1997 ZX7R no spark.. need help! : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

1997 ZX7R no spark.. need help!

Hi, New to the forum, but done lots of reading to find a solution to my no spark problem with my bike.

A little back ground first: The bike ran normally for some time, but then had to
tap the junction box under the seat to get the bike to crank over. After some time using that
procedure, it took longer and longer for the bike to start (would just turn over, but eventually
start). Until where I am now with the problem of now spark, but bike will turn over.

I checked the grey wire to the CDI (has 6 V when both plugs are plugged in to the cdi, but 12V
when not plugged in.
I have 12 V going to 1 wire of each coil (both red), do all 4 wire need 12 V to the coils?
Coils and pick up coils read good.
When I ground out the green and black wire to the coils when bike is turning over, one side
has 4 V constant power, and the other side 0 V.
Any ideas what I could check next or what may be the problem?
Is there a way to "fool" the CDI to throw a spark to see if the CDI or pick up coils are good? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
kawi_zx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

no spark

I was reading that the ignition can create this problem, all the power goes through it, but, if the contacts inside are worn it can create the symptoms you describe.

Kawa kid
kawa kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 1996 ZX7R

our ignition wires/switches suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakednut View Post
Ok, so I tested everything I could possibly test with the meter. All results came back good. All ranges on the ignitor, fuse box, coils, ignition resistor etc.. were with in spec. Yet still no spark..So I drank some beers and surfed the net for a possible solution. I go back to the garage to check the on/off switch on the right side controls with the meter (which was good). I opened another beer and thought wtf, let me check for spark again..And believe it or not I had spark on all 4 wires...So I put everything back together and she started right up...I let it run for a while, then shut it down to put more gas. I tried it again and nothing, just cranked...So I shut the key and had another beer....Wondering what was going on...I let it sit for a while, turned the key on and it started right up again. I believe the problem is with the ignition switch, if I jiggle the key around when it doesn't want to start, it will start. So I shot some wd40 in the key slot and now it starts everytime. Two days of testing and aggravation and all it needed was some wd40.... But atleast it's fixed... I just have to put it all back together then I'll throw up some pics of the finished product..Thanks to everyone for the help.
try it.
KAWI_MUNSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I checked the voltage to the plug under the tank. The grey wire has 6V when ignition is on. Does anyone have info on what the values of each color wire should be when the ignition is on?
Also the 4 wires going to the coils, does anyone have info on what V each color should have when key is on, and when engine is turning over? Thanks a bunch
Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I also noticed only 2 wires to the coils are getting power - red wires. What would cause the other wires not to have voltage? I am thinking that might be where the problem is stemming from?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: 2002 ZX7R, 1994 ZX7 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi_zx7r View Post
I also noticed only 2 wires to the coils are getting power - red wires. What would cause the other wires not to have voltage? I am thinking that might be where the problem is stemming from?
The other wires may be ground wires,the two reds are most likely your power.
ZX7RJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I Ride: 2006 BMW K1200R

I had the same problem with my bike (91 ZX7R). I rebuilt the carbs and was trying to get it started. I had spark and finally got it fired up. It ran for 10 minutes then it ran out of gas. I turned the key off, put in some more gas and tried to start it again and nothing. It would crank over but no spark. At first I thought I fried something because I was jumping it off my truck. I did exactly what you are doing, checking every wire on the whole bike. After two days of checking, everything seemed to be up to spec. At this point I was ready to just buy a new CDI and hope for the best. But I decided to check for spark one last time...and guess what? I had spark again. WTF...now I was confused.
I cranked the bike and it started...turned the key off, then back on and again no spark..All along it was the ignition switch!! So what I do now is just turn the key on and off 3 or 4 times, then move it around in the cylinder (in the on position) and it cranks over..Probably corosion on the contacts inside the switch. Try this and see if it helps, if it does, buy a new ignition switch, it should solve the problem...Good luck..
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2008 Kymco MXU 150 (My son's quad)
2003 Yamaha TTR 125E (My son's dirtbike)
2000 BMW R1150GS-SOLD
1977 Harley Lowrider-Shovelhead
nakednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, still couldnt get anywhere... so I decided to bring it in to get check out, I can keep you posted if anyone is interested.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 1999 ZX-7R

This bike is notorious for ignition switch issues. The whole reason I even found this forum was researching why my bike quit...and quess what...ignition switch. I would focus-fire that bad boy until you are 200% certain that it ISN'T the issue.

And I'm gonna go try the WD40 trick in the key slot too. My bike does the same thing, lol.
ZeeExSevenAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

If the ignition switch was buggered would you still get the 6v to the grey wire and 12 v to the starter? I checked the plug under the gas tank and seemed to put out proper power. Wonder what a switch goes for at the stealership.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

I Ride: 1999 ZX-7R

Just the switch, $144. If you want the full set that includes the switch, gas tank, and rear seat locks, about $240-ish.
ZeeExSevenAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

I Ride: 2000 ZX7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi_zx7r View Post
If the ignition switch was buggered would you still get the 6v to the grey wire and 12 v to the starter? I checked the plug under the gas tank and seemed to put out proper power. Wonder what a switch goes for at the stealership.
Go to Ebay and you will find one much cheaper. As you read by everyone's response this is a very common issue. I have had my 7 for about 6 years and went through 2 ignition switches and had to re-solder wires on both of the hand grip switches. Best advice don't wash them or ride in the rain.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Go to Ebay and you will find one much cheaper. As you read by everyone's response this is a very common issue. I have had my 7 for about 6 years and went through 2 ignition switches and had to re-solder wires on both of the hand grip switches. Best advice don't wash them or ride in the rain.

Just wondering now you were able to pin point it to the ignition switch? Is there a way to trouble shoot it? The guy that I brought it to said the CDI was shot when he tested it. I hope the next box won't get fried by something on my bike, or maybe they do decide to go sometimes?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

I Ride: 98 Zx-7r

Smile problem solved

well haven't been on here much....I'm the type that reads thru the posts and faqs before asking same question lol. anyway took the advise of the guys and took ignition switch apart and cleaned the contacts inside of the switch...copper ones with some fine steel wool....and abracadabra it fires up every time now . thanks for the advise and help with my problem. by the way if you do decide to clean them make sure battery is unplugged lol had wool sparking on me haha.
frums143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

I Ride: 2006 BMW K1200R

Glad you figured it out. I knew it was the ignition switch. I still haven't changed mine. A have a few things to do during the winter and that's one of them.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2008 Kymco MXU 150 (My son's quad)
2003 Yamaha TTR 125E (My son's dirtbike)
2000 BMW R1150GS-SOLD
1977 Harley Lowrider-Shovelhead
nakednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement