1991 Zx7r : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 2006 BMW K1200R

1991 Zx7r

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a 1991 ZX7R for this years winter project. The bike was sitting outside for 2 years uncovered. It is an original K bike with a clean title. As expected there is alot of rust but other wise not in too bad of shape. The guy I bought it from also gave me an extra aluminum tank and rear solo tail. So I figured for the price what the hell...The plastics are in good shape...except for the solo tail which has some cracking clearcoat..After cleaning the carbs (Kehlin FCR), changing all the fuel lines & filter, I finally got her started yesterday..sounds good..I going to need some ignition wires and new plugs..wires were very brittle but still giving spark. I have a few questions...Under the airbox I found two wire connectors not attached to anything...Also, when you turn on the ignition does your fuel pump make any noise? Mine does not, yesterday I had to manually add fuel to the carbs to get it running..I beleive the pump might be shot..I'm getting power to the connector but it doesn't seem to pump the fuel up to the carb..
Here's the pictures of the bike and the wires I was asking about..
http://1991zx7r.shutterfly.com/
Thanks in advance...
nakednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I Ride: 2002 ZX7R, 1994 ZX7 (Sold)

Wow,that bike actually looks to be in pretty good shape yet.Welcome to the forums!
ZX7RJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Holy $#!t man....that's in great shape for being outside and uncovered for 2 years...never mind it's age. I got 2 K's and 3 J models all 92...congrats on the great find. Only 179 of them produced in 91 and 92. May I ask how much you got it for?

KNUTS
Old 10-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

$600.00..But it needs lot of work...engine sounds good and plastics are decent..a few cracks/scratches here and there but nothing major..do you have any clue what those wires are for? I have to pick up a shop manual and a wiring diagram...
Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks ZX7RJoe....I currently have a 06' BMW K1200R that I ride everyday..I used to have a J bike..I bought it new at Staten Island Kawasaki in 1992...Awesome bike which I regret selling..I always wanted an K bike...so this one popped up and I said f**k it..thre's not many around and the one's in good condition are going for alot of $$...Good winter project...One thing is that someone painted the frame black....I want to strip that off and bring it back to original .....It's going to be a long winter...
Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakednut View Post
$600.00..But it needs lot of work...engine sounds good and plastics are decent..a few cracks/scratches here and there but nothing major..do you have any clue what those wires are for? I have to pick up a shop manual and a wiring diagram...
I have a pdf of the service manual,'89-'95 zx750,zx7 and zx7r.It's got wiring diagrams and everything in there.If you shoot me a pm with your regular email I should be able to send it to you.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks...PM sent
Old 10-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks...PM sent
Email sent,hope that works for you.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 1992 zx7,1991zx7,1997 harley pro street springer soft tail.

Check the fuel pump relay.If you want to sell the extra tank and solo tail let me know!Dude for $600 you stole that thing!!I wish i could find one.I just bought a zx-7 j for $500 from a tweek and you think you have alot of work to do.
1992zx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

The tail is after market and it's made of fiberglass. It has a few cracks in the paint but the fiberglass is fine..the extra tank in OEM..it's made of aluminum..it has some bubbles in the paint and the inside has to be cleaned real good..it sat with gas in it for a while. I'll try to take some detailed pics....pm me your email and 'll send them out to you...
Old 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow that bike looks hot...wish I could find a project like that
K916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

I have a 91 7R (K) as well.The wires are for a throttle position sensor/switch on the carbs.There is also a throttle enrichment solenoid on these bikes.It is on the left side of the frame beside/below the airbox assembly.This might be disconnected and removed.It also has a two wire plug going to it.
If the carbs have been jetted properly you won't need the enrichment solenoid.Sudco had the best kit available to properly jet these bikes.It was nearly double what a normal carb kit cost from what I remember.If you're having trouble getting yours to run right I can look at mine to see where everything is set and what jet sizes are used where to give you a baseline to start from. Yours might run perfectly with just a good carb cleaning though.Let me know how it works out for you.
2fat2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Right now the jets are 155 and 55. I can't remember what size the pilot was.These are very different carbs then normal cv carbs..The only thing attached to my carbs is the throttle cables, the fuel inlet hose and the idle adjustment cable..That's it..Is this normal? If someone has a pic of these carbs on the bike can you post it up? So I can see if I'm missing anthing..
Do I need the TPS and the solenoid for the bike to run? or are these just for emmissions? This bike used to be a track bike, so I'm assuming they removed whatever wasn't necessary for performance..
Also, when you turn the key on your bike can you hear the fuel pump turn on? I don't hear anything? When I removed the line to the carbs and cranked the bike no fuel was pumping out..
Sorry, one other question..The guy gave me two fuel tanks..both oem and both aluminum..The one that was on the bike had 4 outlets on the bottom..on and reserve valve..and 2 water drains from the filler neck..the other tank has 5 outlets..on and reserve..2 water drains..and one other right near the drains..fuel started to leak from the 5th outlet..so I capped it off for now..why would there be another fuel outlet from the bottom? anyone know why the tanks would be different? maybe one from a 91 and one from a 92?
Thanks for all your help.....
Old 10-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 zx7

I need to do some work on my carbs ( o-rings at the fuel T is leaking fuel) so I'll check to see what my fuel pump does with the fuel line disconnected at the carb, as my fuel pump doesn't make noise before I try to start it up like yours. Regardless of no noise from the fuel pump my bike is running strong.
The fuel pump on my injected gsxr makes noise before I start it up, but a fuel injected bike runs a higher psi than our carburated bike does. I can't help with the hoses on the carbs as my bike is not running the oem zx7r carbs but using the zx7 constant velocity carbs and all the emission hoses were removed by some other owner, sorry.
qwk 7/9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 zx7

My zx7 was purchased as a second bike but now after I put some time and money into it it's my first choice for fun on the street. If you fix the bike up you'll have fun ridding it.
qwk 7/9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

I Ride: '91 ZX7 '95 ZX9R

nice pick up, what part of nj r u from ??

i just picked up a 91 zx7r as well, originally the bike was a track bike as the previous owner told me, and he had to retire it from the track so got a salvage title for it i know nothing about them but i know that the motor sounds like it has after market cams in it and the exhaust is not stock as well as my suspension

maybe we can hang out sometime if u dont live too far from me
Spdracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

I Ride: 1992 zx7,1991zx7,1997 harley pro street springer soft tail.

Hey i you never sent me the picks of the parts????
1992zx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

damn....I forgot...I'll do it today
Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah, I kind of had a feeling the pump doesn't prime the system like a fuel injected bike.. I think the petcock might have be altered..It was a track bike so I think they only have off and on..no reserve..I noticed that when I turned the petcock to the off position gas was coming out of the reserve inlet..so when I get the new carb float bowl o-rings and new wires I'm going to see if thats the issue..They did have it connected wrong on the petcock when I changed the lines...of course I put them back correctly..so maybe thats the problem...we'll see....
Real quick does anyone know where I can get replacment parts for the FCR carbs?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

I Ride: 91 ZX7R,93 ZX7R,00 ZX12R, 87 YSR50, 87 GSXR750,93 ZX7, 92 ZX7

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of had a feeling the pump doesn't prime the system like a fuel injected bike.. I think the petcock might have be altered..It was a track bike so I think they only have off and on..no reserve..I noticed that when I turned the petcock to the off position gas was coming out of the reserve inlet..so when I get the new carb float bowl o-rings and new wires I'm going to see if thats the issue..They did have it connected wrong on the petcock when I changed the lines...of course I put them back correctly..so maybe thats the problem...we'll see....
Real quick does anyone know where I can get replacment parts for the FCR carbs?
http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html

http://www.carbparts.com/

Your local Kawasaki dealer will sell the parts for your factory flatslides as well.
2fat2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement