02 zx7r rebuild Questions : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
» Sponsors
» Insurance
Go Back   ZX Forums > Kawasaki Motorcycles > ZX-7R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

I Ride: 02 ZX7

02 zx7r rebuild Questions

Putting my 02 7r back on the road soon. While I have it all apart, I wanted to make some adjustments to the carbs(jet kit), repaint, float bowl mod and air filter. I picked up a jet kit, although now after reading a bit it seems as if you can shim the stock needles and pick up a couple pilot jets that will work just as well. Oh well, it wasn't that expensive. Anyway I had a couple questions about tuning it.

I thought I bookmarked it, but I was trying to find jet sizes and settings for sea level. Anyone know what the sizes and settings are? I am in hawaii so it's pretty much a given that we're at low altitudes. Was it redmonkey.com?

I think suprajztwenty said somewhere that he used a uni filter to replace the stock one, mine is brittle and needs to be replaced. I was wondering if you used the fine or coarse foam? I figured fine was what I wanted, but you never know.
Kaneda_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a new K&N filter if your interested- would use foam in the tropics-between the bugs and the humidity-not a great combo-45.00, plus actual shipping-
davewaibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Ride: 1997 zx7=track bike, 03 TT600

Ya, Redmonkey.com/7r should have the info.
Racetech fork springs
zx12r rear shock
Factory Pro Jet Kit
4+ advancer

Last edited by ukilme; 03-05-2009 at 12:18 PM.
ukilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I Ride: 97 zx7r (p2)

my uni has both on it. 1 side is red (coarse) and the other is fine (yellow) i put the red side down and put the screen on the top (like the manual says)

stage 1 tuning isnt really a big deal at sea level. after putting the jets in it and setting the fuel height to 15.5mm (baseline for jetkits, 13mm stock) and pilot screws are 2.5 out (96+ baseline) and installing shims, run the bike for about 10 miles or so, give it plenty of time to warm up and try not to beat on it too hard (but with those settings i think youll be running a little rich) do a spark plug reading/smell the exhaust. mine was easy because the factory pro settings (like stated above) were dead on and i didnt have to do anything else. im playing with 182 inners and 178 outers right now (172 outers reccomended by FP with 182 in)

if youre running too rich you can screw in 1/4 turn on the pilot jets but if idle starts to crap out then go back to 2.5 and youll have to pull the carbs off again and adjust float height. theres a really good how to tune jet kits on the factory pro site, its what i used...

redmonkey is a stupid type of forum that i couldnt really figure out...i searched carb tune, jet kit tune, jet kit, tune, and everything else i could think of and found 1 result that sort of helped but it was exactly what FP's site had

Last edited by suprajztwenty; 03-05-2009 at 04:17 PM.
suprajztwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

it's really not that humid here and there's relatively no bugs in hawaii... so i think the foam will work great.

thanks for the other help so far.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprajztwenty View Post
after putting the jets in it and setting the fuel height to 15.5mm (baseline for jetkits, 13mm stock) and pilot screws are 2.5 out (96+ baseline) and installing shims
Just to be sure that this is the same as the r6 adjustment that I did.
When you say 15.5 mm fuel height, you mean:
-turn the carbs on their side with float bowls off
-tilt the carbs so that the floats and needle floats are barely resting in their holes
-measure the highest distance of the float to the flange of the carbs(top of float bowl), which should be 15.5 mm

or is it simpler than that?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

yes exactly what i meant- sorry. the service manual is more specific.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not sure if it was mentioned but the cheap jet kit that does the same thing is to swap the main jets to 150-155 outside 160-165 inside and shim the needles with a small 005" washer ,keep the stock float height at 15 1/2mm the stock main jets are set up way rich because of the kawasaki kleen-air system that you got rid of with the float bowl mod ...you connected the 2 air tubes on the valve cover together right?

as far as a k&n there have been tests that it flows less then a stock filter because of the different material and because of the oiled material I'd say go stock and Ive been told that by many zx7 race bike tuners.....

The pilot jet doesnt affect midrange and top end therefore 2.5 turns out is perfect as you are only adjusting idle and off idle to midrange transistion with that screw...after the main jet swap and the needle shim its advised that you get the carbs synced and you should be perfectly jetted
1992 kawi ZX7, 2003 fairings,1993 tank,Fcr carbs,muzzy titanium can on 1994 kawi "race kit" exhaust,,Race kit oil catch can ,RR rear light bracket,fp ignition advancer,FP jet kit,SS brake lines,polished frame,fairing stay,swingarm,gas cap,bored and stroked to 799cc, soon to be powered by a muzzy raptor engine
"Burn rubber,not your soul""
ASE cert. tech
quik89Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

^^^Thanks man, I wish I had those details before I purchased my jet kit. But I got it cheap so no biggie.
Is the 150/5 - 160/5 jet setting correct for a sea level altitude? Since you're in PA your settings could differ a little right?

My main jets are currently 170 and 180 with stock needles(jet kit arrives soon). My floats were way out of spec, some of them were way over... it has been sitting a while I suppose.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneda_77 View Post
^^^Thanks man, I wish I had those details before I purchased my jet kit. But I got it cheap so no biggie.
Is the 150/5 - 160/5 jet setting correct for a sea level altitude? Since you're in PA your settings could differ a little right?

My main jets are currently 170 and 180 with stock needles(jet kit arrives soon). My floats were way out of spec, some of them were way over... it has been sitting a while I suppose.
you dont go down in jet size for a 96+. im running 182 inner and 178 outer-seems to be running pretty strong...im just playing around-but ill probly go back to the 172 outers like the FP tune says to do
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I didn't even notice that he had the earlier style.

Got the dynojet / k&n jet kit in today. Looks good for regular street riding. Putting them in soon, but I got putting everything back together first.

Last edited by Kaneda_77; 03-11-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprajztwenty View Post
you dont go down in jet size for a 96+. im running 182 inner and 178 outer-seems to be running pretty strong...im just playing around-but ill probly go back to the 172 outers like the FP tune says to do

Yes you do ,for your info its the same set-up
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/...air_carbs.html

the stock higher main jets are for the kleen air system kawi installs , they are high because of the float bowl pressure not being able to let gas up into the main jet under hard acceleration because of the kleen-air vacuum system....Ken waters has been working on zx7 race bikes for a long time and Im sure he's right ask any hardcore zx7 owner they will agree
1992 kawi ZX7, 2003 fairings,1993 tank,Fcr carbs,muzzy titanium can on 1994 kawi "race kit" exhaust,,Race kit oil catch can ,RR rear light bracket,fp ignition advancer,FP jet kit,SS brake lines,polished frame,fairing stay,swingarm,gas cap,bored and stroked to 799cc, soon to be powered by a muzzy raptor engine
"Burn rubber,not your soul""
ASE cert. tech

Last edited by quik89Kat; 03-12-2009 at 12:03 AM.
quik89Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

If anyone has their tank and seat off and could snap a couple good quality photos that I could use for reference I would appreciate it. I am almost finished repainting and rebuilding this bad boy, but I wanna make sure that I hook everything up correctly.

Cleaning and jetting the carbs today and trying to put it back together for the most part.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik89Kat View Post
Yes you do ,for your info its the same set-up
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/...air_carbs.html

the stock higher main jets are for the kleen air system kawi installs , they are high because of the float bowl pressure not being able to let gas up into the main jet under hard acceleration because of the kleen-air vacuum system....Ken waters has been working on zx7 race bikes for a long time and Im sure he's right ask any hardcore zx7 owner they will agree
oh well...the smallest jets i have are 178 168 and the ones in it are 182 172. ill go down to the 178's today and i doubt ill see a difference, but now after reading all that i soppose its worth a shot atleast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement