zx7r : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 2002 Kawasaki Ninja zx7r

zx7r

I just got a zx7r and havent rode it very much, maybe 150 miles and today after I had been riding it for a bit it started sputtering while I was riding and shifting through the gears. Then it died at the stop light when I tried to go. Can anybody tell me what could be wrong with it? Could it be old gas making it do that? Thanks
aninjazx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjazx7r View Post
I just got a zx7r and havent rode it very much, maybe 150 miles and today after I had been riding it for a bit it started sputtering while I was riding and shifting through the gears. Then it died at the stop light when I tried to go. Can anybody tell me what could be wrong with it? Could it be old gas making it do that? Thanks
Bad gas,plugged carbs,Fuel tank vent plugged,charging system took a dump.....Could be one of a number of things.Check the charging system and get a multimeter and eliminate the easy stuff first.

My ZX12R Build:
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-12...ave-today.html

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...r-real-m1.html

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-7r...-m1-naked.html
2fat2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2fly View Post
Bad gas,plugged carbs,Fuel tank vent plugged,charging system took a dump.....Could be one of a number of things.Check the charging system and get a multimeter and eliminate the easy stuff first.
Ok thank you. I also forgot to mention that it would still turn over after it died but it just would not start. After I hauled it back home I let it sit for a while and was able to get it started but I am just afraid to ride it very far now. Does that narrow a few possibilities down?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

[QUOTE=aninjazx7r;331110]Does that narrow a few possibilities down?[/QUOTYes.Eliminate the electrical most probably.It's fuel,fuel tank vent or possibly a coil going bad when it gets hot.Ride it until it does it again.When it does,try to start it.If it doesn't start then open the fuel tank cap for a minute.Try to start it again.Does it start? If it does then it's the fuel tank vent.If it won't start until it cools completely down then it's quite probably the coil(s) going bad.This is where you'd need a multimeter to test everything when it dies to see if you're getting voltage to the coils.

My ZX12R Build:

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)

Old 06-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=2fat2fly;331112]
Quote:
Does that narrow a few possibilities down?[/QUOTYes.Eliminate the electrical most probably.It's fuel,fuel tank vent or possibly a coil going bad when it gets hot.Ride it until it does it again.When it does,try to start it.If it doesn't start then open the fuel tank cap for a minute.Try to start it again.Does it start? If it does then it's the fuel tank vent.If it won't start until it cools completely down then it's quite probably the coil(s) going bad.This is where you'd need a multimeter to test everything when it dies to see if you're getting voltage to the coils.
Ok I will ride it and see. Just been kind of scared to ride and be stranded but i will just ride it close by. Thank you for the help.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=2fat2fly;331112]
Quote:
Does that narrow a few possibilities down?[/QUOTYes.Eliminate the electrical most probably.It's fuel,fuel tank vent or possibly a coil going bad when it gets hot.Ride it until it does it again.When it does,try to start it.If it doesn't start then open the fuel tank cap for a minute.Try to start it again.Does it start? If it does then it's the fuel tank vent.If it won't start until it cools completely down then it's quite probably the coil(s) going bad.This is where you'd need a multimeter to test everything when it dies to see if you're getting voltage to the coils.
If it is the coil(s) what typws of coil(s) will i have to buy and replace? Sorry i'm not very familiar with all of it yet. Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=aninjazx7r;331432]
Quote:

If it is the coil(s) what typws of coil(s) will i have to buy and replace? Sorry i'm not very familiar with all of it yet. Thanks
Just the stock type.You could score a set off Ebay for cheap if you're lucky.

My ZX12R Build:

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)

Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE=2fat2fly;331434]
Quote:

Just the stock type.You could score a set off Ebay for cheap if you're lucky.
Cool. So it would just be an ignition coil? Or are there other ones i would need to get? I'm pretty new to these engine parts.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 2002 ZX7R, 1994 ZX7 (Sold)

[QUOTE=aninjazx7r;331506]
Quote:

Cool. So it would just be an ignition coil? Or are there other ones i would need to get? I'm pretty new to these engine parts.
You can pick them up on eBay or some motorcycle salvage yards,try these guys:

http://www.drumhillcycle.com/

I just bought a shift lever from them and I KNOW I saw ignition coil sets for reasonable prices as well.

Of course,test your first,they may not even be defective.
ZX7RJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Keep in mind that you're still narrowing down the problem.None of us are there to assist you so you're testing different things to isolate it.It's very possible that it's the coils but we don't know for sure yet.

My ZX12R Build:

My 1993 ZX7R (M1)

Old 06-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Keep in mind that you're still narrowing down the problem.None of us are there to assist you so you're testing different things to isolate it.It's very possible that it's the coils but we don't know for sure yet.
Ok yea i will still test everything first but from what you were telling me it sounds like the coils because it wouldnt start until it had cooled down. So i will still have to test it first. Thank you for the website and all of the info. it has been very helpful
Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Could it also be the coil if it has a hard time starting? Almost everytime i try to start it, it takes a few times before it will start.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

everything you've described can be brought back to dirty carbs.. start there..
ohjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

[QUOTE=2fat2fly;331523]Keep in mind that you're still narrowing down the problem.None of us are there to assist yo

Last edited by aninjazx7r; 06-15-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

OK well I took out my air filter and cleaned it and haven't rode it since the time it died. Put it all back together and it would barely start with the choke on and then it died. I could hear it powering down and then it wouldn't even turn over like the battery is dead. The lights still come on when the key is turned. I was gonna put some seafoam in it but the damn thing wont start now. Do you have any ideas?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

I Ride: 98 zx-7r, 84 honda vf 750f

well first off welcome to the last generation of the zx7r. now there are a few tests to help break down where your problem may be. if you want to see if your getting ignition the easiest way is to remove a plug one at a time, connect it to the wire and touch the plug to the engine and try to start it, do this to every cylinder and if you can see a spark your probably in good shape ignition wise. in my experience with older bikes the most common fault is the fuel system. with your airbox pulled off spray a little bit of starting fluid in the intakes and try and start it. if it stumbles or tries to start than you most likely have a fuel issue and you will need to clean your carbs. be careful with starting fluid because too much can damage to your engine by detonation.

98 ZX7R -
84 VF 750 F - Blown Head Gasket (in repair on backburner...)

if your not living on the edge your taking up too much space
airgreesemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement