zx7 not starting when hot, help please ! : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question zx7 not starting when hot, help please !

Hi folks i have a 98 zx7r and love it. it seems to start no problem when it is cold but when the engine warms up it doesn't like to start ? It will bump start easily when warm or when the engine is hot it will start if you turn the idle screw rite down ?? the bike has alot of extras on it which were fitted before i got the bike and it has been dino-jetted etc ?

Any help on this one ??

Smartninja
smartninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 04:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: zx-7r P4

When i bought my bike and brought it home, i noticed the same thing, when hot she wouldn't start for nothing. I first changed the sparks, when i did that i noticed the old ones were very, very loose (unscrewed), i also saw that they were not the proper ones for my bike model. I screwed the new ones properly and the problem disappeared but not entirely, sometimes would start with a little help from acceleration. Turned out to be also the rich mixture gas/air, had to much gas in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPX0LpJmgIQ
brigadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

yup.. time to fiddle with your air/fuel screws...
ohjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 00 ZX-9r Lime Green 02 ZX-9r Lime Green, California E1 & F1 models, respectively

Classic rich low speed circuit symptoms

yup.. time to fiddle with your air/fuel screws... (turn them in, in increments of 1/4 turn)

Hint: you want the bike to require choke at cold start. Then you'll know you've turned them in enough.
At the track she's outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. She's the only big-bore canyon carving hypermiler I know of. -- Picture gallery, K&N air filter, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG touring shield, stock gearing & ignition. Highest observed speed: 167 MPH @ ~4,800' AMSL.
Science literate. ACA covered.
e1_ZX-9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

OK guys i'll try setting the air/fuel mixture screws. i'll let ya know how i get on
smartninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: 89 ZX7

Something really simple that worked for me, is turning off the fuel, at the switch/tap, every time you turn off the bike. Even if you are only shutting it off for a minute or two. Some guys go so far as to shut off the fuel tap, a few tenths of a mile before you reach your destination. I'm not sure what the deal is, either fuel continues to gravity feed, or vacuum draws it in, but when you leave the fuel tap on, it almost always causes a flooding condition. BTW, having your bike in good tune always helps as well, i.e. synched and clean carbs, good plugs etc. Hope this helps!
Metalcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement