NEED HELP! Ignition Fuse keeps popping : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 1998 zx7r

NEED HELP! Ignition Fuse keeps popping

Hello, I am new to the site but I am in desperate need of some help... I just got a 98 zx7r and something is going wrong. When I first got the bike I could ride it no problem, but just recently it has started to shut off in the middle of riding it and I have traced it to the ignition fuse. When I take the 10amp fuse out of the fuse box and replace it with a new one, the bike starts fine and runs great...Then I try to ride it up the street and about a minute after I put it in gear and ride it, it dies and the ignition fuse is popped again. I have taken off the tank and airbox and everything and I can't see any obvious problems with the ignition wires. I am stuck and have no idea what to look at or try next...please help me, I sold my car and this is all I have right now so i am desperate to get back on the road. Thank you in advance if you can help me!
rsg1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Look through the wiring for a short circuit. Either that or check the specified rating for the fuse that keep blowing.
K916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 97 zx7r (p2)

more than likely youll come up with a short to ground.

youll want to check everything from the switch back-pulling the plastic loom and tape off, pull each wire out and look for cuts or chaffed spots, and more importantly on these bikes-burnt/melted wires...somthing as simple as running the wrong amperage headlights will toast certain wires (now once in awhile like mine-certain wires that melt together can potentially fry the cdi) so youre lucky its only blowing the fuse.

but like i said, youll want to inspect the whole harness untill you find the short-it could be shorting on the frame or onto another wire inside the harness. look for sharp bends in the wires and go buy some new protective loom, zip ties and tape. grease all the connectors with di-electric grease and run the hell out of it.

if you google carl salter manuals you can find a free 7r book, down at the bottom it shows the wire diagram for the whole bike
suprajztwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

remove the left lower, and see if the wires have melted to the header- also if you have removed the tank, look at the white ignition connector to see if that has melted as well- while your there, meter the ignition wires to ground and have someone turn the bars back and forth to see if the short is in the ignition switch- which is highly likely
davewaibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies, I think I found the problem...I disconnected the gauge cluster and tried to ride it, it worked perfectly. So I imagine that there is a short in the gauge cluster somewhere. Is there a good aftermarket one that I could buy? Has this happened to anybody out there?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I Ride: 97 zx7r (p2)

a short is a short...sure everyones experienced blown fuses, they can happen anywhere at anytime-depending on where the problem area is, somtimes multiple circuits can be involved (like on semi's that get a lot of corriosion from winter, 1 little chaffed spot, even if its not shorting out-the corrosion will eat through the wire and kill the circuit. then you have to dig from ecm to that particular switch/sensor/ect...)but like i said before-they dont fix themselves...digging into the harness is a must. atleast on a bike theres not a lot of wires to dissconnect. on some trucks, you can spend the better part of a day going through each wire because the harnesses are so complex these days...only needs 1 3cent connector and viola! atleast when you do it yourself your not out any money

if you havnt found damaged wires in the gauges wire harness, look for spots where a screw/wire holdown (or thingamabob)on the back of the gauges might be bumping the mounting bracket. otherwise pull each gauge out and look for burnt spots. replacing with aftermarket gauges isnt going to be cheap

Last edited by suprajztwenty; 03-26-2009 at 12:50 PM.
suprajztwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

yea I understand it just takes some searching, which I have begun tonight. I am in the rebuild stages of the bike (i got it with a wrecked front end) and I am just about to finish up with the rebuild, meaning I am in the stage where I am putting back together all of the electrical stuff (headlight, turn signals, etc...) anyway, the headlight and turn signals are not working and I am getting discouraged with this electrical system.

I know that I need to go through the wiring harness obviously but do you think that the short I was talking about above has anything to do with the headlight and turn signals? The headlight doesn't turn on with the power but the taillight does, and the turn signals don't flash nor does the turn signal indicator work on the gauge cluster...should I just look into getting a new fuse box and maybe signal relay as well as going through the whole harness with a resistance meter? Thanks again for the help...
Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

the headlight does not come on, untill the starter has been triggered, so that part of your description is fine- I wouldn't get a new fuse box, flasher relay is not functioning correctly, unless you have aftermarket led turnsignals, which you have to run a resistor in series to get it to flash correctly- especially if you have the clear blah,blah, tail light-- you have a simple short, and a little cleaning and testing you will have it under controll-, just pull the upper and start sorting it out-
davewaibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

I Ride: 2008 CBR1000RR, 2000 ZX9r sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by K916 View Post
check the specified rating for the fuse that keep blowing.
Don't know about a 98 zx7, but my 2000 zx9 uses a 20 amp fuse for the ignition. It would be worth checking out.
rileydeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

I Ride: Anything on 2. Fave toys currently are: 96 ZX7R Race, 96 ZX7R Street, 04 636, 01 R6 Race, 68 Shovel Chop, 47 Knuckle Chop, 73 CB350 Cafe, 67 Spitfire

Are you talking about the ignition fuse (labeled IG), or the main fuse? The main fuse is 30amp and the others are all 10 amp capacity.
stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

I Ride: '96 ZX7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by stack View Post
Are you talking about the ignition fuse (labeled IG), or the main fuse? The main fuse is 30amp and the others are all 10 amp capacity.
That's correct. The IG fuse should be 10A. You shouldn't need a manual to know the fuse size. The cover for the junction/fuse box should have all the fuse ratings there.
Zoolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement