bike specs.

Thanks again
Glad to hear they helped you out. POST PICS WHEN YOURE DONE !!!!!
Not everyone likes the look or handling of a stretched out bike. It is however something that I like. Being in Fl. we have a ton of straight roads and not to much on the twisties so for us its not to much of a big deal. Also for me I dont particuarly like the way the wheel looks tucked up under the tail . This was the reason for me stretching it. It was more for looks rather than function. But mine does function just fine. ( ask ChristyKitty ) lol .

Christy that is Sally's bike , but it was taken a few months back when mine was apart.

Paul
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVIL7TWINS View Post
Glad to hear they helped you out. POST PICS WHEN YOURE DONE !!!!!
Not everyone likes the look or handling of a stretched out bike. It is however something that I like. Being in Fl. we have a ton of straight roads and not to much on the twisties so for us its not to much of a big deal. Also for me I dont particuarly like the way the wheel looks tucked up under the tail . This was the reason for me stretching it. It was more for looks rather than function. But mine does function just fine. ( ask ChristyKitty ) lol .

Christy that is Sally's bike , but it was taken a few months back when mine was apart.

Paul
I was concerned about the height adjustment. Do I need lowering links? I will order some up and get them on the way if need be. I have the stock show and spring. I planned to use the stock shock. I do not ride with a passenger much and if I do she is about 100 lbs. I don't want to sink 1000 into doing this though...

I will have about 400 into the extension, new brake mount, new chain and the extended brake line.

The lowered bones will set me back another 75 or so. If I can do it for under 500 then it's a go. If I have to change the stock shock and spring, I probably won't put the money into it.

This is most for show. I like the look. I do not like the smashed in look with the tire so far inward on the bike stock. I got the idea from seeing another 95 7r stretched, and it really caught my eye like yours.

Should I worry about the shock issue or just do it without replacing the shock?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

No if youre not carrying a passenger then dont worry about the shock. Its not a big deal. As for the lowering links, yes they are a must, otherwise the bike will be sitting pretty high up in the air. But on that note theyre pretty cheap on Ebay. Mine only cost $15 shipped. The links for the 7, 9, and I believe the 14 are all the same. They will cross over to some other brands as well. ( not sure specific models and years ) A 3 hole lowering link will give you what you need and want for 99% of your desires. Again they are cheap.
As for an extended line if you havent bought one yet then check ebay, or any local salvage yards. As for my lines I have steel braided lines that I picked up from a local speed shop for $25 a piece. This shop had tons of different lengths as well , with removable ends on them.
A lot of specialty bike shops like www.roaringtoyz.com will custom cut an entire set for your bike with custom colors and custom banjo ends for less than $200.
Just do your research.
If you need any info just contact me.

Paul
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

One question - I see the stock swing arm pocket is not completely filled by the extension. I emailed Johnny to see if he can fab one up that sits nicely into the stock pocket.

Its mostly a show bike, and gets ridden for charity and other rides during the summer. So it would be essential to look decent, and fit seamlessly into the swing arm pocket like most extensions do on newer bikes....

How long ago did you buy your set?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

I cant remember how long its been exactly. Its been a few years though.
I picked them up as an off the shelf deal he had in the shop. they fit great and I never have had any problems yet. As far as the perfect fit..... See what Johnny has to say. Dont know if they can or cant make it for you.

Paul
Advertisement