What's it like to live with a ZX7? : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

What's it like to live with a ZX7?

Hello all, I'm a new member here and have some questions about owning a ZX7. I've long thought that the ZX7 is one of the best looking supersport motorcycles ever made. When I think about buying a motorcycle I imagine myself doing hundred mile leisurely rides just wandering around on warm sunny days. Though I did occasionally do just that with my last bike, most of the rides were less than 20 miles and in all kinds of weather both day and night. About 15 years ago I owned an FZR 600 and it was a fine motorcycle but I quickly came to dread rides longer than 30 minutes because it was so uncomfortable. On longer rides my neck and wrists got so sore that I had to get off the bike and walk around for a few minutes before I could bear to ride again.

Is the riding position painful on long rides? Do your hands go numb? What about the wind blast over the windscreen at freeway speeds?

What do they behave like in traffic? Are they tippy at low speeds, prone to head-shake, Peterbilt size blind spots, etc? Could a ZX7 be used as a fair weather commuter bike?

How about maintenance? What kind of real world intervals do these bikes need as far as carb synch, valve adjust, plugs, fuel filters, suspension seals, sprockets and chains, etc?

My brother, (who is a road-racing instructor and owns an R1), would have me believe that ZX7's weigh nearly as much as a Goldwing, are less nimble that a Harley, have sadistic ergonomics and don't make enough power to get out of there own way. I don't care if it is slower than current 600's or that it weighs a lot. For me buying a motorcycle has always been a decision based on passion, not practicality, and I have wanted a ZX7 for nearly 20 years.

In advance, thanks guys.
David P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 06 636, 01 Gsxr1000

i just beat an r1 @ the drag strip last friday night...the zx7r were made for corners...they are a track bike by breed...i ride mine rain or shine and hot or cold...they do good in traffic or atleast i think so...and as far as highway speeds i ride at 70-80mph sitting up and only get shake behind an 18 wheeler..i beat fuel injected bikes on mine...i have beat 600sand 750s on the streets and a few larger bikes at the strip...i dont want to i guess "toot my own horn" i consider myself a good rider and im not afraid to string a bike out this is my third zx7r and i recommend them for a reliable commuter that you can play on come the weekend
green_rocket_of_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 99' zx7r

Green Rocket hit it dead on... The instructor must of been on one that was set up wrong and not properly maintained. Their weight holds in the front which means you can rip off the line without being worried about planting youself on your back. And it will still nail the corners. Test ride it. You'll know what's up.
scotyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your brother is exaggerating, of course, but there is a grain of truth to what he says (aside from the idiotic Harley comparison). The 7R is no longer competitive on the track, though a really good rider will be able to hang with today's liter bikes on a tight circuit. I suppose that is true of a really good rider on most any bike.

Weight

The 7R is a porky bitch compared to more recent sportbikes. Not exactly Goldwing territory, but at ~515lbs wet they are heavier than many of the bikes on the road today. Turning radius is best described as "barge-like" as well, so low-speed maneuvering can be tricky. Most sportbikes are not terribly friendly at parking lot speeds, though, so not much difference there. It's much more noticeable when you are trying to jockey the bike around in a driveway or garage. Once you are moving the weight is not that much of an issue and actually proves beneficial to the stability of the bike in corners.

Power

Power is on par with today's 600's, though the extra cubes of the 7R allow a much wider spread of torque - exactly what you need on the street. In fact, the 7R makes as much torque as last year's GSXR750 up to 9500rpm. You don't have to be constantly running through the gears to make decent progress. Nobody runs around the streets at 12,000rpm all day long, so peak numbers can be misleading with a street bike. Engine internals are heavier than more modern bikes, so the 7R is a bit of a slow revver. Head-shake is nonexistent.

Commuting / Road Trips

I've been commuting on a 7R for a long time and travel quite a bit as well. In stop-n-go traffic no bike is fun, and the 7R's extra weight and heavy clutch pull make it worse. The last few years my commute has become 20 minutes of back roads where the bike really shines. Throw a tailbag on and you can carry anything you might need for the day, and be able to stop for a few things on the way home.

As far as road trips, it's a mixed bag. The riding position is pure race rep compared to today's sportbikes. You are leaning forward with your knees high. On the freeway, this position can get uncomfortable after a while so I frequently stretch my legs. You get some funny looks from other drivers as you let one or both legs hang freely at 75mph, but it does help. 3-4 hours of highway speeds will have you noticing a buzzing through the foot pegs that can become annoying. Back roads are much more fun anyway, so unless I really need to make time, I'll avoid the highways.

That said, the seat is wide and comfortable and you'll need fuel often enough that you'll have plenty of opportunities to get off the bike and relax a bit. Windblast with a stock screen hits you in the chest which helps to support your upper body. I found most double-bubble screens direct bugs right onto my visor, but a really high one like an Airblade works reasonably well.

There's plenty to like about the ZX-7R. They are solidly built and easy to maintain, one of the best-looking bikes ever and Kawasaki got the weight distribution right on the money. The front end stability is legendary, even today. You just need to be realistic about what you are getting into. This is not a bike for everyone. Depending on your needs, skill set and even your size, it may or may not be a good fit. Only you can make that determination.
Bozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just rode 1000 miles on my 1990 zx-750. I loved every minute of the ride but as you asked, my hands got numb a lot due to the seat position, also the seat is not meant for long rides. My inner thighs and hamstrings felt like dead flesh after riding for 3 hours str8 highway.

The windscreen works well, i can sit up doing 90 and i only feel shakes behind the big wheelers. I love my zx750, im sure i will have new & more exciting bikes in my future but i never want to let go of this 1990.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

your brother sounds like a typical r1 owner....... basically his bike handles like shit, and cant slow down quick enough in the corners...... the 7 is a fine bike, and has 'enough' power to do the job, yes its heavy, and thats a part of the reason it handles the way it does, the front end stays planted, and you don't have to worry about the rear end spooling up and spitting you up like you do on the r1- its cheap, its realible, its carburated, which is a challenge from time to time, and if you leave the freaking headlights alone, it has few electrical issues- I live in tualatin so if you have a problem with your bike I can help you out-
davewaibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

i love my zx7r my first bike was a 91 zx6 but since i got my 7r its great the seat posistion is not the most comfortable but isnt bad. the low speed turning is good maybe not compared to some newer and lighter bikes, but i think u can manage it. i changed my sporckets -1 in the front and stock in the back and it will power wheelie in first gear if im rolling about 3000 rpm, i decided im either going to do some work on my zx7r and make it a bit faster, or just go buy a hayabusa not sure thought i dont think i can give up my ninja
2000zx7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am planning to get a larger bike next year....i was looking toward the bmw 1000 that is coming out but as i did more research its more of a ducati fan kind of bike...traction control..anti lock brakes....whats the point of even owning a motorcycle if its controlled all over by a computer....i was looking at the 1000s and the kawi is butt ugly now...u cant go wrong with a gsxr1000 but i dont really feel like i need it because its just rediculous power and i feel like i will be in trouble all the damn time so im probably just going to get one of the larger bikes that dont do curves as well and mob it around and start spending more time at the track in the summers....but as far as the zx7r im going to overhaul it this winter..i wont ever sell this bike
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

i feel the same way i got a good deal on mine only cost me $1,500 its not pretty but that can always be worked out, i think it would be a good investment just to keep it, maybe one of theese days i will get to do what i really want to with it, but i need money lol
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

I Ride: 2002 ZX7R, 1994 ZX7 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rocket_of_doom View Post
I am planning to get a larger bike next year....i was looking toward the bmw 1000 that is coming out but as i did more research its more of a ducati fan kind of bike...traction control..anti lock brakes....whats the point of even owning a motorcycle if its controlled all over by a computer....i was looking at the 1000s and the kawi is butt ugly now...u cant go wrong with a gsxr1000 but i dont really feel like i need it because its just rediculous power and i feel like i will be in trouble all the damn time so im probably just going to get one of the larger bikes that dont do curves as well and mob it around and start spending more time at the track in the summers....but as far as the zx7r im going to overhaul it this winter..i wont ever sell this bike
That BMW s1000rr is going to be a sick bike,if I was looking to step up to the liter bike plate and had the spare money to blow I'd probably buy one.It's an inline 4 making 190+ horsepower that weighs 455lbs wet...Yeah,that's sick.They say it's gonna hit the market at about $13,800,that's not bad considering the performance,imho.

Btw,BMW gives you several options with the set up of the electronics,one of which is to turn them completely off.
ZX7RJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

I Ride: 2009 Kaw NinJa ZX10R, 2009 Kaw NinJa ZX6R (track bike)

I wouldn't trade mine for the world!
2007 ZX6R (sold)
fast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

I Ride: Kawasaki ZX7R 1999

I ride a ZX7R 1999, this is my first sport bike, and I would never change it for recent 600cc bikes... I tried my friend's Honda CBR 600RR 2006, and it's a toy... The thing is so small you don't even feel the bike.

Zx7 is quite big, but once you get the feel, low-speed manoeuvers won't be any trouble.

I often ride 300 Kms in a day(which is around 190 miles) and I don't really get too uncomfortable... It really ain't so bad when you get used to it.

Finally, the bike has a kick-ass look... Strongly recommend the bike.

Last edited by TheAceOfSpadez; 11-02-2009 at 08:57 AM.
TheAceOfSpadez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX7RJoe View Post
That BMW s1000rr is going to be a sick bike,if I was looking to step up to the liter bike plate and had the spare money to blow I'd probably buy one.It's an inline 4 making 190+ horsepower that weighs 455lbs wet...Yeah,that's sick.They say it's gonna hit the market at about $13,800,that's not bad considering the performance,imho.

Btw,BMW gives you several options with the set up of the electronics,one of which is to turn them completely off.
on paper the numbers are impressive..what im not interested in..everything on the bike is electronically controlled...traction control that from what ive seen cant be adjusted off...the anti lock brakes and electrical controlled steering damper...not really a motorcycle anymore riding should be like it was originally...a man,2 wheels,an engine,and some handlebars with a throttle...not a full shuffle traction control for the weather and anti lock brakes...the traction control had 4 settings all offer a bit of help...even on the race setting the bike is still restricted by a traction control...i think a gsxr1000 and r1 will be a better bike in the end...we will see though
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

I Ride: zx-7r P4

First of all hello to you all and second .... excuse my english please!

I don't think it's necesarly for me to make a new thread, this will do just fine as well.

I really need some help with one advise or two. I had a 1990 zxr750 model production 1991. I read this thread and it's like you are writteing about this 1990 model (heavy, sticked to corners like on tracks i'll just add that all that extra weight is makeing you feel unstoppable at high speed and from one momment to another you feel there's no speed limmit on this bike )
Ok, here's my problem .....I hate that sound, that sound of nails in a pan. i found 3 zx7r to chose from and all sound like that , all sounds like are broken, as the engine is running with some nails in it . that sound is natural on zx7r?
What should i do, i love this model, i have eyes for no other bike. What is that f...... noise cause it's driveing me nuts. can i make a guess, could that be the damn clutch!? and if it's the clutch, it's natural , it's normal?

Look, this is an example "" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYjikCFfT9I ""
and all i've seen so far sounds like that. Please help me!!!! Please tell me that sound is normal for kawasaki 750-ers and let me be happy with my future new bike

Thank you !

Last edited by brigadier; 11-02-2009 at 03:49 PM.
brigadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

do you know if the carburators are fcr style of carbs- kawis are a little noisy, but if they have flatslide carburators, they are very noisy
davewaibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

I Ride: 1990 KAWASAKI ZX-7 1986 ZL900 ELIMINATOR, 1985 ZL900 ELIMINATOR

i love my ZX-7 ! i have taken her on several long distance rides, & "yes" you will get a little sore after a while, because of it's riding position, ( the bike is build for racing ) but i think you'll get used to it. it really is a fun bike to ride !!!! i recommend it, & will never sell mine ! CHRIS

1990 ZX-7 NINJA
1989 ZX-7 NINJA (sold)
1985 ZL900 ELIMINATOR (X3)
1986 ZL900 ELIMINATOR
ZX-7 CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

I Ride: 99' zx7r

I'm not sayin I don't like my bike or anything, but your coming to a forum for people who love this bike. If you go to another bike forum they will tell you to get their bike... I can say this was my first bike and I did great, but really you need to go ride on the thing and come back and let us know what YOU think... I'm sue you'll be pleased
scotyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

To me living with a 7 or 7R everyday is like being retarded but not knowing you're retarded.I'm completely content with my bike(s).I really don't want anything else.I have to admit that I do have other bikes.I also ride them as well.But today was a beautiful day for a ride (Monday,November 2) and the only bike I thought of taking out was my ZX7R.It was also the only bike I rode today.That's got to tell you something.
2fat2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2fly View Post
To me living with a 7 or 7R everyday is like being retarded but not knowing you're retarded.I'm completely content with my bike(s).I really don't want anything else.I have to admit that I do have other bikes.I also ride them as well.But today was a beautiful day for a ride (Monday,November 2) and the only bike I thought of taking out was my ZX7R.It was also the only bike I rode today.That's got to tell you something.
reminds me of sitting down in the garage one day..had the zx7r key in my left hand and my cousins gsxr1000 key in my right hand...his bike is built to the gills and makes about 230hp.....and for some reason i still threw my leg over the 7r and took off thru the twisties lol
Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

now i havent ridden too many bikes, i thought i was a honda guy before i got a bike then all of a sudden i buy a 91 zx6 then a year later a 2000 zx7r now i think im stuck on kawi's i think there is just something about pulling up next to a newer bike and you either beat them or at least arent left in the dust even when running with some 1000's so i love it i just want it to be faster but still the same bike lol, and about the zx7r noise i had the same question form the longest time and have came to realize its normal, but if its not someone should let me know haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement